All things Dundee FC

35 minutes ago, harry94 said:
3 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:
Exactly is why I'm sticking with meh 
Remember Harry on here was telling us about the under 13s were going to be the next group of lads coming through.
For me always good to go back into the past and see some players we had. 

I'm not sure what you're referring to but a year or two ago, there was a fair bit in the press about the batch of that era being particularly promising in the 13/14 ages with more internationals than previously. What year group that correlated to exactly (and idk if players regularly play above their own age group), I'm not too sure and only as informed as whatever (usually optimistic) things the club put out.

If you could. Can you find a link ? I'm more curious. Only reason I say this was because at the time. The person I have mentioned him before he was a year ahead of this age group you mentioned. Bar Robertson and 6 other players the rest got let go and some of them was due to their age.

I'm always of the hope we bring good players through and some given a fair chance and yes some players do play at a higher level age group wise, is why i believe some got kept because of how old they were as they could drop down to their age original age group. 

Edited by G_Man1985

Decent? You’re hard to please G_Man. 
Only centre half we have had who could do Cruyff turns on his own 6 yard line without giving you a heart attack. Vaguely remember him doing it in a huge game possibly the 2003 Cup final.

Although he had a very decent career I thought he would have gone further particulalry during his early days at Dens. Thought he has phenomenal ability and composure for being so young.

Don’t think there’s been a better left back in my lifetime than Tosh McKinlay. What a ball he could whip in. 

Agreed. A player worth playing to watch. Hardest game I ever saw him have was against Alan Lawrence who was playing for Meadowbank, away in the cup at Meadowbank.
Game was drawn, we played Tosh at left wing in the replay, which forced Lawrence back to cover him, we scraped through IIRC.
We signed Lawrence after that and he was half decent for us too. Him and Tosh used to hang out in Brooks in the Ferry.

4 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Agreed. A player worth playing to watch. Hardest game I ever saw him have was against Alan Lawrence who was playing for Meadowbank, away in the cup at Meadowbank.
Game was drawn, we played Tosh at left wing in the replay, which forced Lawrence back to cover him, we scraped through IIRC.
We signed Lawrence after that and he was half decent for us too. Him and Tosh used to hang out in Brooks in the Ferry.

Alan Lawrence was awesome in those cup games against us. Never come close to those performances for us if I recall correctly 

Beghetto was our best LB of the Bonetti era. Criminally underrated. Marrocco was also lightyears ahead of Hernandez IMO. Dunno why Jonay is the one heralded from that era (Not that he was poor by any stretch - still better than anything since bar maybe peak Lockwood but I'd still say Hernandez was quite a bit better) when we had those 2 in the seasons before. Perhaps his double against the Dabs?

Marcello Marrocco, what an extremely cultured, intelligent canny defender he was. However, unfortunately injury prone soon after arriving at Dens from our point of view. 

Italian football journeyman pro, who to quote Peter Marr in 2000, "if there is a better left back in our division, I've yet to see him". At the time initially anyway, it was hard to disagree.

Born in Switzerland as well, never knew that until I googled his details tonight.

1795843880_OIP(10).jpg.e214b19582872ae69bbd24a6fe6cf99f.jpg

Please announce Sir Charles of Adam soon please, he's simply itching to live the dream and drive us all forward. Make it so, finally.

Regards as always.

nintchdbpict000170695388.thumb.jpg.bcb93e98f4bf5d773a54ff8747159149.jpg

Beghetto was our best LB of the Bonetti era. Criminally underrated. Marrocco was also lightyears ahead of Hernandez IMO. Dunno why Jonay is the one heralded from that era (Not that he was poor by any stretch - still better than anything since bar maybe peak Lockwood but I'd still say Hernandez was quite a bit better) when we had those 2 in the seasons before. Perhaps his double against the Dabs?
Thought Marrocco was class and didn't particulalry rare Hernandez thought he was a bit meh.

Marrocco and Marco DeMarchi were two of the best defenders I've seen in Dundee shirts (when actually [playing), probably since the pre-injury Duffy and George McGeachie days. Marrocco in particular was a thoroughly classy player. I don't think i saw him have a bad game. DeMarchi was a brilliant defender but cursed with dreadful discipline. Every opposition team's plan A must have been to wind him up. He got a particularly infuriating red card which cost us a cup tie against Hearts, having been fouled (hardly a bad one) then casually kicked out at the offending player pretty much in in front of the Linesman.