All things Dundee FC

I assumed TW would stay as he only just got his job there, Peter grant Iv not watched much of Alloa so I can’t really comment on him, doubt would Alec Neil take a step down(a couple of steps) doubtful

Neil was sacked by Preston. Sacked by Norwich before that. It’s 5 years since he had real success. He might not have too many options.

Alex Neil was wanted by West Brom as he was in the last year of his contract at Preston. The compensation was around £650,000.

Preston then handed him a bumper new 3 year deal to keep him.

There's not a chance his next move is such a significant pay cut. Additionally, he previously said he sees his future managerial career being based in England. Pie in the sky shout that.

That said, I don't see why our future candidates have to be managers that have just got their clubs relegated.

The likes of Stewart Petrie and Paul Hartley (appreciate that'd get a mixed response) are much more appealing than the likes of Hughes or Rice.

In terms of push the boat out options, Robinson may have readjusted his expectations of a top 3 club (which he'll never get), McInnes is another that was on a big contract that could be talked to (and if not, wouldn't be against his old assistant Doherty). Then there's the exotic foreign options like Ketsbaia and Wieghorst that could be exciting or a complete disaster.

Alternatively, we could do what United have done and look at options down South.

My point being, if we punted McPake and the genuine candidates were Brian Rice, John Hughes and Peter Grant then ignoring that Nelms consistently picks shite managers, we are doing something far wrong with our recruitment. We can easily pick up top flight quality players but only linked with managers whose next job will be at the lower end of the Championship if they're lucky?

2 hours ago, D TOTAL said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but if we do punt Mcpake and I can understand both arguments to keep and punt him, the replacements we’d likely have by the end of the season will likely be

Brian Rice if accies go down

john Hughes if county go down

peter grant I assume he’ll get sacked for Alloa going down

Gus”fuckin”McPherson 

unless their is a candidate that I can’t see I’d rather just stick or twist with Mcpake now that he actually has a run of form

That would sum up the standards and professionalism at our club if we ended up with any of them.

How about properly looking through the personnel available (including previous managers of English lower leagues) and target the man who could take us forward.

I was happy with Hartley at the time but apart from that i can't remember any appointments who have been thoughtful and out of the box (maybe Alex Rae)

Thank you.

Edited by Dundee-FC92

12 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Alex Neil was wanted by West Brom as he was in the last year of his contract at Preston. The compensation was around £650,000.

There's not a chance his next move is such a significant pay cut. Additionally, he previously said he sees his future managerial career being based in England. Pie in the sky shout that.

That said, I don't see why our future candidates have to be managers that have just got their clubs relegated.

The likes of Stewart Petrie and Paul Hartley (appreciate that'd get a mixed response) are much more appealing than the likes of Hughes or Rice.

In terms of push the boat out options, Robinson may have readjusted his expectations of a top 3 club (which he'll never get), McInnes is another that was on a big contract that could be talked to (and if not, wouldn't be against his old assistant Doherty). Then there's the exotic foreign options like Ketsbaia and Wieghorst that could be exciting or a complete disaster.

Alternatively, we could do what United have done and look at options down South.

My point being, if we punted McPake and the genuine candidates were Brian Rice, John Hughes and Peter Grant then ignoring that Nelms consistently picks shite managers, we are doing something far wrong with our recruitment. We can easily pick up top flight quality players but only linked with managers whose next job will be at the lower end of the Championship if they're lucky?

Correct.

We need to rise above the goldfish bowl of Scottish football.

Thank you.

It’s 2 years since West Brom wanted Neil. Things change. Quite frankly no more pie in the sky than McInnes, that a mad shout.
As for Ketsbaia and Weighorst jeeso. Somehow getting guys to give up half decent jobs and move countries is more realistic because they played for us briefly, decades ago?
Possibly Robinson but Hartley? There’s no going back, his skip has moved on.

Just now, Fifespud said:

It’s 2 years since West Brom wanted Neil. Things change. Quite frankly no more pie in the sky than McInnes, that a mad shout.
As for Ketsbaia and Weighorst jeeso. Somehow getting guys to give up half decent jobs and move countries is more realistic because they played for us briefly, decades ago?
Possibly Robinson but Hartley? There’s no going back, his skip bad moved on.

If McInnes is a mad shout then Neil is stratospheric.

Who else you suggesting other than a manager that's likely to a multi-millionaire based on his last job alone?

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

If McInnes is a mad shout then Neil is stratospheric.

Who else you suggesting other than a manager that's likely to a multi-millionaire based on his last job alone?

Surely both Mcinness and Neil would get jobs in the top league. I think these two would not take an interest in us.

Suggestions no clue however. 

Maybe someone down south with a point to prove.  Do some wonders here and then no doubt f**k off back down south. 

Just now, Robin.Hood said:

Surely both Mcinness and Neil would get jobs in the top league. I think these two would not take an interest in us.

Suggestions no clue however. 

Maybe someone down south with a point to prove.  Do some wonders here and then no doubt f**k off back down south. 

Yeah, I agree. I can't see either looking at us hence how I mentioned Tony Docherty as a more interesting and realistic option. Wonder what people would think of him?

The reality is there'll be lots of interesting candidates and the  Bobby Geddes with Charlie Adam 'dream team' will get it.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Yeah, I agree. I can't see either looking at us hence how I mentioned Tony Docherty as a more interesting and realistic option. Wonder what people would think of him?

The reality is there'll be lots of interesting candidates and the  Bobby Geddes with Charlie Adam 'dream team' will get it.

