All things Dundee FC

16 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

I hate playing this game when we already have a manager as I think if McPake gets us promoted he should be our manager next season, no question. However if I really had to choose, my 3 would be: (I have my tin hat on for the last one)

1. Peter Grant
2. Paul Hartley (doubt he’d come back)
3. Kevin Thomson

Before anyone starts, I know we’ve gone down the inexperienced route before and it hasn’t worked but Kevin Thomson is slightly different for me. Current Rangers reserve manager working Uber people with huge knowledge of the game and as a player was probably one of the most intelligent I’ve seen.

I’m fully expecting a bucket load of abuse for the Thommo shout.

Firstly I’d be extremely surprised if McPake wasn’t manager nest season. If he managed to get through January/February after what we had gone through up until then, then I can’t see him being removed from his position after the 8 games unbeaten run we’re on. 

Why would you want Peter Grant when he’s just got Alloa relegated. Dick Campbell’s in the same position regarding part time team’s and I wouldn’t want him anywhere near our club. 

I’d immediately rule out Thomson through lack of experience. He also strikes me as the type of guy who would bail out at the 1st sign of trouble. 

The longer the likes of Stephen Robinson goes on out of the game the more likelyhood him and people of his standing in the game would consider us. Research has to be done behind the scenes on which manager’s in the lower leagues down south or in Scandinavia are building a reputation for themselves in regards of out performing where clubs should be and at attracting players. 

Robinson, Wright and McInnes would be getting sounded out before I’d be looking beyond them I think. 

1 huge thing in the club’s favour is the undoubted loyalty and finances Tim Keyes and John Nelms give to their manager’s. 

Edited by Yenitit

5 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Why would you want Peter Grant when he’s just got Alloa relegated. Dick Campbell’s in the same position regarding part time team’s and I wouldn’t want him anywhere near our club. 

I’d immediately rule out Thomson through lack of experience. He also strikes me as the type of guy who would bail out at the 1st sign of trouble. 

The longer the likes of Stephen Robinson goes on out of the game the more likelyhood him and people of his standing in the game would consider us. Research has to be done behind the scenes on which manager’s in the lower leagues down south or in Scandinavia are building a reputation for themselves in regards of out performing where clubs should be and at attracting players. 

Robinson, Wright and McInnes would be getting sounded out before I’d be looking beyond them I think. 

To be completely honest, like I said I don’t really want any of them right now as we have a manager, just gave my opinion on what’s out there. 

Peter Grant’s Alloa side played some good stuff and you could see what they were trying to do. Dick Campbell hasn’t been given much more freedom to go out and get players than Alloa, there’s a bit of a gap in finances there I would imagine. 

Steven Gerrard had the same role as Thomson before he went to Rangers.

Steven Robinson left Motherwell because he wanted a better job, why would he drop down to the Chanpionship?

Edited by RossDee01

7 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

To be completely honest, like I said I don’t really want any of them right now as we have a manager, just gave my opinion on what’s out there. 

Peter Grant’s Alloa side played some good stuff and you could see what they were trying to do. Dick Campbell hasn’t been given much more freedom to go out and get players than Alloa, there’s a bit of a gap in finances there I would imagine. 

Steven Gerrard had the same role as Thomson before he went to Rangers.

Steven Robinson left Motherwell because he wanted a better job, why would he drop down to the Chanpionship?

Was Robinson not frustrated after constantly having to rebuild Motherwell? The longer people like him are out the game they have to get back into it before being forgotten and yesterday’s man. Do I think he’d take our job in the Championship, no. I think he’d jump at our job in the top flight though. 

Edited by Yenitit

26 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

I hate playing this game when we already have a manager as I think if McPake gets us promoted he should be our manager next season, no question. However if I really had to choose, my 3 would be: (I have my tin hat on for the last one)

1. Peter Grant
3. Kevin Thomson

Before anyone starts, I know we’ve gone down the inexperienced route before and it hasn’t worked but Kevin Thomson is slightly different for me. Current Rangers reserve manager working under people with huge knowledge of the game and as a player was probably one of the most intelligent I’ve seen.

I’m fully expecting a bucket load of abuse for the Thommo shout.

To be fair, it’s your number one choice I would be giving you pelters for...

1 hour ago, harry94 said:

The summer McCann got the job full time, a reputable manager from Poland, Czeslaw Michniewicz was over in Scotland and had apparently expressed his interest. It seems we didn't even consider it and the guy is now in charge of Legia Warsaw.

