All things Dundee FC

12 minutes ago, rambling syd rumpo said:

Mulligan has played centre back before, for the reserves. There's a difference between playing centre half, and being one of three centre backs with the freedom to start attacks by carrying the ball forward into midfield. Mulligan looks like he's got the physique to cope at centre back. It will be interesting to see whether he can learn to play that role.

There really isn’t. 1st and foremost a centrehalf must be able to defend. No point in being able to bring a ball out from the back if you can’t track a runner, head the ball, pass players on, communicate and organise others around you and in front of you. A prime example is Scot McTominay. An excellent midfielder, good on the ball playing centrehalf but costing goals in each game. 

Josh was good on the ball and has the physique for the position right enough. 

Edited by Yenitit

2 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

There really isn’t. 1st and foremost a centrehalf must be able to defend. No point in being able to bring a ball out from the back if you can’t track a runner, head the ball, pass players on, communicate and organise others around you and in front of you. A prime example is Scot McTominay. An excellent midfielder, good on the ball playing centrehalf but costing goals in each game. 

Hence what I said about learning. He's 17. I've no problem with him being tried out in that role in friendlies. It wouldn't have happened in a competitive game. McGhee and Forster had just been taken off . The back three was Mulligan, Ashcroft and Kerr. They lost the runners for the equaliser (I think - I've not seen film of it). Ashcroft blew his top. He was furious. That's just about the only good thing about a lack of supporters. You hear what the players are saying.

4 minutes ago, rambling syd rumpo said:

Hence what I said about learning. He's 17. I've no problem with him being tried out in that role in friendlies. It wouldn't have happened in a competitive game. McGhee and Forster had just been taken off . The back three was Mulligan, Ashcroft and Kerr. They lost the runners for the equaliser (I think - I've not seen film of it). Ashcroft blew his top. He was furious. That's just about the only good thing about a lack of supporters. You hear what the players are saying.

4 minutes ago, rambling syd rumpo said:

I’m picking you up on the difference of being a centrehalf and centrehalf that can bring the ball out from the back. There’s no difference. A centrehalf has to be able to defend, end of. 

Heard Ashcroft going off his nut at the goal which is no bad thing. Farcical the goal was allowed to stand tho. 

I thought it was a back 4 at the end with Kerr left back and McDaid right back if I recall correctly. Not sure why McDaid wasn’t up top and Christie right back at that point 😂🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by Yenitit

6 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I think he’d be a great signing for us.  He seemed to love  playing in front of the United fans.  Imagine what he’d be like playing in front of real football fans instead of the sound of knitting needles and the rustling of the Arbroath Herald!

9 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Starting to think we bet on the wrong horse last season...

Fairly obvious. Didnt really get a chance.

Hemmings was always starting regardless of form/ goals. 

Oh a shite stat. How many players have came back to play for a dundee in a second spell? And have they did good in the second spell. 

10 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Starting to think we bet on the wrong horse last season...

3 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Defo a mistake, letting him go. IMO.

2 hours ago, silvery tay said:

A fucking massive mistake even being benched and hardly playing for some weird reason he was still our top scorer when binned 😡...............now scored in 7 straight games

1 hour ago, G_Man1985 said:

Fairly obvious. Didnt really get a chance.

Hemmings was always starting regardless of form/ goals. 

Oh a shite stat. How many players have came back to play for a dundee in a second spell? And have they did good in the second spell. 

Surely we’re not about to give plaudits to a player scoring in a league 2 who last year finished 17th with the 19th placed and 21st placed teams scored against, whilst I’d agree he may not have had the chance he’s hardly a world beater and hemmings is a better player that’s why he was ahead with most of Johnson’s goals from the spot like moussa 

Hemmings is and was better than Johnson. Without the power of hindsight, ie, a global pandemic resulting in us needing to offer reduced contracts happening then Hemmings would likely still be at Dens and still be the superior option to Johnson.

With hindsight kicking in, there's nothing to suggest Johnson wouldn't have left in the same situation even if we had made him our main man.

That, along with alleged attitude problems mean I've no issues with him leaving and hope he does well wherever he goes in future.