All things Dundee FC

Had a bit more time to think about it and my first rant wasn't cathartic enough so here's another moanfest:

An embarrassing and quite frankly pathetic result.

I honestly cannot remember James McPake using his subs effectively over the course of any game since he has been in charge. Tonight we have a player on the pitch that's playing RW but is predominantly a CM. We have a CM on the bench that played 21 times in the position last season and 9 bit part appearances there this season. We have another that has broken through this season and play CM 7 times this season. Tonight? James McPake decides to play a RB that can't get a game in his preferred position in that role as we get our first injury.

Not a lot more can be said about Jordon Forster other than he is a horrific football player, has very few redeeming qualities and once again managed to sell the jersey. His sliced clearance was pathetic, his marking at the corner was pathetic and he's just a pathetic footballer really.

Osman Sow couldn't have been more cowardly if he tried when Charlie Adam once again tried to save the day for us with a bit of magic in the dying embers. He put the ball pretty much on the goalline yet a defender about a foot smaller than Sow outmuscled, outmaneuvred and made it look like he was about 7ft tall as he soared above Sow.

Does anyone genuinely believe we have it in us to get a result against Ayr on Tuesday if McGhee and Fontaine are out? I can't bear to see Jordon Forster play for us once again and god only knows who McPake will decide to slot into central midfield.

We are unbeaten in 8 and that's statistically very good and there's been some cracking results in there, but drawing away to Arbroath, getting took to ET by Bonnyrigg Rose and losing a 3 goal lead in 10 minutes at home to Dunfermline are important components of that run.

Extrapolate that over our season so far. In the 16 games since the league started, I'd say about 10 of them have ended in disappointment.

It's just not good enough.

A win on Tuesday night would go some way to making me feel a lot better, but I just have zero confidence or belief. The only game I've truly been elated at this season was winning against Hearts at Dens and our Boxing Day win away to QotS.

My default position, pretty much from last season is that McPake isn't up to the job. Not even close. Whilst the recent scoring run is impressive (on the face of it) we shouldn't be forgetting that it included. The only genuinely solid performances recently were half the Hearts game, drubbing QoS away and a reasonably decent performance at home to Alloa. You could quite easily argue such results should be expected as a minimum considering our budget and being able to sign Charlie Adam. The 1-1 tonight is irrelevant as far as i'm concerned.  With a full strength squad to choose from McPake actually is capable of putting out a reasonable starting XI, but then so would most of us be. The problems come when he has to make changes, subs, adapt tactics to combat what the opposition are doing etc. He simply isn't capable of doing these things and he's not going to learn how to quickly enough, if at all. My concerns largely mirror last season's, in that we're wasting a more than decent budget and potentially decent set of players (minus a handful of glaring personnel errors) on a manager who is not, and never will be up to the job. 

I've probably not got this entirely correct, but I think this is a fair summary of our performances thus far. 

League. 

• Hearts 6-2 Dees - Absolutely fucking abject, and lucky it was only 6. Massive formation and tactical blunder by McPake basically sold the fucking game by HT
  • Dees 1-0 Morton - Shite performance luckily yielding a win thanks to Morton's total ineffectiveness as an attacking threat
  • Dees 1-1 Raith - Weird sub = concession of late equaliser
  • Alloa 3-3 Dees - Utter shambles at the back, only avoided defeat thanks to Sir Charles
  • Ayr 2-0 Dees - Another surrender, absolutely toothless up front
  • Dees 1-0 Arbroath - boring as f**k, holding on for the last 20-30 mins
  • ICT 2-2 Dees  - Shat it from 1-0 up, lucky to scrape a draw in the end
  • Dees 3-3 Dunfy - 3-0 up with 15 mins left. Absolutely fucking ludicrous, not helped by a nonsense sub at 3-2
  • QOS 1-3 Dees - Finally a solid performance from the team, and Sow
  • Dees 3-1 Alloa - Solid performance again at least in the second half. Fucking nonsense goal to concede though. 
  • Dees 3-1 Hearts - Most satisfying of the season, panicked for much of the second half, late pen to calm things a bit
  • Arbroath 1-1 Dees - Early lead, failed to build on it thanks to missed sitters and predictably allowed Arbroath to come back into it

Other than the QOS, Alloa and Hearts games that is utterly uninspiring. 

