All things Dundee FC

54 minutes ago, CanadianDee said:

You could be right about the finances thing, but that, if true, is an incredibly shortsighted way of running the club. 'Tripping over a pound to save a pence' type of thinking. The family that owns our club is worth north of 300m US$ so if Nelms left JmP hamstrung budget wise in the summer window then you reap what you sow especially in a shortened season.

Of course now after we started the season shambolically we are trying to play catch up on and off the pitch. Flailing around looking for a goalie (found only to be immediately injured) to replace the guy that McPake has been openly trying to replace for a year, a new player on trial, a rumoured signing of two players lined up for January along with a pre-contract offering hopefully to be converted to immediate transfer if possible. Also this includes the absolute laziest signing in history, both literally and figuratively in Sow who dwells in The Ferry. Oh, and we could all see that we wanted to go 352, so then we literally start the season with just 3 CB's, and that immediately blows up in our face through poor play, injury and Covid. Nelms' fault, McPake's fault, who cares? It's our organisation's fault, and that's the bottom line.

Let's say we finally get a proper squad on the pitch by late January - how many points will we have to make up by then, will it be too late? And for those that say it's easy for me to spend Nelms' money... sure it is, but I never asked them to buy DFC, they chose to. These Texans wanted to buy a pro sports team because that's what a lot of rich guys do, if they ever thought this was going to create any real money then they are dummies... in reality they wanted a toy. At their level of wealth it's Dundee FC that fits the bill as opposed to Man City.

They either want to get back into the Premier League or they don't. My point would be that with January signings to come, the signing of Legzdins, and Stanton now they'd have been better off giving McPake a proper budget to start with instead of after we fall well behind other clubs.

Agree with lots of what you said but isn’t the new signings, guys on trials and pre contract deals getting sorted for next a result of the insurance policy coming good?

20 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Agree with lots of what you said but isn’t the new signings, guys on trials and pre contract deals getting sorted for next a result of the insurance policy coming good?

Maybe so, but I guess my point is that Nelms could've funded us up front back in the summer with the money he pulls out of his couch cushions and the cup holder in his car then we perhaps wouldn't have been left looking for out of work Osman Sow types that live minutes away from Dens, and when Celtic scuppered the Hazard deal then we could have immediately gotten on the trail of another keeper instead of giving up.

I'm saying this season now that we are in panic mode and seemingly ready to sign players now and in January is going to cost us the same or even more except now we're already in a big hole that could've been avoided maybe with foresight instead of hindsight thinking.

2 minutes ago, CanadianDee said:

Maybe so, but I guess my point is that Nelms could've funded us up front back in the summer with the money he pulls out of his couch cushions and the cup holder in his car then we perhaps wouldn't have been left looking for out of work Osman Sow types that live minutes away from Dens, and when Celtic scuppered the Hazard deal then we could have immediately gotten on the trail of another keeper instead of giving up.

I'm saying this season now that we are in panic mode and seemingly ready to sign players now and in January is going to cost us the same or even more except now we're already in a big hole that could've been avoided maybe with foresight instead of hindsight thinking.

I’m in agreement with you but I’d say the manager didn’t use his budget properly in the summer and we now find ourselves in a hole which we shouldn’t be in. 

Just now, Yenitit said:

I’m in agreement with you but I’d say the manager didn’t use his budget properly in the summer and we now find ourselves in a hole which we shouldn’t be in. 

Oh believe you me I think the situation that we're in has more than one architect. Without knowing exactly what happens in the boardroom it is impossible to apportion blame with total precision. Some of McPake's moves are hard to fathom regardless of what he was hearing from Nelms/Keyes, and as such he'll be the one taking the fall if he doesn't get us out of this mess sharpish like.

One thing is for certain, this Saturday's game is about as big as it gets for McPake. A win in a challenging venue would most likely see us with a much better looking table, and maybe some to build on, but a loss and we're going to be looking pretty much done like dinner.

