All things Dundee FC

1 hour ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Checking out this site http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Dundee/Dundee.htm it seems the red was introduced in 1952 with the socks, so the red is probably acceptable. I like the 1971-72 kit, absolute class.

1902 kit seemed to have red in it as well!

Was this officially used on anything? Distinctly remember it when I was wee but never seems to have adorned a strip?

da3082cc407867d4d62dcca1e80b9431--dundee

Why are you a Dee?

I had no real interest in going to football as a kid. My old man started taking me with him to Dens and Tannadice alternate weeks off and on in 1987. I  remember being in the Arklay Street terracing for a derby that finished 1-1. Iain Ferguson missed a penalty, Stuart Rafferty scored one, Tommy Coyne missed an open goal from 2 yards out and Bobby Glennie scored a fucking ludicrous own goal. I became a full-time fan after a 3-1 win at Dens against Falkirk. Tommy Coyne scored two. I thought (correctly) that he was as cool as f**k. My old man was a Dee btw. 

First game?

My dad took me to Dundee's 5-1 hammering of Celtic in 1980 but only because mum was away and there was no c**t to babysit. I wasn't interested in football and don't really remember anything about it. The first game i properly remember is the above 1-1 derby in 1987.

Where do you sit?

The Derry. I haven't been to a game in fucking years tbh however it was always the Derry. I've sat once in the old Provie Road end and in the main stand twice, just didn't feel right. 

Longest you've travelled to watch the Dee?

Kilmarnock I think. 

Ever missed work/event to watch the Dee?

I skived work at Letham Grange to go to the First Division title game at Starks Park in 1998. Got an absolute cunting the following day. 

Favourite ever player?

Tommy Coyne. He looked ungainly as f**k but if the ball went anywhere near him in the box, he'd invariably score. I was gutted when he was punted to Celtic. 

Most enjoyable game?

The B&Q Centenary Cup Final against Ayr in 1990 at Fir Park. Dundee won 3-2 with a Billy Dodds hat-trick in a great game with a great atmosphere. It was only for a shite decanted but still a final. Ayr had Henry Templeton who was a superb player and we had a decent squad. I always remember this one most because  winger Colin West who was generally shite absolutely tore Ayr's left back a new arsehole for almost the entire time he was on the pitch. 

Others include the 4-4 Coca Cola Cup tie against Hearts at Dens, which featured a Weighorst spectacular 25 yarder, a comical backpass blunder from Henry Smith, goals in the last minutes of both normal and extra time, Henry Smith taking, and missing a penalty and ex-Dee Willie Jamieson hitting the post with his kick before Weighorst won it, followed by a pitchie. Glorious. 

Honourable mentions also to the 4-4 draw at McDiarmid Park and 3-1 win at Tannadice in November 1987. 

Best goal seen live?

Morten Weighorst's debut goal in that 4-4 at McDiarmid Park. He took a short corner then skinned the entire Saintees defence before belting a 20 yarder past their keeper. None of us knew much about him at the time. 

Favourite away stadium?

Tannadice before it was redeveloped. The "cliff" was a fantastic piece of terracing. A Dundee goal when spectating there generally resulted in absolute scenes. Glorious. 

Worst away Stadium?

Pittodrie. It's cold, shite and we invariably got humped there. 

Worst player?

Kelvin Jack. An absolute fucking liability without exception. 

Why are you a Dee?

Strategic moves from my dad essentially growing up, and eventually my own fascination ever since. Spent a large amount of time between 2013 to 2018 largely caring more about American sports while still coming to games, but have really gotten absorbed in the last couple of years... god knows why, we've been dugshite ever since.

First game?

I'd been taken to a few games as a wean which I obviously don't remember. The first one I remember was a home game against Motherwell in the 2004/05 season, where we won 2-1 via a Steve Lovell brace. This was followed by my first away game, a 5-1 thrashing loss to Dunfermline.

Where do you sit?

The Cox. Sat in the far corner of the Main Stand for years, before changing to the Cox about 3 years ago. Much better in my opinion.

Went up to Dingwall to watch Simon Murray keep the Dee safe and essentially relegate Ross County in 2018. Great day.

No, but I remember a couple of years ago arriving at my work on a Saturday, before being told there'd been a mix-up in the schedule and that I wasn't actually working that day. This was at about 2.15, and I ran my arse off to arrive at the game just as my dad was getting there. He was properly bewildered as to why I was there. That was actually the day that Ayr pumped us 3-0 in the League Cup. Should've stayed at my work anyway.