Cups

• Covid beat Forfar 3-0
  • Hanging on to a 1-0 at home to 9 man Cove until 2 late, flattering goals
  • Two utterly insipid performances away to Hibs
  • Scraping an ET win at home to a junior side Live on TV

Again, utterly uninspiring. At least we're still in the Scottish but I expect the Saints game will be a boring as f**k 1-0 away win. 

Considering the resources we have, the above is quite frankly fucking shite. Had the Charlie Adam signing not taken place we'd be comfortably bottom half. 

ETA - If he's even considering Sean Mackie again that's a sacking offence in itself. 

Edited by Day of the Lords

9 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

My default position, pretty much from last season is that McPake isn't up to the job. Not even close. Whilst the recent scoring run is impressive (on the face of it) we shouldn't be forgetting that it included. The only genuinely solid performances recently were half the Hearts game, drubbing QoS away and a reasonably decent performance at home to Alloa. You could quite easily argue such results should be expected as a minimum considering our budget and being able to sign Charlie Adam. The 1-1 tonight is irrelevant as far as i'm concerned.  With a full strength squad to choose from McPake actually is capable of putting out a reasonable starting XI, but then so would most of us be. The problems come when he has to make changes, subs, adapt tactics to combat what the opposition are doing etc. He simply isn't capable of doing these things and he's not going to learn how to quickly enough, if at all. My concerns largely mirror last season's, in that we're wasting a more than decent budget and potentially decent set of players (minus a handful of glaring personnel errors) on a manager who is not, and never will be up to the job. 

I've probably not got this entirely correct, but I think this is a fair summary of our performances thus far. 

League. 

• Hearts 6-2 Dees - Absolutely fucking abject, and lucky it was only 6. Massive formation and tactical blunder by McPake basically sold the fucking game by HT
  • Dees 1-0 Morton - Shite performance luckily yielding a win thanks to Morton's total ineffectiveness as an attacking threat
  • Dees 1-1 Raith - Weird sub = concession of late equaliser
  • Alloa 3-3 Dees - Utter shambles at the back, only avoided defeat thanks to Sir Charles
  • Ayr 2-0 Dees - Another surrender, absolutely toothless up front
  • Dees 1-0 Arbroath - boring as f**k, holding on for the last 20-30 mins
  • ICT 2-2 Dees  - Shat it from 1-0 up, lucky to scrape a draw in the end
  • Dees 3-3 Dunfy - 3-0 up with 15 mins left. Absolutely fucking ludicrous, not helped by a nonsense sub at 3-2
  • QOS 1-3 Dees - Finally a solid performance from the team, and Sow
  • Dees 3-1 Alloa - Solid performance again at least in the second half. Fucking nonsense goal to concede though. 
  • Dees 3-1 Hearts - Most satisfying of the season, panicked for much of the second half, late pen to calm things a bit
  • Arbroath 1-1 Dees - Early lead, failed to build on it thanks to missed sitters and predictably allowed Arbroath to come back into it

Other than the QOS, Alloa and Hearts games that is utterly uninspiring. 

Cups

• Covid beat Forfar 3-0
  • Hanging on to a 1-0 at home to 9 man Cove until 2 late, flattering goals
  • Two utterly insipid performances away to Hibs
  • Scraping an ET win at home to a junior side Live on TV

Again, utterly uninspiring. At least we're still in the Scottish but I expect the Saints game will be a boring as f**k 1-0 away win. 

