All things Dundee FC

15 hours ago, harry94 said:

He's a c**t but I think he takes too much of the wrap for Kamara. By all accounts, Kamara was doing all he could do to force his move away (although even playing at half his capacity, he made things look a lot better) and at the point of feigning knocks etc. In that situation with a 4 week window inheriting one of the worst squads in top flight history, I can see how any new manager would have wanted to move on from that. Kearney put him to shame though in how he dealt with a lot of the same issues with St Mirren and stuck to a coherent plan over time whilst McIntyre kept throwing shit at the wall and seeing what stuck.

Neil McCann is the worst manager in my lifetime in terms of the long term damage he caused in my opinion, genuinely think his impact was much worse than McIntyre who didn't really get the chance to sign a squad (McPake only inherited Nelson and Todd from McIntyre IIRC with the board letting him offload Curran and Davies). The whole stuff about an 'eye for a player' was basically a result of a scattergun approach that was geared towards a very high expense outsourced approach to recruitment to that one agency. I mean on Kamara, of course an internationalist playmaker from the Arsenal academy on decent money was going to have some ability. The only picks he really had in his own circle and who didn't appear to be sourced by that group was Lewis Spence, Calvin Miller, Simon Murray and Scott Allan.

Things went bad with Hartley and he lost the plot in the balance of his recruitment as his spell went on but at least there were some of the makings of an actual team he put together and when he did go, McCann could come in and see a team who 5 or 6 games before were getting some decent results and just needed a bit of a refresh and tweak to get moving again. When McCann left us, I genuinely don't know if the squad that was left would have reached mid table in the second tier. The 3-0 defeat against Ayr with Mark Kerr bossing the midfield (Spence was almost in tears) and Jamie Adams with the cigars out really flattered us, should have been 5 or 6.

Early into McCann's spell when we were faltering, Killie looked very similar to us results wise and were playing some decent stuff under McCulloch but not getting results and consistently losing very soft goals. Their board had the balls to see he wasn't up to that level of job and intervene early and get a proper qualified manager. Similarly whilst Motherwell took a gamble on Robinson who had an unsuccessful management spell, he was at least an accomplished first team coach. It's not their fault they are in the situation but we're giving decent full-time budgets and management responsibilities to guys who would struggle for a job in Angus.

McCann also signed Jack Hendry. 

I've always taken the Kamara downing tools rumour with a grain of salt. All of those rumours to me seemed to be coming from the McIntyre camp... so basically I don't trust them.

Also McIntyre gets hired in mid-Oct and almost immediately rubbishes the squad in the local and national press repeatedly. In one way or another he says he'll need to bin the all and many of them won't see out the season.

Was our squad terrible - yes, but we still had 2 and a half months (some 12 games or so until Jan 1) to the window! It was a masterclass in garbage management. He was practically begging the players to call it quits, kamara included. 

Anyways I thought he also sucked at in game management as well. So he was awful in all aspects of the job and it will take some going to outdo him the worst Dundee manager ever sweepstakes, all imo. He was awful.

Edited by CanadianDee

I'll list all of McCann's signings in full. You can decide who was a dud and who was not.

Roarie Deacon
Scott Allan
Lewis Spence
Randy Wolters
Jack Hendry
Glen Kamara
Sofien Moussa
Eliott Parish
Josh Meekings
Jon Aurtenetxe
A-Jay Leitch Smith
Jeremy Malherbe
Daniel Jefferies
Cedwyn Scott
Simon Murray
Genseric Kusunga
Steven Caulker
Elton Ngwatala
Karl Madianga
Jack Hamilton
Nathan Ralph
Jean Mendy
Adil Nabi
Kenny Miller
Benjamin Kallman
Ryan Inniss
Calvin Miller

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'll list all of McCann's signings in full. You can decide who was a dud and who was not.

Roarie Deacon- could have been good
Scott Allan- very good just with a better striker would have made more of an impact 
Lewis Spence-bang average but nowhere near our worst
Randy Wolters-less said
Jack Hendry-record fee says it all
Glen Kamara-what should have been a record fee
Sofien Moussa-not a fan , but not our worst
Eliott Parish-good 2nd choice 
Josh Meekings-good signing on the whole of not for injuries
Jon Aurtenetxe-decent enough 
A-Jay Leitch Smith-good impact 
Jeremy Malherbe- pointless 
Daniel Jefferies-sure he was highly rated 
Cedwyn Scott-not given a chance
Simon Murray-can’t fault his heart, just his ability 
Genseric Kusunga-more hit than miss
Steven Caulker- still can’t believe this
Elton Ngwatala-should have been given longer 
Karl Madianga-ditto
Jack Hamilton-good 2nd keeper, shame we paid a fee
Nathan Ralph-people liked him, I didn’t 
Jean Mendy-pish
Adil Nabi-could have done more
Kenny Miller-decent enough 
Benjamin Kallman-not much of an impact 
Ryan Inniss- not ready for 1st team football 
Calvin Miller- promised more than he gave

Only my opinion 

52 minutes ago, CanadianDee said:

McCann also signed Jack Hendry. 