Docherty is a gd shout. Bottom paragraph please don't happen. This has been hard going. To the point we have had fans accepting third as good. 

Don't actually know how I feel with all this going on. Play offs gives us a chance. However I feel is pretty black and white. We don't go up he should walk / be punted, if we get promoted it will be some laugh in the top flight but you can't punt him. Ugh horrible 

There's no chance of us getting McInnes but the point is the next manager we get has to be something different and ambitious. I'm sick of this clubs choices which continually get more and more amateur.

On another note, wouldn't be surprised if Nelms sees this as a perfect week to roll out 21/22 season tickets knowing his American thought process.

Thank you.

58 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I was going to say, the best thing you could do is advertise the job and see who applies. Then I remembered it's Nelms who'll be making the appointment.

Speaking from our point of view I was pleasantly surprised to find out that our shortlist to replace Robinson was (apparently) Alexander, Tommy Wright, Simon Grayson and erm, Keith Lasley considering the candidates when Robinson got the job included John Hughes, Simo Valakari and again...Keith Lasley.

Without wanting to patronise, Dundee should be an appealing job given the amount of leeway managers seem to get from the owners and the financial backing they receive. Clearly Neil and McInnes are mental shouts but I'm certain there would be interesting names in there if the job became available and advertised.

McInnes is utterly overrated. His Aberdeen side bottled it against a very average Celtic side led by the hilarious Ronny Deila and for their entire period of being the other "big" club in the top division had f**k all to show for it other than a League Cup which was a shitefest won on pens against Caley iirc. He was emptied after seeing the team he put together go something like 8 games without scoring. 

@Dundee-FC92 is correct in regard to Rice etc. If we ended up chasing shite like that we'd be as well shutting the gates. I would hope (*snigger*) that Nelms has some sort of recruitment plan or idea of who he wants that can take the club forward in the event McPake needs binned. We are absolutely crying out for a 2021 version of Archie Knox's appointment in the 80s. Someone who can establish us in the Prem and god forbid, make us reasonably exciting to watch at the top level. 

(I am obviously fully aware that Nelms will probably give McPake a 3 years contract if he scrapes the play offs, or appoint a 2021 version of Dave "Coco" Smith if he doesn't)

I was going to say, the best thing you could do is advertise the job and see who applies. Then I remembered it's Nelms who'll be making the appointment.
Speaking from our point of view I was pleasantly surprised to find out that our shortlist to replace Robinson was (apparently) Alexander, Tommy Wright, Simon Grayson and erm, Keith Lasley considering the candidates when Robinson got the job included John Hughes, Simo Valakari and again...Keith Lasley.
Without wanting to patronise, Dundee should be an appealing job given the amount of leeway managers seem to get from the owners and the financial backing they receive. Clearly Neil and McInnes are mental shouts but I'm certain there would be interesting names in there if the job became available and advertised.

The summer McCann got the job full time, a reputable manager from Poland, Czeslaw Michniewicz was over in Scotland and had apparently expressed his interest. It seems we didn't even consider it and the guy is now in charge of Legia Warsaw.

I just get the impression we're a pretty closed shop and the owners are pretty particular with how they recruit, I've heard that Archie Knox is a welcome guest at games and gets listened to. I could very easily see someone like Gavin Strachan get the job.

5 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

McInnes is utterly overrated. His Aberdeen side bottled it against a very average Celtic side led by the hilarious Ronny Deila and for their entire period of being the other "big" club in the top division had f**k all to show for it other than a League Cup which was a shitefest won on pens against Caley iirc. He was emptied after seeing the team he put together go something like 8 games without scoring. 

@Dundee-FC92 is correct in regard to Rice etc. If we ended up chasing shite like that we'd be as well shutting the gates. I would hope (*snigger*) that Nelms has some sort of recruitment plan or idea of who he wants that can take the club forward in the event McPake needs binned. We are absolutely crying out for a 2021 version of Archie Knox's appointment

in the 80s. Someone who can establish us in the Prem and god forbid, make us reasonably exciting to watch at the top level. 

(I am obviously fully aware that Nelms will probably give McPake a 3 years contract if he scrapes the play offs, or appoint a 2021 version of Dave "Coco" Smith if he doesn't)

In the interview after appointing McIntyre Nelms said he had a database of potential new managers on his computer and that he updates it regularly.  I’ve attached a photo of the computer Nelms puts all his trust in.

B1F25151-2CB0-42A6-88A9-82302BAE77ED.jpeg

I hate playing this game when we already have a manager as I think if McPake gets us promoted he should be our manager next season, no question. However if I really had to choose, my 3 would be: (I have my tin hat on for the last one)

1. Peter Grant
2. Paul Hartley (doubt he’d come back)
3. Kevin Thomson

Before anyone starts, I know we’ve gone down the inexperienced route before and it hasn’t worked but Kevin Thomson is slightly different for me. Current Rangers reserve manager working under people with huge knowledge of the game and as a player was probably one of the most intelligent I’ve seen.

I’m fully expecting a bucket load of abuse for the Thommo shout.

Edited by RossDee01

11 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

This is absolutely delicious stuff. Beautiful in fact. If we don't go up I hope we play an active part in relegating you again. 

We fucked up the chance to do it to them in the Premiership as well under McCann although all we did was delay the inevitable.

I used to like Partick Thistle and think they were a good club with good people but the last 12 months have shown them up to be nothing but constant drivel spouting moaners. They’re adopting the “always the victim” attitude of the other lot in their city.

Very, very Old Firmy.