No idea why so many Dees think McCann would have kept us up. The origins of that shambles of a season were entirely down to him. Pulled a mini-Claude Anelka by signing a load of utter tripe from foreign lower leagues who immediately proved out of their depth (honourable mention to Karl Madianga), paid money for a Goalkeeper to start in the SPL when in reality he's a League One talent at best, and tried to have a side playing a ridiculous brand of insipid, possession football they simply weren't capable of, in a blood and thunder league. 

That side had no physical presence about them whatsoever. We got totally bullied, and outplayed, by Championship side Dunfermline in our first real competitive match of the season, and it was immediately apparent we were in all sorts of trouble. That just continued right up to the point he was booted. McIntyre was equally as shite in his own way, but it's telling that most of McCann's signings were emptied after less than six months. McIntyre had nothing to work with, so it's no wonder the only players we could bring in were desperation types and no-hopers given McCann blew the budget on complete garbage.

I totally agree that managers with a plan should be given time to implement things, and it's never necessarily a straightforward case of season-on-season progression, but McCann's ideas were totally ridiculous given the league we were in and the standard of player available. We're still paying for his total inability to judge a player, and his pompous "I know better" tactical approach yet.

Ultimately it's on Nelms though. Repeatedly hiring guys who are out of their depth, and sanctioning the signing of utter garbage, proves there's no footballing competence at the executive level of the club.

Edited by Boo Khaki

4 minutes ago, D TOTAL said:

Quite telling though that he’s not had a club since 

I'm not really sure there is. He could quite easily have chucked it due to the way he was treated. He uprooted his family moved them over here done absolutely nothing wrong and was then blown out the door for utter shambles of footballers like Martin Woods. Maybe he just got tired of football and went into "normal" life. 

Edit : I remember reading here and TDB at the time and the amount of posters who ridiculed Kamara and Madianga and championed shite like Woods was astonishing. Two genuinely good technical footballers being out praised by one of the worst midfielders I've ever seen pull on the Dundee strip. Deserve everything we got for that whole 7/8 month period. 

Edited by Mr. Alli

I would have Madianga back if purely based on his on-field play. Thought he was impressive in the middle and would have loved to see him and Kamara as a central pairing. However, the stories about him not learning English and also that he left his club prior to us and just didn't return for training are major red flags. Decent player, though.

27 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Anyway, are we all in agreement that McPake will still be in post despite the inevitable turgid defeat in Inverness without troubling the scorers (or the boy who counts attempts on goal)?

Just to be annoying...

2041890846_Dontmakemetapthesign.thumb.png.25d02e45b3f8af87a02b34279881065a.png

No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride  … and if it occasionally gets a little heavier than what you had in mind,  well …

51 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Anyway, are we all in agreement that McPake will still be in post despite the inevitable turgid defeat in Inverness without troubling the scorers (or the boy who counts attempts on goal)?

Yep, nothing surer unfortunately, rightly, or in my opinion and most others it would appear on P&B wrongly.

As you progress through life, you can change a partner, husband or wife, move house or your job, however your football club is without doubt for life.

My first season as a young lad we were relegated, however that's who we are and even now it's still better than the alternative, please see below.

Regards

1921811712_OIP(20).jpg.f0ec0c0385b043fadbc04ca909dd9b2b.jpg

4 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Madianga was nowhere near 'out his depth'. He was more than comfortable enough in the middle of the park. 

Indeed. The fact that he immediately stood out among that bunch as the only one who was comfortable and capable at this level, and yet he still barely got any time on the pitch, is even more damning of McCann.

Edited by Boo Khaki

51 minutes ago, tbsouth said:

Charlie Adam the manager.

...huh. Where was McPake?

51 minutes ago, tbsouth said:

2 great finishes from Sow

Now I know you're taking the piss. Out of curiosity, who scored the other goal?

Edited by RossBFaeDundee