All things Dundee FC

6 minutes ago, stu2910 said:

Annoyingly we can’t quite celebrate going through yet. It’s complicated in some groups, but I think the best points available to 2nd place in each (and whether we have more) are:

A - Raith - 7 - Yes
C - St Johnstone or Peterhead - 8 - Yes
D - Ross County, Arbroath or Elgin - 8 - Yes
E - Falkirk or Dunfermline - 9 - GD
F - Ayr or Hamilton - 9 - GD
G - St Mirren or Morton - 9 - GD
H - Livingston, Alloa or Airdrie - 9 - GD

If we can avoid a heavy defeat against Hibs then we should be fine but that’s certainly not guaranteed. Our best bet if that does happen is probably group G as Morton would have to win big at Partick, St Mirren win at Queen’s Park and Morton beat St Mirren on penalties in Paisley.

If we could keep it simple and just get Adam to score a hattrick in a 3-0 win at Easter Road that’d be great...

A - No teams can catch us regardless of our result.
B - Us.
C - Worst case scenario, Peterhead lose on pens, finish with 9 Pts & +3 GD. We'd need to lose at least 5 or 6-0.
D - County likely beat Stirling, winner of Arbroath or Elgin finish on 9 Pts, would need to be 2 or 3-0 games in both their game and ours to go above us.
E - If the Pars beat Clyde, we currently have a +2 GD advantage over Falkirk.
F - No 2nd placed team could catch us.
G - Only way a 2nd placed team gets 9 is if Morton beat St Mirren on pens, then they both win on Saturday. Even then there'd need to be a big GD swing both ways like in Grp. D.
H - Alloa would need a similar big GD swing to pass us, and Airdrie would need 2 big wins.

I would be very, very, very surprised, almost impressed, if we didn't manage to get through to the Second Round from this position, as 4 of the above scenarios (only 1 seems relatively feasible) would need to happen. And all these worries are from us losing, which we might not... we probably will, but we might not.

4 minutes ago, stu2910 said:

It’s the Dundee way!

Say that, my calculations are based on the BBC tables which are notoriously rubbish at reflecting bonus points so I’m not sure they’re accurate.

I think the groups that end up with the runners up on 9 points are

ours and Dunfermline/Falkirk’s already have the runners up on 9 points. 

Then Group F Ayr/Hamilton should both end with 9 points and so should Group H Livingston/Alloa 

Group D requires there to be a winner between the Arbroath/Elgin game and a point for Ross County for the runners up to be on 9 points. 

For us to go out we probably require to lose by 3 and others to win by 3 to create the required 6 goal swing. IT’S DUNDEE, IT COULD DEFINITELY HAPPEN 😂😂

1 hour ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Idk, Charlie was pretty gash tonight imo

Ross, have you been tonking down the neck a particularly powerful swally?
Charlie was the best player on the park! Young Anderson as MOM was great but Charlie opened up the Cove defence  time after time. Alas our lads were too tubey to get the quality he sprayed, until Mullin, with his back to the goal, using super technique culminating in an effortless looking turn to finish from Charlie’s masterful lob as he at last transformed a divine Adams pass.
Yes, his first penalty was gash, but overall he’s absolutely brilliant!  Please let me know what the bevvy is that glazed your judgement today!

Okay, I admit I may have been a bit hyperbolic, just thought he could've had an easy hat-trick tonight.

Looking back on the highlights, McDaid's move to free the ball to pass and Gowser's shot are both great. Adam's cross into the box for the 2nd is perfect, and the control from Mullen is sublime. On the chest, 2 keepy-ups, then squeezes the ball through his marker's legs and the tiny gap between the keeper and the post on the half-volley.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

2 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Nicky Hamilton not getting a touch is the biggest injustice of today imo.

Was wrong on this too, he did get a touch. He lost the ball immediately, but he certainly did get a touch.

The start of a beautiful tenure with this club, I'm sure.

1 hour ago, RossDee01 said:

Has this happened before? I feel like this has happened before.

🤔 not so sure. I definitely wouldn’t be claiming a win if we got the bonus point or celebrating like we’d won the tournament because karma’s a bitch and would probably result in us being easily dispatched in the next round.....

Edited by Yenitit

4 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

🤔 not so sure. I definitely wouldn’t be claiming a win if we got the bonus point or celebrating like we’d won the tournament because karma’s a bitch and would probably result in us being easily dispatched in the next round.....

I'm sure our opponent would manage some stunning goals though

15 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Must admit I expected much much more from Dundee. 2 man advantage and playing against a lower league team. Should really be filling your boots.

That indirect free kick was our chance and Mitch just dragged it wide

Kind of hard when Cove have 9 men behind the ball in siege mentallity

So, we are guaranteed to finish no lower than 2nd in our group, with a minimum of 9 points. Normally, this would be a safe place to be. However, as it's us, I am predicting that we will go into Sunday's game needing only to avoid a 6+ goal defeat to progress, promptly lose 3 early goals and a soft 4th before half time. Get an early second half stunner from Sir Charlie, then lose 3 goals after the 88th minute.

Am I wrong???

6 minutes ago, Spikethedee said:

So, we are guaranteed to finish no lower than 2nd in our group, with a minimum of 9 points. Normally, this would be a safe place to be. However, as it's us, I am predicting that we will go into Sunday's game needing only to avoid a 6+ goal defeat to progress, promptly lose 3 early goals and a soft 4th before half time. Get an early second half stunner from Sir Charlie, then lose 3 goals after the 88th minute.

Am I wrong???

3 hours ago, RossDee01 said:

Has this happened before? I feel like this has happened before.