All things Dundee FC

First time round was Nelms's fault for being so utterly fucking shite at football matters. I don't blame him second time either. His home town club offered him a probably massive wage, a return home and he doesn't have to keep two houses on the go. 

Got to do what is right for his family. I've no issues with this 
He trots out this pish just about every time he moves. Clearly came to us last year as a last resort as he had no better offers and off as soon as he gets the chance.

Wonder what his excuse will be next summer when he moves on again. He has just achieved his own personal 9 in a row so no doubt he will complete the ten next summer.

If a player does what is asked of him then why should he show any 'loyalty' to any club? Clubs certainly don't return the favour.

Not seeing the issue with Hemmings at all. Some pretty odd reactions to him moving.

Calum Morris left us a couple of seasons ago and there was a nice article with him and our chairman about he was homesick and wanted to progress his career back down south and us wishing him well. A few days later he signed for Ross County. 

Burton Albion released their long term and very popular manager at the end of the season as a money saving exercise mutually agreed to save other jobs. I know England are a whole different ball game but I'm not really getting this assumption that he'll have massively increased what was undoubtedly a decent four figure wage already to sign for them. I expect he's probably got a wage rise but I doubt its by the sort of degrees being talked about. Lower division English sides are going to struggle to come out the other side of this pandemic and Burton are one of the smallest in the EFL structure.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Burton Albion released their long term and very popular manager at the end of the season as a money saving exercise mutually agreed to save other jobs. I know England are a whole different ball game but I'm not really getting this assumption that he'll have massively increased what was undoubtedly a decent four figure wage already to sign for them. I expect he's probably got a wage rise but I doubt its by the sort of degrees being talked about. Lower division English sides are going to struggle to come out the other side of this pandemic and Burton are one of the smallest in the EFL structure.

Burton Albion's wage bill was listed as £10m as little as 2 year ago. Obviously the new cap will impact on this significantly, but lower league English clubs tend to heavily outspend Scottish Championship clubs.

31 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Burton Albion's wage bill was listed as £10m as little as 2 year ago. Obviously the new cap will impact on this significantly, but lower league English clubs tend to heavily outspend Scottish Championship clubs.

I know they do. But these are not normal circumstances and Hemmings would have been there or thereabouts your highest paid player. And Dundee will be one of the biggest payers in the Championship, probably THE biggest outside Dundee United / Hearts.  I already said he's probably still got a wage rise, I just doubt that references to trebling his salary etc will be true. He's a striker with a half decent track record, even down South. If it was that easy to get a much higher contract down South before he wouldn't have been back at Dundee in the first place. He hasn't exactly set the heather alight in his latest spell either to have clubs clamouring to get him who weren't before. He's been pretty average from the outside in his latest spell.

41 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I know they do. But these are not normal circumstances and Hemmings would have been there or thereabouts your highest paid player. And Dundee will be one of the biggest payers in the Championship, probably THE biggest outside Dundee United / Hearts.  I already said he's probably still got a wage rise, I just doubt that references to trebling his salary etc will be true. He's a striker with a half decent track record, even down South. If it was that easy to get a much higher contract down South before he wouldn't have been back at Dundee in the first place. He hasn't exactly set the heather alight in his latest spell either to have clubs clamouring to get him who weren't before. He's been pretty average from the outside in his latest spell.

Lot of assumptions in there.

He's a player that guarantees a minimum of 10 goals a season. The last time he scored less than 10 goals was for Barnsley 7 year ago.  He'd have probably been on about £1,500 give or take for us. It's not anywhere near unreasonable to say he's getting £3-4k from Burton.

You're right, these are not normal circumstances - So for a lower league English club to pick up a local player who will likely notch around 15 goals in all competitions on a free is a very safe bet for a club like Burton. (15 goals for Mansfield & Oxford, 14 for Notts County in all competitions in each season he was at each respective club)

It was also very easy for him to get a higher contract down South - As it was confirmed he took a paycut to join us. He had another year at Notts County and they wanted to keep him (But equally weren't hard to deal with either since he was on a large wage and they'd just been relegated).

To then get offered around 15-30% paycut to his Dee wage (As has been the reported cuts) - Then it makes logical sense to suggest he'd easily be trebling his wage down South on that figure.

33 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Lot of assumptions in there.

He's a player that guarantees a minimum of 10 goals a season. The last time he scored less than 10 goals was for Barnsley 7 year ago.  He'd have probably been on about £1,500 give or take for us. It's not anywhere near unreasonable to say he's getting £3-4k from Burton.

You're right, these are not normal circumstances - So for a lower league English club to pick up a local player who will likely notch around 15 goals in all competitions on a free is a very safe bet for a club like Burton. (15 goals for Mansfield & Oxford, 14 for Notts County in all competitions in each season he was at each respective club)

It was also very easy for him to get a higher contract down South - As it was confirmed he took a paycut to join us. He had another year at Notts County and they wanted to keep him (But equally weren't hard to deal with either since he was on a large wage and they'd just been relegated).

To then get offered around 15-30% paycut to his Dee wage (As has been the reported cuts) - Then it makes logical sense to suggest he'd easily be trebling his wage down South on that figure.

Yeah, when I referred to doubting he'd be trebling it I was referring to his original Dundee salary, not the newly proposed one whatever that may have been. Nor did I know to what degree the reported cuts were.

Take the point on the rest but I'm pretty sceptical that he returned to Dundee in the first place if he could have got 2 or 3 times the same money down South. He possibly accepted a pay cut to play every week at a place he did well at before but there's a difference between a bit of a pay cut and 2 or 3 times the wage! I also don't think his stock will be particularly any better now than it was when he arrived at Dundee. He's not been a resounding success this time around. He's done ok. He's a decent enough striker who will as you say get a team 10 - 20 goals a season if he's playing every week but in a League where Lawrence Shankland and Kevin Nisbet were scoring at will and Dobbie got 43 the year before, he's not particularly stood out despite playing for a top end side.

And again Burton will be about the lowest payers at their level regardless of what they were paying 2 years ago., when they were in the Championship. Their accounts to May 2019 show their entire turnover to be about £6m. Payroll costs were about £5m and there's little doubt their costs will have been reduced a lot further from another year in League One since never mind the pandemic effects.

46 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:
1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
Those criticising him for moving to get a better wage are just hypocrital shitebags.

The boy does it every year. He is a mercenary nothing more nothing less

The above highlighted comments regarding Kane Hemmings, although polar opposites, both hold water imho. 

However I can't help but think he'd have left a far more positive impression in his second season with us if he wasn't deployed upfront on his Jack Jones for 90%+ of the season.

Hopefully lessons have been learnt for this season coming.

Regards

Oh dear.

Moving to a new job for a better salary and conditions is a no brainer. People do this every day. That is the system we live in.

Football has to be the only profession in the world where an employee gets slated for taking an opportunity to better themselves and their circumstances. Yes we want loyalty, but in reality how many of us would turn our nose up at a bigger salary and in the area you actually want to live in?

Good luck to him, hopefully the new boy takes his opportunity and we can all move on.

Thank you.