All things Dundee FC

On the issue of whether McPake should get a crack at the Premiership should he take us up -

I thought before the season that with the resources at our disposal an average of 2 points per game across the season should have been the aim. I did not expect us to win the league, but as it happens Hearts underperformed a little bit, and had we achieved the 2ppg I was hoping for we'd have run them close, if not possibly pipped them to the title given that one of the results at Tynecastle might have gone the other way.

So we finished with 45 points, 12 adrift of Hearts, when in reality I thought 54 or so was a perfectly reasonable expectation. Considering this along side the fact that in both his full seasons in charge McPake has only finally figured out the side and really got us playing around February/March, I think it's perfectly reasonable to suggest he has totally underwhelmed and underachieved, even in the eventuality that we are actually promoted via the playoffs. It's for this reason that I think it would be absolutely justified to bin him for a more capable and experienced manager in that scenario. If we are promoted and it takes McPake until February to get to grips with the Premiership, then we'll already be more or less relegated by that point anyway. That's not something I think the club can countenance by keeping him in post beyond the end of May.

1 minute ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Despite the sig, want McPake to succeed, genuinely do. The tactics have been naive, and that will probably be the downfall, but the signings have been top quality.

Yes, I agree. He has brought in some good players, the likes of Cummings and Dorrans would not have come to us if McPake wasn't in charge.

4 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Despite the sig, want McPake to succeed, genuinely do. The tactics have been naive, and that will probably be the downfall, but the signings have been top quality.

It’s our defending that worries me. Teams seem to be able to dance through us every game. Agree that McPakes signings have been great though, can’t take that away from him.

36 minutes ago, K.T said:

Personally I’m hoping the players have a huge as f**k promotion bonus in their contracts otherwise we’ve probably got little chance of going up.

FFS, you're worrying about a lack of will and drive? Don't think we would've went on this unbeaten stretch and snuck 2nd on the last day if it wasn't already there.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

17 minutes ago, K.T said:

It’s our defending that worries me. Teams seem to be able to dance through us every game. Agree that McPakes signings have been great though, can’t take that away from him.

Yeah, with himself being a defender as a player, you would think we would perform better in that in that area.

POTY, at the moment, is Ashcroft. I’ll wait and see what happens in the playoffs. His goals came at crucial moments and kept us in the chase for 2nd. Defensively, he has had to chop and change in systems and personnel. Back three? Back four? Keeper? Can’t remember a Dundee Team scoring more goals from corners than he has over the last couple of months.

38 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I am curious how McGhee will be used in the play-offs. Even if Fontaine's back, I'm curious if McGhee would stay in at CB beside Ashcroft.

i'd imagine if fontaine is back he'll go right into the team and mcghee will move back into midfield at the expense of anderson...and if marshall is fit he goes right back into the team at the expense of kerr....

23 minutes ago, Dusan Vrto said:

POTY, at the moment, is Ashcroft. I’ll wait and see what happens in the playoffs. His goals came at crucial moments and kept us in the chase for 2nd. Defensively, he has had to chop and change in systems and personnel. Back three? Back four? Keeper? Can’t remember a Dundee Team scoring more goals from corners than he has over the last couple of months.

Ashcroft was abysmal for large parts of the season defensively. Player of the whole season - not a chance. McMullen has made more of an impact than him since Ashcrofts goals have came.

Ashcroft has been good the last month or so, however.

1 hour ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

The upturn in form is only because he made the changes we were all calling for. We had to endure Forster and Hamilton for months on end along with lunacy such as Kerr in central midfield at Arbroath with Anderson and Robertson on the bench.

Thats only scratching the surface aswell i could go on for ages.

At this very moment though the changes have been made and we have a chance.

Thank you.

POTY is tough to call because we have only been consistently decent for the last couple of months. In that time McMullen has been the best for me. I have had to search deep into my soul to forgive the wee arab p***k. I have shouted a lot of abuse at the boy in recent years but I am now at peace with myself and forgive him - cracking wee player.

So looking at the whole season it is Gowser for me. Love that boy. Hardly ever lets us down. 

Player of the Season for me, probably somewhat predictably to some is Sir Charles of Adam.

He could easily have ended his footballing career elsewhere in the UK, however he came to us due to the fact, like us, he actually cares.

Recent close family private and personal losses and then indeed serious illness to himself will have tested his resolve and inner strength.

Yet, there he was, part of our team at age 35 until the 92nd minute at full-time last night, doing what he does best professionally. Not due to the wage packet, but because he actually cares.

Good luck to James McPake and his overall team, which after all is also yours and mine.

Thank you and regards.      

Edited by This Charming Man

Wild call yes, and I agree about some abysmal performances, but the early part of the season nobody knew what they were doing, what system they were playing or who’d be beside them. It’s his first year at the club and I still can’t recall a player who has scored more goals from corners, some of them crucial. Just remember most of our team have been fucking awful at some point during the season, apart from the more recent arrivals.

5 minutes ago, Dusan Vrto said:

Wild call yes, and I agree about some abysmal performances, but the early part of the season nobody knew what they were doing, what system they were playing or who’d be beside them. It’s his first year at the club and I still can’t recall a player who has scored more goals from corners, some of them crucial. Just remember most of our team have been fucking awful at some point during the season, apart from the more recent arrivals.

Adam was the best player in the league during the early stages of the season.

Thank you.