All things Dundee FC

9 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

I'm not talking about Nelms.

Hartley started getting chased about half way through the second season. McCann never even got a full season before it started. McIntyre should never have got in.. McPake was getting chased before he was appointed. 

There won't be a route consistently for youth to come through until there is consistency in the managers office. There won't ever be consistency in the managers office because the support won't allow it until Dundee sit 4th in the table or above, annually. 

If truth be told McCann should never have been appointed.  Totally insufficient managerial experience to take charge of the club.  No other club in the country was willing to give McCann his big break but Nelms thought he knew better.  

38 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Really?   In the time that Nelms has been here Hartley was given more than enough time.  McCann was also given every opportunity to show even a slight improvement.  Unfortunately he never bothered taking that opportunity.

Anyone on here want to argue that we should have kept McIntyre on for longer?  Anyone at all?

That only leaves McPake......

A decent managerial appointment from Nelms would be the best way to stop fans looking for any managerial replacement.

In hindsight Nelms has been too loyal to his managers. 

oops Mr Alli was on about the fans 🙈

Edited by Yenitit

17 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

There won't ever be consistency in the managers office because the support won't allow it until Dundee sit 4th in the table or above, annually. 

My personal, not too extreme expectations for Dundee FC has always been top league mid to lower-mid table occupancy, the odd decent cup run and stuff the Dab's when the opportunity arises. Anything above this I would view as halcyon days and a glorious bonus.

The responsibility for this rests solely with the decisions made in the boardroom, then the dug-out, then on the field of play itself.

The reality is James McPake, whilst I truly hope as a fan he is successful, was not at the time a suitably qualified and experienced candidate to be appointed manager last Summer.

Merely my opinion.    

My personal, not too extreme expectations for Dundee FC has always been top league mid to lower-mid table occupancy, the odd decent cup run and stuff the Dab's when the opportunity arises. Anything above this I would view as halcyon days and a glorious bonus.
The responsibility for this rests solely with the decisions made in the boardroom, then the dug-out, then on the field of play itself.
The reality is James McPake, whilst I truly hope as a fan he is successful, was not at the time a suitably qualified and experienced candidate to be appointed manager last Summer.
Merely my opinion.    

Totally agree.

Being truthful and realistic, how many actual quality youngsters have we brought through since Kevin MacDonald and Scott Robertson?

The likes of Leighton McIntosh, Craig Wighton etc have, at best flattered to deceive I would suggest. (Even going further back to the likes of O'Driscoll)

It seems really bizarre to me that clubs like the DABS, Livi, Hamilton etc can get promising players sold for really decent cash/sell-on clauses and we end up getting shafted by the Tribute Act for Kamara (not brought through by us, admittedly, but certainly brought to prominence). Let's hope Fin can buck the trend and either be sold for a huge fee (in a few years, obviously), or captain us to Premiership glory.....:thumsup2

31 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Dave Mackay announced as officially doing a job he's been doing for about 8 months. 

Dundee fans :

:lol:

How can anyone think “the board seem to be making it up as the go along” with regards to managerial appointments.  Nelms has clearly stated in the past he has a large database of candidates and that the database is regularly updated.  

Not quite sure what it takes to get on the database though.  That part appears to be quite random.

Edited by Shadow Play

Being truthful and realistic, how many actual quality youngsters have we brought through since Kevin MacDonald and Scott Robertson?

The likes of Leighton McIntosh, Craig Wighton etc have, at best flattered to deceive I would suggest. (Even going further back to the likes of O'Driscoll)

It seems really bizarre to me that clubs like the DABS, Livi, Hamilton etc can get promising players sold for really decent cash/sell-on clauses and we end up getting shafted by the Tribute Act for Kamara (not brought through by us, admittedly, but certainly brought to prominence). Let's hope Fin can buck the trend and either be sold for a huge fee (in a few years, obviously), or captain us to Premiership glory.....:thumsup2
The simple fact is that we've been run very badly for many, many years. It was Angus C®ook when I started going, Ron Dixon, Andrew Drummond, the Marrs, fan groups fighting each other, Callum Melville etc. An embarrassingly awful run of clowns, shysters and incompetents. Nelms would be fine if he would f**k off out of the process of appointment of managers. No idea why McPake was first appointed and why we still have him. If we somehow fluke through the playoffs there is absolutely no danger that he's suitable to lead us in the Prem with two partial seasons behind him, one of which was seriously ordinary.

Back to the youths, every time the shit looks like hitting the fan, investment in youth is first to go. We've trailed the DABs in youth development for decades and are a country mile behind the likes of Livingston and Accies. We are really shite at youth development. Since 1987 I could probably count on one hand the number of our youth players who've really made it in terms of large fees, or being a "star player".

35 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

The simple fact is that we've been run very badly for many, many years. It was Angus C®ook when I started going, Ron Dixon, Andrew Drummond, the Marrs, fan groups fighting each other, Callum Melville etc. An embarrassingly awful run of clowns, shysters and incompetents. Nelms would be fine if he would f**k off out of the process of appointment of managers. No idea why McPake was first appointed and why we still have him. If we somehow fluke through the playoffs there is absolutely no danger that he's suitable to lead us in the Prem with two partial seasons behind him, one of which was seriously ordinary.

Back to the youths, every time the shit looks like hitting the fan, investment in youth is first to go. We've trailed the DABs in youth development for decades and are a country mile behind the likes of Livingston and Accies. We are really shite at youth development. Since 1987 I could probably count on one hand the number of our youth players who've really made it in terms of large fees, or being a "star player".

That was beautiful btw. 

I miss the bonetti era. Was good fun then 

1 hour ago, Day of the Lords said:

Could not ignore the above highlighted comments posted earlier without agreeing 100%.

The first comment is unfortunately the clear and concise reason for all of our recent footballing problems, pre Covid that is.

Regarding the second comment, we could be allowing history to repeat itself yet again. Unless I'm mistaken, young Finlay Robertson is still only currently contracted until next May!

Fair play though, the owners' hearts are in the the right place, although professional guidance is seriously required to assist them.  

Regards

10 minutes ago, This Charming Man said:

Could not ignore the above highlighted comments posted earlier without agreeing 100%.

The first comment is unfortunately the clear and concise reason for all of our recent footballing problems, pre Covid that is.

Regarding the second comment, we could be allowing history to repeat itself yet again. Unless I'm mistaken, young Finlay Robertson is still only currently contracted until next May!

Fair play though, the owners' hearts are in the the right place, although professional guidance is seriously required to assist them.  

Regards

Wouldn't listen to that gobshite, he's not been up to Dens since Tommy Coyne was banging them in.

Thank you.