All things Dundee FC

16 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

To be fair, there'd have been outrage if Robertson was put out on loan at the start of the season. He's had a limited opportunity to nail a position this season, didn't quite grasp it (it was a difficult one to take) then Anderson stepped in and filled the void.

Anderson is in the position Robertson was last season and if he were to suddenly go out on loan there'd be quite rightly, uproar.

Has Robertson ever been good ?

I've seen potential in Anderson and he has did well.

Couple of wonder passes from Robertson... other than that I don't think I have ever thought he has been anything other than okay. However I do encourage playing more younger players. I'm in agreement going out on loan may have did him well but we don't have too many other youngsters ready to step up ? 

1 minute ago, Robin.Hood said:

Couple of wonder passes from Robertson... other than that I don't think I have ever thought he has been anything other than okay. However I do encourage playing more younger players. I'm in agreement going out on loan may have did him well but we don't have too many other youngsters ready to step up ? 

Yeah, I think he did really well in the midfield last season and was badly, badly missing in the first Derby of the season.

Sam Fisher & Max Anderson have stepped up this season. Robertson just turning 18 has had plenty of first team experience as has Calum Ferrie.

Reckon we're doing not badly at all in that regard. Strange to suggest otherwise!

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Yeah, I think he did really well in the midfield last season and was badly, badly missing in the first Derby of the season.

Sam Fisher & Max Anderson have stepped up this season. Robertson just turning 18 has had plenty of first team experience as has Calum Ferrie.

Reckon we're doing not badly at all in that regard. Strange to suggest otherwise!

So we have Fisher and Anderson.

Will ferrie get a chance or he end up like Gourlay and find himself elsewhere. 

We don't seem to give youth a chance really, maybe the odd game here n there but been a while since we really stuck with a youngster. 

Must admit I don't see much in Robertson compared to Anderson. Genuinely see a player in Anderson already in a short period of time. Robertson seen glimpses.

Fisher I'd like a run in the team. 

It depends entirely on what you're after in a player. I prefer mines to be composed, have a deft touch and have an ability to pick a pass. I want the game controlled. 

Anderson looks to have a bit of ability but is a bit "all arms and legs" - which is fine, when you're getting the breaks of the ball. The moment that stops I could see a bit of panic setting in for him and that's when the test of him will come. I can see Robertson have a horrible game and still look to take the ball on, still have that belief that he can make a difference. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

It depends entirely on what you're after in a player. I prefer mines to be composed, have a deft touch and have an ability to pick a pass. I want the game controlled. 

Anderson looks to have a bit of ability but is a bit "all arms and legs" - which is fine, when you're getting the breaks of the ball. The moment that stops I could see a bit of panic setting in for him and that's when the test of him will come. I can see Robertson have a horrible game and still look to take the ball on, still have that belief that he can make a difference. 

Yep, pretty much this.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

I agree regarding this. Then I see him make the pass ( say harkins) where it was a delightful pass but nobody on the end of it. I found myself at times with Robertson maybe a little too wasteful. Maybe if he was in a better team he may develop better ? I'm unsure but between the two we seem to be getting more from Anderson. That is not including scoring some goals also which is an added bonus.

Certainly age is on there side with good potential. 

13 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

So we have Fisher and Anderson.

Will ferrie get a chance or he end up like Gourlay and find himself elsewhere. 

We don't seem to give youth a chance really, maybe the odd game here n there but been a while since we really stuck with a youngster. 

Must admit I don't see much in Robertson compared to Anderson. Genuinely see a player in Anderson already in a short period of time. Robertson seen glimpses.

Fisher I'd like a run in the team. 

Robertson played almost 20 games last season at 16.

Anderson has nailed down a role this season.

Ferrie was given an opportunity and didn't take it. Harrison Sharp is another that is beginning to be talked highly of.

The likes of Moore, Fisher, Cameron and Mulligan have all had little bits of game time.

There's many things to criticise McPake for but his handling of youth has been better than pretty much any manager in the past goodness knows how long. Remember this is the first batch of McPake's youth and we won't see the by-products of Strachan's blueprint for another 5,6,7 year.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Robertson played almost 20 games last season at 16.

Anderson has nailed down a role this season.

Ferrie was given an opportunity and didn't take it. Harrison Sharp is another that is beginning to be talked highly of.

The likes of Moore, Fisher, Cameron and Mulligan have all had little bits of game time.

There's many things to criticise McPake for but his handling of youth has been better than pretty much any manager in the past goodness knows how long. Remember this is the first batch of McPake's youth and we won't see the by-products of Strachan's blueprint for another 5,6,7 year.

Yes he gave Robertson a lot of game time ( everyone knows mcpake brought him with him from coaching the age group he did ). Didn't actually realise was as much and then yeah like I said were glimpses of a player. Hopefully he becomes good and we make some money.

How much opportunity was Ferrie given compared to say Robertson?

Genuinely happy he is keeping playing Anderson but you can't really drop him as he is adding to the team and again that is with goals also.

Said at start of season I'm all for youth however I just hope we don't just chuck them like we always have done for many years ( sorta already pointed out).