Favourite ever player?

If I'm being truly genuine, I'd have to say either Stewart or Hemmings. Both have just been my favourite players to watch in my relatively short time as a Dee. In terms of irrational love, it has to be big sexy Christian Nadé.

Most enjoyable game?

Bit cliché, but it's probably the Championship-winning game against Dumbarton in 2014. We'd had a pre-game party before the game, and the atmosphere was unlike any other I'd been a part of. I just wish it happened when I was older so I could cherish it more lol. The Doon Derby was special too, but nothing touches winning silverware.

Best goal seen live?

El Bakh's derby thunderb*****d in 2017 (that should definitely win the 'Goal of the Decade' competition on Twitter). About did a backflip after watching the net bulge up.

Favourite away stadium?

Eh, don't really have one yet. I quite liked Easter Road when I visited there, as well as Stark's Park and Victoria Park.

Worst away Stadium?

Either Tannadice or Pittodrie, largely experience-based. If we ever play at the Marakana Stadium (Red Star Belgrade's stadium) though, it'll be that. Actual shithole.

Worst player?

Ryan Inniss... ok probably not actually, I just hate him. Yordi Teijsse however... f**k me, I cannot remember a more useless player on the pitch. Made Moussa look like Messi.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

Why are you a Dee?

My cousin was and still is a big Dee. He's 13 year older than I. He took me along when he was around 17 (Without anyone else knowing) to a game with his mates. I was probably an absolute hassle and I certainly wasn't hooked.

Eventually got a season ticket with said cousin and his dad when I was 6. 21 year later and his dad has stopped but we still go. 

First game?

A drab 1-0 win against Airdrie at Dens. Apparently I was more concerned about a bald Airdrie player than I was the match.

Where do you sit?

Bobby Cox - Feels embarrassing to say that as most hardcore fans sit in the Derry (But at least I'm not a Main Stand guy). I seem to be a bad curse in the Derry though. Other than my first game - we've never won when I've sat there. Notable game being when Colin McMenamin made his debut against QotS and Craig Samson made two absolute howlers. It was only about January but for me, it was the day we lost the league title and the day that inspired my username.

Ever missed work/event to attend Dens?

Twice and neither benefited me. First was for Tough Mudder - Dundee Derby got arranged for the same day. £100-odd quid down the drain. Second, I missed a day out with my lass at the time, been together for roughly 5 year, cancelled on her and she ended up leaving me for my DAB supposed mate. :lol:

Favourite ever player?

Jamie Langfield was bizarrely my first hero. Then the man, the myth, the legend that is Julian Speroni came on the scene. Wow.

In terms of others; Barry Smith & Jocky are my known faves on here. 

Most Enjoyable Game?

Midweek after we'd beaten Raith with Neil McCann's last gasp goal, we played them again and won by the same scoreline. Loved every second. 

Best goal seen live?

The aforementioned Neil McCann goal. You can even hear the crowd now, there's a weird, 'Ohhhh' thinking he's missed and then it loops in. Absolute fairytale moment. The moment I and many others realised our club was doing the impossible and we were returning to our roots and it's the most I've ever celebrated a goal. It may have not been a screamer, but more emotion was poured out by the fanbase than for any other goal I've witnessed. 

Favourite away stadium?

It's hated on here, but I  like Alloa's ground. I was in the away end when we beat them to put us in poll position to win the league then I returned in the home section to watch them pap Hibs.

Worst away stadium? 

I like to pride myself on not leaving games early. In the game the Dunfernline keeper broke his leg, we conceded the league (it was lost already by this point tbf), it was cold, pissing down and I witnessed a genuine heartless display put me off the stadium for good.

Worst player?

Darren Williams - Quite easily up there. Terrible, terrible midfielder that unbelievably got more than 100 appearances for Sunderland.

Patrick Noubissie - Genuinely the worst player I've seen in professional football. On loan from Hibs, but genuinely abhorrent and didn't give a f**k. Horrendous doesn't cover it.

In his interview he says the Dundee Derby has a much better atmosphere than the Edinburgh Derby and his favourite moment as a player for us is the Paul Heffernan derby (He admits that John Beaton came up to him half way through the game to say he couldn't believe how good the atmosphere is for Dundee Derbies) and even though he wasn't playing, the night Craig Wighton sent United doon.