I've always taken the Kamara downing tools rumour with a grain of salt. All of those rumours to me seemed to be coming from the McIntyre camp... so basically I don't trust them.

Also McIntyre gets hired in mid-Oct and almost immediately rubishes the squad in the local and national press repeatedly. In one way or another he says he'll need to bin the all and many of them won't see out the season.

Was our squad terrible - yes, but we still had 2 and a half months (some 12 games or so until Jan 1) to the window! It was a masterclass in garbage management. He was practically begging the players to call it quits, kamara included. 

Anyways I thought he also sucked at in game management as well. So he was awful in all aspects of the job and it will take some going to outdo him the worst Dundee manager ever sweepstakes, all imo. He was awful.

Witnessed Glen Kamara's last 45 mins for the club when he was hooked at half time in a festive home game against St Johnstone. Probably the only competent game management decision ever made by Jim McIntyre at Dens. The fellers performance was a disgrace to his profession and he had indeed by that time clearly 'downed the tools'.

Neil McCann indeed had a scatter-gun signing policy so it would come as no surprise he would have an approx 10 -15% successful signing rate, performance wise anyway. In fairness to him he could certainly talk a good game whilst being an incompetent manager. Jim McIntyre did not possess the rhetoric, indeed he was difficult to understand at the best of times when interviewed and he contented himself with merely being an incompetent manager.

James McPake, his heart's in the right place, most signings are positive for that matter. The main issue is he displays after 20 months in post very little progression or personal development. His learning curve is disappointingly horizontal at best.

Again, like others, merely my opinion.    

19 minutes ago, D TOTAL said:

I’m still thankful he picked Kamara over nils rutted wherever the hell he ended up

Funnily enough, a German team also sold him for £50k around the same time as Kamara. Transfrmarkt suggests he's left football though.

Reckon he could have been a player.

Out of the three managers:

Likeability:

James McPake
Neil McCann
Jim McIntyre

Signings:

James McPake
Neil McCann (Due to said scattergun approach)
Jim McIntyre

Managerial Ability Whilst At Us:

Neil McCann
James McPake
Jim McIntyre

Should have been appointed in the first place:

None

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Funnily enough, a German team also sold him for £50k around the same time as Kamara. Transfrmarkt suggests he's left football though.

Reckon he could have been a player.

Wikipedia says lawyer, so good luck that I suppose 

McIntyre was shite but there's no way he was worse than the current incumbent. McIntyre at least has managed to get out of this division easily when we'll backed by his board. McPake has been backed in terms of player outlay more than anyone in years and he still hasn't got a clue. As I've said many times though, the biggest problem is Nelms. He's useless at recruiting managers. Promoting a youth coach with little experience and throwing money at him is Football Manager levels of idiocy.

Just now, Yenitit said:

McIntyre the worst for me by a country mile. No one will ever come near his level of pishyness for me. 

100% this.

I'd extend McPake's contract before I'd have to relive McIntyre's spell.

In other news, Declan McDaid liking this goal on Twitter reminded me of one of the few goals against us that you just need to say, 'fair play.'

Still McDaid trying to be edgy? :lol:

McIntyre was shite but there's no way he was worse than the current incumbent. McIntyre at least has managed to get out of this division easily when we'll backed by his board. McPake has been backed in terms of player outlay more than anyone in years and he still hasn't got a clue. As I've said many times though, the biggest problem is Nelms. He's useless at recruiting managers. Promoting a youth coach with little experience and throwing money at him is Football Manager levels of idiocy.

100% this.

The fact McIntyre was a dab and the Billy Dodds farrago meant he was 1/2 beaten before he started and for those reasons should never been appointed but there is no way, in my opinion, he can’t be ranked lower as a manager than McPake. Time mists the memory but he’s down there with Kernaghan and Chisholm. A clueless pap.

I think they were all equally shite in their own right.

McIntyre was a jobby and will always be a jobby. The whole thing was a terrible idea and should never have been tabled as a legitimate option.

McCann had a tombola on the go every game with no real idea how to set up what he had. He also had barmy policies in place like fining the French players HE SIGNED for talking French.

McPake - All the gear no idea.

Edited by Crawford

1 minute ago, Crawford said:

I think they were all equally shite in their own right.

McIntyre was a jobby and will always be a jobby. The whole thing was a terrible idea and should never have been tabled as a legitimate option.

McCann had a tombola on the go every game with no real idea how to set up what he had. He also had barmy policies in place like fining the French players HE SIGNED for talking French.

McPake - All the gear no idea.

McCann also said he was learning French so he could communicate better with his French speaking contingent of the dressing room. He must have had a couple of shite lessons and went mental at the wee owl on Duolingo.

52 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

McCann also said he was learning French so he could communicate better with his French speaking contingent of the dressing room. He must have had a couple of shite lessons and went mental at the wee owl on Duolingo.

I personally wish we had a Sunderland/Hearts documentary going on so we could see Neil trying to speak to them in pigeon French. At least something worthwhile would've came from that season if it did lol