All things Dundee FC

Someone on Kickback saying that Uche & Wighton's contracts are to be terminated. I'd have Uche bullying defenders in the air whilst Jakubiak/Mullen harass them on the ground tbh. And whilst I'm not Wighton's biggest fan, I'd welcome him back with open arms before Murray.

Would Wighton be good at this level? What position does he even play?

Kerr wanted him before he was apparently priced out of a loan and he went to Arbroath.

26 minutes ago, Crawford said:

With Sparky being surplus to Neil "anti-irish sentiment" Lennon's plans at the shamrock shack, is he a real possibility for loan? Or is that an absolute non starter?

Non-starter. Griffiths will still be a useful rotation striker and impact sub, the only way he leaves is if he has a falling out with the club which I can't see happening.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

Kerr wanted him before he was apparently priced out of a loan and he went to Arbroath.

He scored 3 goals in 5 games for Arbroath this season, they were big fans of him in his brief spell there.

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Someone on Kickback saying that Uche & Wighton's contracts are to be terminated. I'd have Uche bullying defenders in the air whilst Jakubiak/Mullen harass them on the ground tbh. And whilst I'm not Wighton's biggest fan, I'd welcome him back with open arms before Murray.

C'mon now Ludo, you should know better than that, to take in anything the moon howlers say on JKB.

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He's always been good with the ball at his feet and can produce bits of Gary Harkins-esque magic with the ball, but in his 82 appearances for us he showed that about 4-5 times and not even for full games largely over 5-10 minute spells. I truly believed he was the latest in a long line of over hyped Dundee youth products. To be fair, his appearances started when he was 16 and he had a major injury interrupt any progress.

Dundee were desperate to get him back in Jan and by all accounts, he wanted back as well after some people leaked WhatsApp messages. Hearts started playing funny buggers though and demanded a higher percentage from us 'Because you're Dundee and you can pay more'.

He then went to Arbroath and probably had the best 2-3 months of his career under Dick Campbell.

I've no idea if he'd be any good for us. I still have major, major doubts over his ability to make it in the game - But he'd be much better than the likes of Simon Murray IMO.

ETA: To actually answer your question, he's a striker but I've always felt he'd be better just in behind them - That's no longer what we need though.

Edited by Ludo*1

He's always been good with the ball at his feet and can produce bits of Gary Harkins-esque magic with the ball, but in his 82 appearances for us he showed that about 4-5 times and not even for full games largely over 5-10 minute spells. I truly believed he was the latest in a long line of over hyped Dundee youth products. To be fair, his appearances started when he was 16 and he had a major injury interrupt any progress.
Dundee were desperate to get him back in Jan and by all accounts, he wanted back as well after some people leaked WhatsApp messages. Hearts started playing funny buggers though and demanded a higher percentage from us 'Because you're Dundee and you can pay more'.
He then went to Arbroath and probably had the best 2-3 months of his career under Dick Campbell.
I've no idea if he'd be any good for us. I still have major, major doubts over his ability to make it in the game - But he'd be much better than the likes of Simon Murray IMO.

I know that GGH is loved in these parts but telling an Ayr fan that a player is like him will instantly make him shite in our eyes.

I get what you’re saying though.

20 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

We'll get Murray, undoubtedly. :(

10 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'd welcome him back with open arms before Murray.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

But he'd be much better than the likes of Simon Murray IMO.

I'm sensing a theme here...

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I know that GGH is loved in these parts but telling an Ayr fan that a player is like him will instantly make him shite in our eyes.

I get what you’re saying though.

Wighton can make magic with his feet, but clearly needs the right setup. Knowing McPake's admiration with the lad, if his contract is terminated, Jazza would need to study how Wighton saw success in his brief spell at Gayfield.

Given his small sample size from last season, I think Wighton would do just fine at this level. Just sayin'.

I think the reason wighton did so well with us was because he was being told to go and express himself. There was virtually no pressure on him when he came in, and it showed when he played. Was skipping past players for fun and looked like he was really enjoying his football after a tough time at hearts. Unfortunately, even though we are well backed from the boards and sponsors just now he’s probably out of our price range (although if what I’m told he was on at hearts is true, he’ll be taking a big wage cut regardless).

29 minutes ago, Crawford said:

Loves sentences that require an apostrophe?

I'd have both. If I had to take one based on what we currently have, I'd take Murray.

Agreed.

I just don't see where Wighton would fit in this side considering the two forwards we've just signed, whereas I could see either of them being successful playing off Murray as the main central forward. 

Presuming Murray is still as mobile following his injury of course. I don't think he has enough footballing ability to get by if he's become a bit of a statue.

Genuinely scary folk would accept Simon Murray as our main centre forward for the upcoming season.

I'd like to know what he will apparently bring to the side? 

United fans wouldn't have him back. Hibernian fans wouldn't have him back. He is nowhere near good enough unless you're just wanting to howk it back to front aimlessly and watch somebody chase folk down Hoping THEY make a mistake. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Genuinely scary folk would accept Simon Murray as our main centre forward for the upcoming season.

United fans wouldn't have him back. Hibernian fans wouldn't have him back. He is nowhere near good enough unless you're just wanting to howk it back to front aimlessly and watch somebody chase folk down Hoping THEY make a mistake. 

He scored 10 for United when he was last at this level and was an absolute nightmare to play against, his physicality and pace were a constant pain. I get that he looked like a diddy in the prem apparently, but having seen him, Jak and Mullen at this level I'd take Murray by a long way. 

Providing he's recovered. 

Last season we had a centre forward who had previously scored 20+ in the division above, yet we struggled for goals for much of the season and couldn't play in a  way that exploited that particular player's qualities. Being a successful side isn't about the individual quality of one particular player.

If Dundee genuinely believe they should be pushing for promotion, then it follows that they should be looking to be on the front foot in most matches, doing more attacking than the opponent, and playing the game mainly in the oppositions half. We couldn't do that at all for most of last season despite having a striker that's individually a better player than Murray, but provided the other flaws in last season's approach are rectified, I still think Murray is more than capable of being a useful centre forward for a team with promotion chasing aspirations. He's a physical nuisance to play against, which should in theory help the team hold the ball further up the pitch and compress the play, and although it's clear he's not a prolific goal scorer, he really shouldn't have to be if the rest of the side also carries their weight.

Pound for pound I think Hemmings is still a far superior player than Murray overall, but strangely enough I think Murray would have been more effective than Hemmings was last season given the exact same role and with the team playing the same way, and I also think he can be a very effective player at Championship level if, and its a big 'if', McPake can actually figure out how to have the side playing more effectively this season. We need to start playing with a lot more urgency for starters. We supposedly had a few players who were of a quality above what you'd expect in this division, so it seems totally counterproductive to play a slow, patient style, when better players can supposedly cope with playing the game at a higher pace than technically poorer counterparts. We made life far too easy for most opponents last season, and I would hope that a player with the energy and workrate of Murray would naturally lead to us playing a bit more of a direct and aggressive style.

Edited by Boo Khaki

6 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

We'd all like to have a better striker than Murray, but i fear replacing Kano with a player of similar quality will be nigh-on impossible without paying stupid money. Murray is nothing more than a realistic option we could sign who could potentially do a job at this level. DABs and Hibees won't want him back because he's not good enough for the Prem, but unless he's crocked he should be able to do a job at this level.

As much as a I like Wighton as a player, his scoring record is awful.  Murray might be a former DAB with a dreadful ginger haircut, but unless he's slowed down massively has a bit of pace, used to constantly harry defenders and was generally a pain in the arse for the opposition to deal with. If forced to choose between the two, Murray is absolutely the better option. Having said that i don't see why we couldn't sign both. Wighton isn't exactly going to have clubs battering down the door so should be affordable for us.