Edited by Ludo*1

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

In his interview he says the Dundee Derby has a much better atmosphere than the Edinburgh Derby and his favourite moment as a player for us is the Paul Heffernan derby (He admits that John Beaton came up to him half way through the game to say he couldn't believe how good the atmosphere is for Dundee Derbies) and even though he wasn't playing, the night Craig Wighton sent United doon.

Surprised he didn't also mention the last minute equaliser at Tannadice. While largely inconsequential you'd imagine that being the centre of that celebration would've been immense.

We now also know his favourite dinosaur is Arlo from The Good Dinosaur, so there's that.

1 minute ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Surprised he didn't also mention the last minute equaliser at Tannadice. While largely inconsequential you'd imagine that being the centre of that celebration would've been immense.

We now also know his favourite dinosaur is Arlo from The Good Dinosaur, so there's that.

The fact that he repeatedly says what class acts Neil McCann and Paul Hartley were but conveniently misses out the 1 other manager in his time at the club is telling IMO.

Why are you a Dee?

Family are all Dees, couldn't be anything else.

First game?

I cant remember to be quite honest. There were games before this, but the first game I can absolutely remember was the 1995 Cup game, Dundee 4 Hearts 4, not a bad game to be fair.

Where do you sit?

Season ticket for a decade in The Derry before giving it up. Now sit in The Main Stand when I do make it to Dens.

Crystal Palace for Speronis testimonial. Remember getting a lock in at what could only be described as a complete dump, a local hardmans pub, but it was a great, albeit slightly scary night.

No.

Favourite ever player?

I loved Anderson, McCann, Vrto and Adamczuk as a bairn, but have to give it to Nemsadze, a player whose legs didnt make sense.

Most enjoyable game?

Probably have to say Motherwell 0 Dundee 2, Bonettis first game in charge, and we played outstanding fitba that day. Under different circumstances, I could have picked Rangers 0 Dundee 2 when Caniggia and Rae scored, however, due to a ticket balls up, I ended up in the home end and couldn't celebrate our goals, horrible place, horrible fans, horrible hygiene amongst that lot.

Best goal seen live?

Probably Caballeros second thunderbolt against Rangers when they were awarded 65 penalties at Dens in a 2-2 draw. McCann semi final goal/cross, Caniggia at Pittodrie, Grady and Nemsadze at Tannadice with honourable mentions.

Favourite away stadium?

Tynecastle, very compact, steep and right on the pitch.

Worst away Stadium?

Not a dump, but for being an utterly soulless pointless existence, it has to be Livingstons.

Worst player?

Jesus, I could bring down the internet if I got started here. However, I will nominate Craig Burley, yes he is easily in the top 10% of players to play for us in my lifetime, if measured by overall quality, but his attitude, performance, work ethic, everything was appalling while he was at Dens.

Edited by srw

WHY- half the fam are dees half are dayglo and I’ll eat my left nut before  I wear tangerine 

FIRST GAME- been to loads but the first I remember is a shitty cup game against Wolverhampton wanderers

WHERE DO I SIT- in the cozy usually or mainstand if nothing else

LONGEST TRAVEL- either Aberdeen or Elgin dunno which is farther 

MISSED WORK-nope

FAVOURITE PLAYER- I don’t remember the nemzadzes or the ravanelli my “hero’s” were Nicky Riley , matty Lockwood , Gary harkins and Jim Mcallister

FAVORITE GAME- Man City game even though we played fairly pish the mere fact we could say we beat city just love it

BEST GOAL- all of EL BAK as he only ever scored screamers

BEST AWAY- probably Arbroath just for the night out involved 

WORST AWAY- mcdermaid park just for the small ass turnstiles

WORST PLAYER- Julen Etxabeguren could not figure out why he kept getting picked or graham Bayne 

8 hours ago, srw said:

Favourite ever player?

I loved Anderson, McCann, Vrto and Adamczuk as a bairn, but have to give it to Nemsadze, a player whose legs didnt make sense.

Cant believe I forgot about Weighorst & Rae.

It might well be sentimental, preferential memory or just me mixing up times, but the teams and players we had in Division 1 were often better than Premier teams we had, the players mentioned above, the Grady & Annand, Shaw & Britton partnerships, McSkimming, Pageau, two Duffys, etc etc

Also, I far prefer Division 1 to this Championship name pish.

Edited by srw

Why are you a Dee?

