All things Dundee FC

In terms of strikers, I'd like if we could bring in that Alex Jakubiak. Looks a right handful. Was he not Nelson's foil for Falkirk when they were both highly rated? He'd also free up Hemmings and allow him to be a poacher rather than a hold up man.

Nice little article on the guardian website today:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/may/24/my-favourite-game-dundee-shock-rangers-in-seven-goal-thriller

I never got to go to this, as I was at a family wedding in Manchester. I did get my first taste of McEwan’s Export and see The Blues Brothers for the first time that weekend, so it wasn’t a total loss...😆😆😆 

32 minutes ago, Spikethedee said:

Nice little article on the guardian website today:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/may/24/my-favourite-game-dundee-shock-rangers-in-seven-goal-thriller

I never got to go to this, as I was at a family wedding in Manchester. I did get my first taste of McEwan’s Export and see The Blues Brothers for the first time that weekend, so it wasn’t a total loss...😆😆😆 

I remember that game well.  Great atmosphere.

My favourite line from the article? - almost 30 years on the South Enclosure remains pretty much untouched. And that’s just fine.

2 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

My favourite line from the article? - almost 30 years on the South Enclosure remains pretty much untouched. And that’s just fine.

Mine is.................  encouraged from the sidelines by Stainrod, who caught everyone’s attention by wearing a full-length raincoat and fedora.

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again

16 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Mine is.................  encouraged from the sidelines by Stainrod, who caught everyone’s attention by wearing a full-length raincoat and fedora.

Indeed, Mr Stainrod was well known for his sartorial one-upmanship.

Talking of which, did Dele use his contacts at the club to establish if Nelms wears a Tag Heuer Aquaracer or a Breitling?

2 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

Indeed, Mr Stainrod was well known for his sartorial one-upmanship.

Talking of which, did Dele use his contacts at the club to establish if Nelms wears a Tag Heuer Aquaracer or a Breitling?

With the amount of cash Nelms has, he should be rocking a Patek or an Audemars Piguet. IMO. 

Thank you.

eta. Well remembered Shadow, forgot all about the Nelms watch discussion.

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again

Agree with him 100%.

The lack of any sort of criterion when dishing out licences is what's fundamentally at the root of our decades long ineptitude as a reason. Our legislation is comically amateurish, which ultimately,  is a large part of why we produce comically average footballers and a comically average national team.

If you half-ass everything and let everyone suit themselves, it just leads to short-termism, perpetual fire-fighting, and a never ending mire of mediocrity.

Our league structure completely inhibits growth and development, and the fact our 'professional' clubs struggle to retain players for more than one-two years at a time, spend a ridiculous proportion of turnover on salary, run at a perpetual loss (most of them), and still produce next to nothing in the way of genuine talent is the ultimate indictment of our methodology, which, for some reason, traditionalists love to kid on that there's precious little wrong with.

The fact we have a country that is as daft about football as we are, that our clubs' matches are as well attended as they are considering our small population, and yet we still can't get anywhere near a Finals tournament is a disgrace. Albania, Wales, Latvia, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Denmark regularly, Finland, Norway, Iceland, have all managed to get through UEFA qualifying since we last managed it, and countries such as Costa Rica and Uruguay, with smaller populations than ours and genuinely no money in their domestic leagues, (another palpably ridiculous oft-made claim about the Scottish game), can progress to the latter stages of the World Cup, tells you everything. We are the outlier, our total and long-standing lack of success is the evidence. We are the ones who are 'doing it wrong', yet so many in Scotland still won't admit it.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Agree with him 100%.
The lack of any sort of criterion when dishing out licences is what's fundamentally at the root of our decades long ineptitude as a reason. Our legislation is comically amateurish, which ultimately,  is a large part of why we produce comically average footballers and a comically average national team.
If you half-ass everything and let everyone suit themselves, it just leads to short-termism, perpetual fire-fighting, and a never ending mire of mediocrity.
Our league structure completely inhibits growth and development, and the fact our 'professional' clubs struggle to retain players for more than one-two years at a time, spend a ridiculous proportion of turnover on salary, run at a perpetual loss (most of them), and still produce next to nothing in the way of genuine talent is the ultimate indictment of our methodology, which, for some reason, traditionalists love to kid on that there's precious little wrong with.
The fact we have a country that is as daft about football as we are, that our clubs' matches are as well attended as they are considering our small population, and yet we still can't get anywhere near a Finals tournament is a disgrace. Albania, Wales, Latvia, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Denmark regularly, Finland, Norway, Iceland, have all managed to get through UEFA qualifying since we last managed it, and countries such as Costa Rica and Uruguay, with smaller populations than ours and genuinely no money in their domestic leagues, (another palpably ridiculous oft-made claim about the Scottish game), can progress to the latter stages of the World Cup, tells you everything. We are the outlier, our total and long-standing lack of success is the evidence. We are the ones who are 'doing it wrong', yet so many in Scotland still won't admit it.

I would suggest the issue in scotland is not the fact we have smaller clubs who “dont produce players”. These clubs are sometimes at the heart of the community and for him to say they dont deserve to be in the league because of this is a bit silly.

Always find it bizarre people claim its the domestic game that's killing the International side, then use Costa Rica as an example we should be following.

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Agree with him 100%.

Bollocks.