Considering the resources we have, the above is quite frankly fucking shite. Had the Charlie Adam signing not taken place we'd be comfortably bottom half. 

ETA - If he's even considering Sean Mackie again that's a sacking offence in itself. 

Brilliant post and exactly how I see it. McPake is fucking this up with the 2nd best budget in the league again and our club meekly throw these opportunities away. 

9 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Ach it's nice to vent even though it's fucking pointless 😂

Of course, it's a good thing I wasn't posting during the match or else I'd have made myself look like more of a tit than usual. Was ranting at my TV the entire night.

Obviously any manager worth his salt could have achieved at least what McPake has achieved with our budget and Sir Charles at the helm, and most managers likely would have done much better.

We desperately need to win on Tuesday and keep up our decent home form considering how site we are away from it. If McGhee and Fontaine are out for that game and potentially the foreseeable though (particularly Fontaine for the latter) then I'll be really worried.

Put simply, a win on Tuesday and we're back on track. If not, we're back in yet another slump. I pray that Fontaine and McGhee are OK.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

After his recent stints at both Bradford and Morton would anyone take David Hopkin or is his reputation shot as a manager/head coach?

Same with Stephen Robinson about 6 months ago he was away to bigger better things then all of a sudden Motherwell were pure Shan over night is his reputation shot?

im not comparing either names with mcpake im just curious if they’d fit our club or if they will have to build their portfolio again

To be fair to McPake I've seen boys on here saying the Cammy would make a decent DM due to his engine and tackling. Now even they haven't a leg to stand on and will have to admit the boys stunk the place out too long and should go on his way to Peterhead or the likes. 

10 hours ago, Yenitit said:

Sorry Ross but that’s everything that’s wrong with our club. That tonight should never be acceptable. The last 2 results have been embarrassing. Let’s not sugarcoat this. 11 of the last 16 games have been shite maybe even 12 of them considering we only put 3 past 9 man Cove at home. 

Hearts away,

Morton at Dens,

Raith at Dens,

Alloa away,

Hibs away,

Ayr away,

Hibs away,

Arbroath at Dens,

Dunfermline at Dens,

Bonnyrig at Dens 

and now Arbroath away.

We have been shambolic this season and no one can honestly disagree with that.   

We’re joint 2nd in the league so we can’t have been as bad as you’ve made out. Sow and Mullen have to score in the first half and we go in at 3-0 and nobody bats an eyelid. The fact that we didn’t go in 3-0 up isn’t on McPake last night, not much he can do about players missing chances like that.

Edited by RossDee01

18 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

We’re joint 2nd in the league so we can’t have been as bad as you’ve made out. Sow and Mullen have to score in the first half and we go in at 3-0 and nobody bats an eyelid. The fact that we didn’t go in 3-0 up isn’t on McPake last night, not much he can do about players missing chances like that.

Mcpake keeps playing Mullen. He is shite. What is he good af ? Its his doing who he signs. Its his doing what line up he picks. I took pelters from St.mirren fans and dundee fans for calling out he is shite. Nae wonder he got taken off before half time. ( maybe injured ) but he wouldn't be a loss. 

Right across the team it is awful . 

Positive note we didn't get beat.

10 hours ago, Yenitit said:

Sorry Ross but that’s everything that’s wrong with our club. That tonight should never be acceptable. The last 2 results have been embarrassing. Let’s not sugarcoat this. 11 of the last 16 games have been shite maybe even 12 of them considering we only put 3 past 9 man Cove at home. 

Hearts away,

Morton at Dens,

Raith at Dens,

Alloa away,

Hibs away,

Ayr away,

Hibs away,

Arbroath at Dens,

Dunfermline at Dens,

Bonnyrig at Dens 

and now Arbroath away.

We have been shambolic this season and no one can honestly disagree with that.   

I can.  

