All things Dundee FC

Just now, D TOTAL said:

I doubt it’s a million quid a year

He was about to 'leave' for Sunderland and Aberdeen asked what it would take to make him stay. HD said if they matched what Sunderland offered, he would. 

Aberdeen gave him a bumper £17k a week contract because he was finishing second - in a league where they had the second highest budget. 

That's like Dundee giving McPake a massive deal this summer - the only difference being nobody else will want the gormless bugger. 

50 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

This is spot on. People have been complaining all season that we have the 2nd best this and the 2nd best that. Well, we finished 2nd and the same folk are still moaning. McPake hasn’t done that bad all things considered and we finished the season where expected.

Ooft. What things considered?

Edited by Yenitit

9 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

He was about to 'leave' for Sunderland and Aberdeen asked what it would take to make him stay. HD said if they matched what Sunderland offered, he would. 

Aberdeen gave him a bumper £17k a week contract because he was finishing second - in a league where they had the second highest budget. 

That's like Dundee giving McPake a massive deal this summer - the only difference being nobody else will want the gormless bugger. 

I think that’s being a bit disingenuous, I agree in this current league we are In we are second to hearts , if we were in top flight we would be a bottom 6 financed whereas hearts,hibs and I’d stick my neck out and say yinited would be paying roughly the same as dons

3 minutes ago, D TOTAL said:

whereas hearts,hibs and I’d stick my neck out and say yinited would be paying roughly the same as dons

According to the top returns on Google (which can never be trusted, I know) they all have Aberdeen wages being 3 times more than Hibs and Dundee United - the two teams closest to them in the top flight. 

To be fair, McInnes got St Johnstone to the top flight which they've never been out of since, did he not?

I think McInnes gets a hard time. Very good manager. Did he underperform with Aberdeen? At times, yeah. He had a golden opportunity to win a title for a non-OF team when Rangers were out of the league and Celtic had Deila, but even then, the odds are stacked massively, massively against them to the point that it's not even worth bringing up to hold against him.

Could he have won another couple of cups? Sure, he didn't disgrace Aberdeen except against Celtic in those sorts of tournaments though which again, isn't unexpected.

Did he deserve the £17k? Absolutely not. That was the point Aberdeen should have let him go instead of letting his Aberdeen career fizzle out.

As for Hartley, he should have been punted that same night McInnes' Aberdeen put 7 past us. He'd firmly ran out of ideas and it was one of the most humiliating results in my lifetime alongside the first 6-2 derby defeat, Gretna scudding us in a semi final and Airdrie putting 7 past us. That said, he also gave us some of the best attacking football I'd seen since the Bonetti's. He gave us the Greg Stewart and Kane Hemmings combo that can be talked of in the same light as Coyne and Wright for the younger generation. He gave us our first legitimate promotion since we'd been fucked since 2005. He gave us our first top 6 finish since 2000. 

He then lost Stewart and Hemmings and fell out with GGH (with the rumour being that GGH's position was pretty much untenable after what went on). If United lost Shankland, Siegrist and Nicky Clark next season, they'd be in a relegation scrap. If pretty much any top flight team lost their 3 talisman, they'd be fucked. 

I've said before, but Hartley is in his 11th season of management. 2 of those seasons have been complete disasters. 1 season would cause debate(his second season up with us finishing 8th). His other 7? 4 promotions, a top 6 finish, saving Falkirk when they looked doomed and currently has Cove a bawhair away from getting the title ahead of two full time teams in Partick Thistle and Falkirk and whilst ultimately missing out on that title in the final 2 games, it's still really impressive stuff and he still has a chance of making Cove a Championship club by the season's end.

Compare that record to pretty much every other manager in Scotland and find me someone who's record is better than that. I'd wager that there'd be no more than a handful of names.

Fair enough, I get the idea that we should never go back as it's such a Dundee thing to do, but he's quite clearly been a successful and quality manager over his tenure as a manager and still our best since at least Jocky's 2nd spell if not Archie Knox.

Edited by Ludo*1

38 minutes ago, Spikethedee said:

I presume we are all hoping for a draw in both legs of the fife derby playoffs, with the second leg seeing four players from each side sent off and injuries aplenty??!!

It's not a true derby without a femur-splitting two-footer or five imo

Fair fucks to anyone that reads that above post. Kinda got on my soap box a bit!

I read it Ludo. All fair points well made. Even if we went after him I very much doubt he’d come back anyway.

It’s all a waste of typing, we know who will be the manager next season already.

1 hour ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Did Hartley not make a right mess of Falkirk?

He certainly did.  Another way to look at Hartley is that he had significant financial backing at Dundee in relation to other Championship sides and he did well.  As we know, when he lost Hemmings and Stewart things went from bad to worse.  He simply lost his way with the players he brought to the club.  Huge number of players in with very few making the grade.  This despite significant financial backing from Nelms.

At Cove he once again finds himself with significant financial backing in relation to the clubs around him does he not?

Don’t get me wrong there was some great football to watch under Hartley but in reality he just didn’t have what it takes to compete in the top flight.  He fully admitted in an interview after the Hamilton match at Dens, yes HAMILTON, that he didn’t know what else to do.  IIRC Hamilton’s manager at the time hasn’t exactly done on to greater things, yet he still out thought Hartley.