With the exception of the early Berti years, Scotland have produced more than enough good players, its failure of the last decade at least is down to poor management and the defeatest attitude that youve just displayed which hinders us.

Do you honestly think Scottish football should have only 22 teams?! Given how well Arbroath and Alloa have performed recently, you can hardly call them half arsed. What about Inverness and Ross County's rise over the past 20 years, are teams like them not worthy of the chance to progress? See Bonnyrigg, Kelty, Brora, Edinburgh City, and Cove Rangers as teams showing genuine ambition in the lower levels of the pyramid. 

Blaming part time teams for the perceived lack of quality in Scotland is totally passing the buck away from the full time team's piss poor youth development strategies. The duty for youth development lies with full time clubs, the part time clubs are there for the players who just dont quite make it or want to do something else as well. Its a good system if done with the right enthusiasm.

Rather than doing his usual Strachan routine of blaming everyone but himself, maybe the technical director of one of Scotland's biggest clubs should be asking what they can do more, rather than punching down and blaming the likes of Albion Rovers for all of Scottish football's woes.

"Defeatist Attitude" :D

Our players are simply not good enough. It really isn't any more complicated than that.

Hilarious and quite telling that you've somehow interpreted that as a dig at part-time clubs. Our league is 42 clubs, all of them could do miles better. To be honest, the worst culprits are the biggest clubs. How many youth products are mainstays in the first 11's of Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen? A handful, at best. Therein lies the problem.

Without meaning to be churlish, the success of Arbroath and Alloa says as much about the piss-poor quality and lack of depth in our league as it does anything about those two clubs. There's no way they should be competing with full-time professional clubs given the resources available, but they do, which speaks volumes about what the full-time clubs do with those resources, i.e. precious little.

Edited by Boo Khaki

30 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Always find it bizarre people claim its the domestic game that's killing the International side, then use Costa Rica as an example we should be following.

You've totally misinterpreted that.

The Costa Rica example is to emphasise that it's possible to have relative success on an international stage, competing against nations with vastly superior resources, when you yourself have next to no domestic game of any substance.

We do have a domestic game, we do have resources by comparison, so what the hell is our problem? 

Just now, Boo Khaki said:

You've totally misinterpreted that.

The Costa Rica example is to emphasise that it's possible to have relative success on an international stage, competing against nations with vastly superior resources, when you yourself have next to no domestic game of any substance.

We do have a domestic game, we do have resources by comparison, so what the hell is our problem? 

f**k knows, but I'm fairly confident having Arbroath in the league system isnt why Scotland have been a rabble of failures for the past 22 years.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

f**k knows, but I'm fairly confident having Arbroath in the league system isnt why Scotland have been a rabble of failures for the past 22 years.

And yet if you look at other relatively small European countries who have outperformed us at International level, they don't have hilariously bloated league structures full of semi-pro sides who are content to piddle along in ramshackle stadia, with next to no infrastructure, next to no youth production, etc

Swiss league, two divisions of 10. Austrian league is similar.

I have no problem with smaller sides who are content to live within their means. I'm not in favour of any sort of suggestion that they should be kicked out of the football league or such, but I do think there's plenty of scope for the clubs who do have some resources to be held to some sort of stricture that means they require some basic, bare minimums before they are granted a licence. Our clubs don't even have to provide accounts to prove they are solvent for crying out loud. Our authorities dish out licences to total basket cases who, year on year, sign a load of journeymen pros on 6-12 month contracts, rinse and repeat. These clubs might well entertain their own fanbase, but they contribute next to bugger all to the wellbeing of the game as a whole. 

Just now, Boo Khaki said:

And yet if you look at other relatively small European countries who have outperformed us at International level, they don't have hilariously bloated league structures full of semi-pro sides who are content to piddle along in ramshackle stadia, with next to no infrastructure, next to no youth production, etc

Swiss league, two divisions of 10. Austrian league is similar.

In Austria's last squad only 6 were from their national league, only 5 had caps, and their cap total stood at 11.

The vast, vast majority play in Germany. 

Their captain started his career in German football.

Switzerland even worse, with just 5 domestic players and 9 caps.

The domestic league seems to have almost no impact on those national sides, so I'm not sure why you're using their league structures as examples.

Theres zero link between league structure and National league success, and I've no idea why you've decided to back Strachan on this. His last idea was a closed shop division of full time sides with no relegation. On matters like this, hes an idiot.

So why then, is the excuse always 'Oh x country has success because their players play in foreign leagues" ? We have plenty of players playing in England, they usually make up the bulk of our squads, yet the national team is still perpetually futile. 

As for you claiming Strachan is an idiot; that's the perfect example of the ridiculous attitudes in Scots I mentioned earlier, i.e. 'We're shite, but everyone else is wrong'.

7 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

So why then, is the excuse always 'Oh x country has success because their players play in foreign leagues" ? We have plenty of players playing in England, they usually make up the bulk of our squads, yet the national team is still perpetually futile. 

As for you claiming Strachan is an idiot; that's the perfect example of the ridiculous attitudes in Scots I mentioned earlier, i.e. 'We're shite, but everyone else is wrong'.

What?

You're the one claiming the domestic game in Scotland is holding the National team back, then using Austria, who's domestic game has zero impact on their National team, as an example.

Maybe our issues compared to Austria are because our players end up in England, and they're worse at developing players than Germany?

Its utterly ridiculous to claim part time clubs are the issue and should be punted out the league.