I don't agree it's been shambolic - uninspiring, even poor at times yes, shambolic no.  We're 2nd and we're not either of the OF for which 2nd in the Championship would be considered shambolic.  I think 2nd was a fair target when the season started and we're on course for that.  If that's shambolic what the f**k would you use to describe some of the seasons we had not that many seasons ago back in this division?

Edited by hk blues

Arbroath turned the midfield in to a battlefield and we never really responded. CA had an odd game, plenty of the ball but did little with it. I think we are all too aware of the impact of CA having a poor game or out. We dont have another ball player close to what he brings.

Having said that we could have been 3 up at half time. Keeper made a good stop against Sow but Mullens miss was just dreadful. 

We all know we started the season poorly but we played decent stuff averaging 3 a game recently. Last night was a real disappointment in that respect. 

To be fair to McPake I've seen boys on here saying the Cammy would make a decent DM due to his engine and tackling. Now even they haven't a leg to stand on and will have to admit the boys stunk the place out too long and should go on his way to Peterhead or the likes. 
Hands up - I thought it might be possible - but only as an alternative to Byrne (who was dogshit at the time) not to play alongside him.

Kerr showed last night that he is a headless chicken in any position.

Mcpake keeps playing Mullen. He is shite. What is he good af ? Its his doing who he signs. Its his doing what line up he picks. I took pelters from St.mirren fans and dundee fans for calling out he is shite. Nae wonder he got taken off before half time. ( maybe injured ) but he wouldn't be a loss. 
Afolabi was equally shite when he came on.

1 hour ago, Robin.Hood said:

What changes would you have made to that starting lineup last night then?

I can.  
I don't agree it's been shambolic - uninspiring, even poor at times yes, shambolic no.  We're 2nd and we're not either of the OF for which 2nd in the Championship would be considered shambolic.  I think 2nd was a fair target when the season started and we're on course for that.  If that's shambolic what the f**k would you use to describe some of the seasons we had not that many seasons ago back in this division?

*3rd

2 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

What changes would you have made to that starting lineup last night then?

Afolabi id have started over Mullen. Everyone knows my stance on him. He is a liability. Against Rose and Arbroath especially was embarrassing to watch him.

Id have Cameron ahead of McGowan. Again think McGowan we carry constantly even though he seems to be one of our better players this season ( for me shows how God awful we have been ).

Ashcroft is brutal. However at least we were already warned about him.

Sad thing is you look at the bench last night and it wasn't the greatest. 

1 hour ago, rainbowrising said:

We all know we started the season poorly but we played decent stuff averaging 3 a game recently. Last night was a real disappointment in that respect. 

We played against a part time recently and an amateur team recently and were a disgrace. Cant excuse that. Best player on park was an Arbroath player and he did look good. That shouldn't be the case unless it was the goalkeeper who we should of been testing a lot more. 

Afolabi id have started over Mullen. Everyone knows my stance on him. He is a liability. Against Rose and Arbroath especially was embarrassing to watch him.
Id have Cameron ahead of McGowan. Again think McGowan we carry constantly even though he seems to be one of our better players this season ( for me shows how God awful we have been ).
Ashcroft is brutal. However at least we were already warned about him.
Sad thing is you look at the bench last night and it wasn't the greatest. 

Do you mean Anderson or Robertson - not Cameron - or would you have Lyall Cameron in?
Afolabi looks not really ready in my book either but probs would give him a start over Mullen who is toiling to get involved. Afolabi should have bags of energy, closing defenders down and forcing them into mistakes. He doesn’t seem to do that, he doesn’t look completely up for the Championship IMO.

20 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Do you mean Anderson or Robertson - not Cameron - or would you have Lyall Cameron in?

Yup correct i meant Anderson. Looks steady enough player. Just look at the team we have and that starting lineup against Arbroath was probably our strongest. Soon as injuries start to happen we crumble mega. Its shite.

However this isn't something we don't expect. That defending leading up to the goal for Arbroath was awful. Complete shambles. But I'm not surprised.