All things Dundee FC

8 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

We are the last club that can joke about managerial appointments.  Using cardboard cut outs seems almost as logical as the process Nelms uses*

* we wanted a young manager - we wanted an experienced manager (it’s better than a young manager) - we wanted a young manager (it’s better than an experienced manager).

It's become abundantly clear since Hartley was fired that the Dundee FC Managerial recruitment process only requires fulfilment of two criterion -

1. Are they unemployed and/or reasonably cheap to hire?

and 

2. Are they fucking stupid enough to take the job in the first place?

I defy anybody to suggest that McCann, McIntyre, and McPake were hired on either record, experience, or standing in the game.

Edited by Boo Khaki

44 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Before anyone suggests it, no, Scott Fox wouldn't be a good signing. 

I'd rather Letheren!

There's really a lack of decent keepers available in Scotland just now.  It's a case of which shite will we sign?

Edited by Ludo*1

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

I'd rather Letheren!

There's really a lack of decent keepers available in Scotland just now.  It's a case of which shite will we sign?

I could see Hazard coming back, Celtic may let him go on similar terms as Rangers have done with a couple of youngsters recently with a sell on + first option clause. He's not really been close enough to first team football there for his age and time he's been there so you'd think they'd be thinking about his future.

He's had two or three moments where he's made mistakes but I think his sort of issues are fixable rather than that worrying aspect of being a bag of nerves (which is hard to train for) or having a horrific weakness taking high balls. I'm maybe been watching a different 'keeper but I was a bit surprised at some of the stick he was getting when he re-joined, the defence has consistently been much calmer around him than Hamilton.

It's looking like there will be a ton of free agents though with plenty down south and further afield as well so I think we could do OK in this position if we do have finance behind us to recruit.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

There's really a lack of decent keepers available in Scotland just now.  

Only one current available candidate has me sit up and take notice.

Offered a 12 month deal with Celtic on reduced rates, however wants first team football and has already spoken to St Mirren.

Regards

1893264675_download(1).jpg.0e3966c4495182397a4bcdd7914fd9c9.jpg

38 minutes ago, harry94 said:

I could see Hazard coming back, Celtic may let him go on similar terms as Rangers have done with a couple of youngsters recently with a sell on + first option clause. He's not really been close enough to first team football there for his age and time he's been there so you'd think they'd be thinking about his future.

He's had two or three moments where he's made mistakes but I think his sort of issues are fixable rather than that worrying aspect of being a bag of nerves (which is hard to train for) or having a horrific weakness taking high balls. I'm maybe been watching a different 'keeper but I was a bit surprised at some of the stick he was getting when he re-joined, the defence has consistently been much calmer around him than Hamilton.

It's looking like there will be a ton of free agents though with plenty down south and further afield as well so I think we could do OK in this position if we do have finance behind us to recruit.

The clean sheet record he had is inarguable. He obviously provided something to the team that Hamilton didn't even pre-Berra, whether that was just better communication or even allowing the defence to be slightly more confident, I don't know.  He's a bog standard Championship keeper for me though and whilst I'd have him back, I feel he'd be in the lesser quintile if you were to break our squad down.

Every goal we conceded under him, I was always left thinking it was at least partly his fault if not a complete an utter howler. An upgrade on Hamilton for sure, but there's not many out there that wouldn't have been.

5 minutes ago, This Charming Man said:

Only one current available candidate has me sit up and take notice.

Offered a 12 month deal with Celtic on reduced rates, however wants first team football and has already spoken to St Mirren.

Regards

1893264675_download(1).jpg.0e3966c4495182397a4bcdd7914fd9c9.jpg

Totally on board with this. I suspect we're well down the queue to sign him though. The likes of Hearts & St Mirren will be higher up the pecking order and it wouldn't surprise me to see a few other top flight sides join the race with a few options from abroad and down South.

Yes, I think the sort of flaws Hazard displayed are fixable, and he has plenty of time and scope to improve as a keeper. His fundamentals are reasonably sound, whereas Hamilton can't even get the basics right without screwing up and gifting a goal every time he plays.

Said when we bought him that I didn't think any keeper of his age still making the same types of basic errors would ever be able to get them out of his game, no matter how much we coached and played him, and I'm still convinced of that a couple of years on. I'll take a keeper who makes the easy saves he's expected to make, doesn't throw one in his net every other match, doesn't let tame shots straight at him though his body and hands, and who doesn't cause sheer panic by either being rooted to his line or coming haring out and completely missing every high ball, over a guy who makes 'Sunday Post' saves every match but also does all the stupid/half-witted/talentless nonsense I just listed.

Very rare even a good keeper wins you points, but shit ones cost you points more or less every week. Stable and steady is all that's needed to be a decent keeper, and that's the polar opposite of Flapjack. I think Berra had an obvious and marked role in the improvement in our defensive record, but I think the entire team also benefited from not playing in front of a total liability between the sticks.

Edited by Boo Khaki

I'm sure the money could be spent better than a message on the sleeves of a football team whilst the NHS staff get shafted annually by the Tories. Clapping like seals on doorsteps whilst the government plan their next cuts -whilst forgetting many cases were probably linked to Boris himself arrogantly shaking hands with covid patients with glee. The NHS isnt a charity but if you want to plough money in on the bandwagon and make yourself feel as if you're doing some good then do it. Not for me. This countries fucked.

Still wont be renewing after Nelms U'turn. Scandal at the time and I wont forget. Away games only for me now until Nelms is out. No surprise nothing came of reconstruction -didnt quite work out as Nelms thought (shocker).

Thank you.

Danny Rogers has left Aberdeen.

I liked him the limited amount of times I watched him whilst at Falkirk but with Ramsbottom at times keeping him out the Morton teams, maybe another one best avoided?

17 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Danny Rogers has left Aberdeen.

I liked him the limited amount of times I watched him whilst at Falkirk but with Ramsbottom at times keeping him out the Morton teams, maybe another one best avoided?

Ooft, that's mental. Always thought Rogers was ridiculously overhyped when he had a few good games on loan at Falkirk but he's reasonably experienced at this level now and not far off his prime years. Probably needs a two year deal somewhere, not really got a chance to settle.

I wouldn't mind Nicky Cadden from Morton, reasonable goal and assist record for a winger this term with 5 goals and 9 assists in 21 starts (missed around a month injured). He seems to be really well liked there and come on a fair bit. We've relied way too much on McDaid in games this season, pre the defensive changes near the end, there were too many games where he was just our only flair player.