Family all support Dundee

First game?

Dundee v Liverpool testimonial. However I cant remember this as was just a few months old

Where do you sit?

Main stand mainly now as was easier for son to f**k about in and go to toilet without me needing to go with him

Ever missed work/event to attend Dens?

Probably but cant think of one.

Perugia. Was worth it n glad I did go.

Favourite ever player?

Paul Tosh when proper young.

Daruis Adamczuk

Juan Sara

Most Enjoyable Game?

Coca cola cup semi final v Airdrie. Was young but can remember everything about it . Carnage when winner went in

Best goal seen live?

James Grady against United. Hurt my knee when he scored. But everything about it was magical

Favourite away stadium?

Morton. I like old school. Its teckle

Worst away stadium? 

Aberdeen. Just shite

Worst player?

Been so many. Probably go with Craig Tully . He was awful

Why are you a Dee?

My dad was a ball boy at Dens in the late 40’s and took me to Dens in the 60’s. My first match that I remember was a derby loss on 2/1/67. United won 3-2. Then a few months later he took me to see the Fairs Cup ties against Zurich and then Leeds. I was hooked, although still attended Lochee United as I wasn’t allowed to go to Dens on my own.

Where do I sit

Started standing and then sitting for years under the tv gantry for years in the Derry. Now I’m in the Coxy.

Longest travel

Missed Perugia [emoji853] as I lived in France at the time, so the furthest is to a friendly at Morecombe.

Missed work

No, but plunked off school to attend the 1973 League Cup semi-final v Killie. Bus got burgled outside Hampden and some weegie toly knicked my havvie. My English essay went along with the jotter. My English teacher found the excuse so ridiculous as to be true and gave me a few days to write it again. Top doll.

favourite player

Depends on the era.
John Duncan
Jocky
Thomson Allan
Tommy Coyne
Keith Wright
Martin Weighorst
Claudia Cannigia
Fab Cabellero
Gary Harkins

Favourite game

1973 League Cup Final. So elated at 16 my mum thought I was pished. Hadn’t touched a drop in that very long day of the three day week.
Beating Rangers 3-0 at Ibrox in the Cup in front of 64,000. Coming out was a serious scarf hiding day.

Best goal
Not it’s quality, but the sheer emotion of the moment when Neil McCann scored the last minute winner against Raith in the Deefiant year.

Best away

Hearts/ Hibs. Quite like Starks Park too.

Worst away

Going to fucking Dumfries and never winning. I don’t like Celtic Park either.

Worst player
They all have names I’ve forgotten. No wish to remember them.

Why are you a Dee?

I think I first became interested in football in early 1960 as I can remember reading about Jimmy Gabriel being transferred to Everton. My Grandfather eventually took me to my first game, a 2-0 win against Celtic on Saturday 16 April 1960. Living through that era, winning the league, European Cup semi final and you had to be hooked. I can still recite the league winning team 58 years later. have to admit though other family members and schoolmates were United fans and used to go to see them regularly, as did a lot of Dee fans back then.

Where do I sit

I used to stand in what was then the enclosure at the Dens Road end and a bit over half way between the half way line and corner flag at the half-time scoreboard end. Nowadays when a game is live on satellite it's either lying in bed watching on tablet or on the sofa. Either usually resulting in falling back to sleep and waking up after the game is over.

Longest travel

16,259 kms to see the the derby over the road on 16 March 1996. 0-2 and Chic Charnley should never have been sent off. 

Missed work

No but went in late a few times, especially after an extra time 1-0 win against Hearts in the League Cup in early 2000's

Favourite player

Liney, Hamilton, Cox, Seith, Ure, Wishart, Smith, Penman, Cousin, Gilzean, Robertson

Bert Slater, Charlie Cooke, Jocky Scott, Jim Shirra, Les Barr, Eric Sinclair

Favourite game

Too many. The second last game of the 61-2. Pat Liney saved a penalty and we beat St Mirren 2-0 meaning a win on the Saturday and we win the league. The European Cup games in 62/3 although no idea why I wasn't able to go to the Cologne game. 10-2 win over QOTS in 62/3 as it was the first time I ran onto the pitch, fairly common then, to try to get somebody's autograph.

Best goal
Almost any of Alan Gilzean's goals and quite a few from Alan Cousin. Ian Redford scoring 3 or 4 in one game, I think.
Best away

Gayfield, Starks Park, Annfield. