All things Dundee FC

8 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Not wanting to sign McMullan because he's a DAB is peak DFC tinpottery. He's far better than McDaid and is a monumental pain in the arse as an opposing player, which is generally a good sign for a winger.

With respect to them both, Paul McMullan and Declan McDaid are the level of player we have to raise ourselves above to escape this league and progress. 

This is nowt to do with DABS, as posted earlier I'd have Ryan Dow in dark blue asap. 

Regards 

31 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

The players contracted past this season are Adam, Ashcroft, Mullen, Byrne and Jakubiak up until 2022, and the youth players with new contracts (Anderson, Robertson, etc) up until 2023. McMullan included, I'd say that's a pretty strong backbone for a new team next season for whoever is making it. If the players contracted until the end of this season want to stay here, they'll really need to pick their games up imo... unless McPake just re-signs them all... lol

That’s the one saving grace of this season is there are that many players out of contract and we’re not saddled with them again next season. Wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if Connor Hazard is signed in a precontract in January to add to your list. 

Edited by Yenitit

8 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

That’s the one saving grace of this season is there are that many players out of contract and we’re not saddled with them again next season. Wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if Connor Hazard is signed in a precontract in January to add to that list. 

Had forgot about Hazard but yeah, could see him signing a pre-contract too, though with 3 keepers on the books idk if he'd join us until his contract was up in the summer. I think if we're signing McMullan on a pre though, could see United offloading him in January shortly after.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

27 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Had forgot about Hazard but yeah, could see him signing a pre-contract too, though with 3 keepers on the books idk if he'd join us until his contract was up in the summer. I think if we're signing McMullan on a pre though, could see United offloading him in January shortly after.

McPake’s comments about Celtic basically taking the huff with Hazard by not letting him go out on loan because he’s apparently told them he isn’t signing a new contract at the end of the season has probably got me putting 2&2 together and getting 5t thinking he’s possibly coming here. 

25 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

McMullan is 5 year younger than Dow, scored more goals in fewer games and has considerable more assists.

Stats are all very good and have their place when interpreted correctly imho.

So on that score, Ayr United refused apparently circa £200,000 from us iirc for Lawrence Shankland, their prolific League One/Championship goalscorer.

Let's offer Dundee United a generous £400,000 for their prolific Championship goalscorer, cause let's be honest, he's achieved nowt in the top league.

Yeah, stats are a funny old world of smoke and mirrors, depending on which way you are looking. Sir Charles is our elder statesman, also by a country mile our best player.

Regarding Paul McMullan, I don't recall him being an issue to us until we had Marshall etc in direct opposition and more damning, James McPake in charge. 

Regards

59 minutes ago, This Charming Man said:

Stats are all very good and have their place when interpreted correctly imho.

So on that score, Ayr United refused apparently circa £200,000 from us iirc for Lawrence Shankland, their prolific League One/Championship goalscorer.

Let's offer Dundee United a generous £400,000 for their prolific Championship goalscorer, cause let's be honest, he's achieved nowt in the top league.

Yeah, stats are a funny old world of smoke and mirrors, depending on which way you are looking. Sir Charles is our elder statesman, also by a country mile our best player.

Regarding Paul McMullan, I don't recall him being an issue to us until we had Marshall etc in direct opposition and more damning, James McPake in charge. 

Regards

Apparently Ayr wanted £250k at the time. How things could have been so different for us in the top flight if McCann had signed Shankland instead of Jean Mendy.

1 hour ago, Yenitit said:

That’s the one saving grace of this season is there are that many players out of contract and we’re not saddled with them again next season. Wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if Connor Hazard is signed in a precontract in January to add to your list. 

Would we not be due some development fee for Hazard? And since it's Celtic, I've no doubt the fee would be ridiculous.

Judging McMullan on his raised performances in big games against us and wanting him to sign for us based on that is the exact same as opposition fans seeing McDaid having his once in a blue moon decent performance against their team and thinking he's a player. Every player is capable of having an occasional good game but Utd fans were not complimentary of him over on their threads for the majority of last season from what I remember so it's a no from me to another dab reject thank you very fucking much. 

Edited by Dee Man

My first instinct when it comes to signing Dabs is a big fat no... however he was the boy serving them up on a plate for Shankland to score. Since Mellon came in he has been stapled to the bench and you'll notice (maybe a coincidence, maybe not) that goal machine Longshanks has dried right up.

McMullan is a wee rat b*****d that also draws fouls like nobodies business, and with oor man Charlie that could prove fruitful. He would also provide much needed width which is sorely lacking, and would probably help McDaid as many teams in the Champ last season got dragged out of position, including us, trying to contain McMullan. A player like McMullan would open up space for Jakubiak, Afolabi, and Mullen so with reluctance I'm going to have to sanction this move.

Edited by CanadianDee

On another note our recruiting dept and McPake leave a whole lot to be desired. Raith, Caley, Pars all grabbing the best players around our level and the best players in League 1 that are clearly ready to step up. With our budget we should be the team, if we were on the ball, grabbing the best players around us on pre contracts or once out of contract, it's ludicrous.

As far as Hazard goes, McPake wants to sign him and Hazard wants to come, but Celtic pulls the plug... so what do we do? We just decide that Hazard is apparently the only goalie in the world and since we didn't get him then too bad I guess we're out of luck.  I believe that we're probably going to wind up signing Hazard when it can all be worked out, but it was pure negligence to not fix our goalie situation before lining up againts Hearts for game 1. We only have 3 central defenders for a 3-5-2 system, no problem I'm sure that'll work out. When that blows up in our face almost immediately... McPake searches around and finds a guy just down the road who is twiddling his thumbs in Fontaine. Nothing against Fontaine, but it all seems so lazy.

We need more forwards... McPake looks around as far as The Ferry where Sow hangs his hat at present time and signs him up, lazy lazy lazy. 

Rumours swirling around that we've got a done deal for another defender from down south coming in January and close to another deal for another forward to come in January as well. All sounds great in theory, but why wasn't all of this done months ago in a proactive fashion instead of an 'oh sh*te' we're screwed reactive fashion? Shortened season, and if we're still between 5th and 7th come mid January will there be enough time to get on a hot streak and accomplish anything.

Edited by CanadianDee

On another note our recruiting dept and McPake leave a whole lot to be desired. Raith, Caley, Pars all grabbing the best players around our level and the best players in League 1 that are clearly ready to step up. With our budget we should be the team, if we were on the ball, grabbing the best players around us on pre contracts or once out of contract, it's ludicrous.
As far as Hazard goes, McPake wants to sign him and Hazard wants to come, but Celtic pulls the plug... so what do we do? We just decide that Hazard is apparently the only goalie in the world and since we didn't get him then too bad I guess we're out of luck.  I believe that we're probably going to wind up signing Hazard when it can all be worked out, but it was pure negligence to not fix our goalie situation before lining up againts Hearts for game 1. We only have 3 central defenders for a 3-5-2 system, no problem I'm sure that'll work out. When that blows up in our face almost immediately... McPake searches around and finds a guy just down the road who is twiddling his thumbs in Fontaine. Nothing against Fontaine, but it all seems so lazy.
We need more forwards... McPake looks around as far as The Ferry where Sow hangs his hat at present time and signs him up, lazy lazy lazy. 
Rumours swirling around that we've got a done deal for another defender from down south coming in January and close to another deal for another forward to come in January as well. All sounds great in theory, but why wasn't all of this done months ago in a proactive fashion instead of an 'oh sh*te' we're screwed reactive fashion? Shortened season, and if we're still between 5th and 7th come mid January will there be enough time to get on a hot streak and accomplish anything.

I do agree some of the signings are a bit uninspired, but I wouldn’t be surprised if finances decided a lot of it. Since the start of the season we have had positive news regarding the insurance money while we also now have light at the end of the tunnel with the virus so that’s probably freed some cash up.

We played preseason with a reasonable squad but within weeks it was decimated by injuries. Debatable who’s fault that is if anyone’s but looking at the bench on Saturday made for much better reading. The worst players there were Ferrie, Forster and Sow, rather than the best players being untested teenagers. We will find out for certain what this squad is capable of in the run into the new year as this is about as tough a run of fixtures as we will have all season.

13 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Sam Stanton on trial with us.

😂

Why is McPake so determined to keep Finn Robertson out the side? He's already twice the player Stanton is.

Presumably Stanton is a mate of McPakes though?

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

😂.

Presumably Stanton is a mate of McPakes though?

Possibly from Hibs days. 

Stanton was always a decent enough footballer but too lightweight to impose himself in the tougher games I thought. A lot like Nick Ross in that respect. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Possibly from Hibs days. 

Stanton was always a decent enough footballer but too lightweight to impose himself in the tougher games I thought. A lot like Nick Ross in that respect. 

Hes maybe just using the facilities then?

And aye. He's too soft. Your manager has signed strikers who are built for kick and rush football, yet also seems determined to build a midfield full of playmakers. Its probably going to see a full season worth of midfielders looking for short passes while strikers look to go in behind. Adam obviously the wildcard who can do anything.

Maybe miles out, but its never looked like McPake has any idea how to build a balanced side, because he doesn't have a clear idea of what sort of side he wants you to be.

Whole plan seems to be big CB, playmaking CM, hard working ST, with no thought beyond that.

I'm fully expecting him to just be training with the side as a favour from McPake, as I'm pretty sure he's still at that Phoenix Rising team in the US and wanted some winter training. At the very least though it's finally one 'DAB at Dens' rumour that they're shitting themselves about lol.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Maybe miles out, but its never looked like McPake has any idea how to build a balanced side

That's not just a McPake problem when they take over at Dens to be fair. Aside for one season (Hartley's first) we've stumbled from one shambles of a squad rebuild to another. McCann had a set up and was trying to get it to work - again here, I don't think he was given enough time - but aside from that it's just been an empty everycunt, sign anycunt policy that we watch making us stagger from one fuckup to the next.