Macintosh I remember could have been something. Sure he was scouted by bigger teams.

Would like to see a young striker given a chance.

Loan spells are great though and I know from Strachan that is something he is huge on.

Fisher is being used as a stop gap because of injuries but in my opinion his level is not high enough to be a first choice for us. He lacks height and presence, teams are already targeting him with long balls, that won’t do his confidence any good. Also we have airbrushed out the fact it was his poor pass that led to Gowser getting caught in possession leading to the Ayr goal. There looks to be a bit of a player there but the games we have between now and the end of the season ain’t for him, out of choice.

Just now, Fifespud said:

Fisher is being used as a stop gap because of injuries but in my opinion his level is not high enough to be a first choice for us. He lacks height and presence, teams are already targeting him with long balls, that won’t do his confidence any good. Also we have airbrushed out the fact it was his poor pass that led to Gowser getting caught in possession leading to the Ayr goal. There looks to be a bit of a player there but the games we have between now and the end of the season ain’t for him, out of choice.

He's certainly been a step above Fontaine the last few games.

If we’re going by height ferrie is smaller than twardzik was and if I remember correctly folk didn’t like twardzik as he was too small

i can only assume Robertson was kept at the the start of the season to learn from Adam , that’s the only way I can see him sticking around as I can’t see him having game time except a few minutes at the end

I would have said the same about Anderson but kudos to him for grasping his opportunities so far 

it’s been pointed out how huge our squad is how many of them are under 19 and never gonna get a go and that’s with 5 out on loan already 

Just now, Fifespud said:

You are not seeing the games the same way I am Ludo, which is cool.

Take Fisher to the side for a second. Do you think Fontaine has been playing well? 

Take Fisher to the side for a second. Do you think Fontaine has been playing well? 

I think he’s easily the best centre half on our books. A steadying influence. He’s pretty mediocre nonetheless. Plus Fisher can’t throw it as far as our, not especially long, long through guy.
As I say Fisher looks a wee bit of a player but doesn’t yet have the physique. Anyone who saw the Alloa game will know to launch high balls at him, wouldn’t be fair to the lad. Queue our managerial genius starting him from now to the end of the season.

Guest Wieghortsnut
1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

Like you were

1 hour ago, D TOTAL said:

If we’re going by height ferrie is smaller than twardzik was and if I remember correctly folk didn’t like twardzik as he was too small

Was away to post about the height, don't think Ferrie is big enough for a keeper.

1 hour ago, Fifespud said:

I think he’s easily the best centre half on our books. A steadying influence. He’s pretty mediocre nonetheless. Plus Fisher can’t throw it as far as our, not especially long, long through guy.
As I say Fisher looks a wee bit of a player but doesn’t yet have the physique. Anyone who saw the Alloa game will know to launch high balls at him, wouldn’t be fair to the lad. Queue our managerial genius starting him from now to the end of the season.

Fair enough, yeah we disagree, I think Fontaine is an absolute bombscare and easily the worst CH at the club other than the previously mentioned Forster. I'd be starting Fisher every day of the week before him. Agree to disagree!

2 hours ago, D TOTAL said:

i can only assume Robertson was kept at the the start of the season to learn from Adam , that’s the only way I can see him sticking around as I can’t see him having game time except a few minutes at the end

I would have said the same about Anderson but kudos to him for grasping his opportunities so far 

it’s been pointed out how huge our squad is how many of them are under 19 and never gonna get a go and that’s with 5 out on loan already 

Going by Google - Ferrie is 6'1, Twardzik was 5'11 and Speroni was just 6'0.

We have a squad of 22 players that are 21 or over. At the moment we have Robertson, Anderson, Fisher,  & one of the Strachan's (Not sure if it's Luke or Danny - the other is at Peterhead) that are listed on the first team website as being currently at the club.  Michael Cunningham was at Edinburgh City until the lower leagues came back so dunno if he'll return there or not.

In other news, I see the Courier is listing our 'GOAT's:

The Courier

Has to be Alan Gilzean in terms of whilst in a Dundee shirt and Claudio Caniggia as a player overall? The likes of Jocky, Cox & Wallace can be considered some of our biggest ever legends, but as the best player ever? Billy Steele or Charlie Cooke also get raved about, I suppose.

Georgi Nemsadze in my lifetime, however. Nothing comes close to his class.

4 hours ago, Robin.Hood said:

Yeah I think he’s been been good. Honestly don’t think I’ve saw someone technically as good as him at such a young age at our club in terms of playing off of both feet. Took me a fair bit of time to say he’s probably right footed which is a compliment. Plays the role of keeping possession and the ball ticking over very well imo. His 1 glaring improvement he needs to make is to be more forward thinking in his passing. 

Very impressed so far and think he’s got a right good career ahead of him in the game. I like the look of the other young boy the same age as Finn who’s out injured as well, think it’s Mulligan. Cameron looked good in the few friendlies I saw him in for his age as well. Hung out to dry by he who shan’t be named tho on his starting debut. 

Great to see youth players breaking through into the 1st team squad finally. Through time it’ll help to keep the wage bill down as well.