I just get the impression we're a pretty closed shop and the owners are pretty particular with how they recruit, I've heard that Archie Knox is a welcome guest at games and gets listened to. I could very easily see someone like Gavin Strachan get the job.

Were we not supposedly close to appointing Archie Knox as Hartley's replacement until he said he didn't want to be a manager. We then tried to get Brian McClair and Archie Knox in but for whatever reason that fell through before we went for McCann.

Archie Knox is definitely a known presence round the club as he was heading up our scouting system when Nelms came in.

Edited by Ludo*1

As highlighted earlier by @Day of the Lords, a 2021 version of Archie Knox would be absolutely perfect. He easily cherry-picked the league below for players who are still revered at Dens 30 years later!

Regarding the Alex Neil subject, if Hearts are supposedly changing the ownership guard in the summer, expect to see him join up with Joe Savage (current Hearts Director of Football) for the 4th time. Robbie-boy, the past Championship expert will be out on his arse and not to Dens Park I may hopefully add! 

Back to ourselves, if James McPake achieves promotion, respect and he's going nowhere, however he would require experienced assistance for the following season. If he's unsuccessful the easy option for John Nelms' would be, let him continue for a 3rd season, even though the scant minuscule improvement over the past two seasons does not even remotely reflect the Americans' considerable financial investments.   

Two years ago my dream team was Jim Goodwin from Alloa, ably assisted by Charlie Adam, a free agent at the time, as player/assistant manager. 

Two years on it would be the experienced Tommy Wright, probably easily obtained from his contract at Kilmarnock FC tbh, assisted with a backroom team of Tony Docherty and Charlie Adam, whilst always looking to the future of the club.

Merely my opinion.  

6 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Think McInnes was on a million a year with the sheep, and for what? abject failure and constant runners up. No thanks.

I’d give my left nut for his abject failures and constant runners up at Dundee 

2 hours ago, RossDee01 said:

1. Peter Grant
3. Kevin Thomson

Glad you enjoyed the beer gardens mate. 

7 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

I actually reckon Kevin Thomson could be a great coach/gaffer but I don’t think we can afford to finance another outside the box punt

6 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Think McInnes was on a million a year with the sheep, and for what? abject failure and constant runners up. No thanks.

30 minutes ago, D TOTAL said:

I’d give my left nut for his abject failures and constant runners up at Dundee 

As above, me too @D TOTAL, however a reputed million per annum is not value for money, especially even at our Dens Park.

As per my previous posting, Tommy Wright, Tony Docherty and Charlie Adam, with considerable financial change leftover, happy days hopefully all round.

Only if James McPake is replaced though, which is highly unlikely however regardless what we think.

John Nelms', please read our pages and collective thoughts for goodness sake.

🖖 

I'm gonna put my tin hat on and say I'd give McPake another go if he gets us through to the final and whilst getting put out, we're not disgraced. I don't think McPake is the future and I don't think he's done a great job, but he'd have done enough to stay on to have another go.

My top 3 realistic choices would be:

1. Paul Hartley (the marmite option)

2. Stewart Petrie

3. Tony Docherty

46 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

Not been to any. Like I said, I’d keep McPake but that’s the realistic options. Folk suggesting McInnes, Robinson, Alec Neil and Lennon etc f**k me🤣

Edited by RossDee01

20 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'm gonna put my tin hat on and say I'd give McPake another go if he gets us through to the final and whilst getting put out, we're not disgraced. I don't think McPake is the future and I don't think he's done a great job, but he'd have done enough to stay on to have another go.

This is spot on. People have been complaining all season that we have the 2nd best this and the 2nd best that. Well, we finished 2nd and the same folk are still moaning. McPake hasn’t done that bad all things considered and we finished the season where expected.

Edited by RossDee01

11 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Seventeen (17!) thousand pounds per week of a wage. 

No thank you, senor. 

57 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Not if you're chucking a million a year at the bearded wonder.

I doubt it’s a million quid a year although in this I could well be wrong, but for as long as DM has been at Aberdeen their football he been fairly decent all in, Constantly challenging for 2nd and latterly(with gers) 3rd it’s only really been this season, the season everything worldwide, never mind football wise has went to pot that he had finally lost it.

I don’t think even Aberdeen have the revenue to support £1 mill per year for the gaffer, but if that’s the case I wonder what their players are on?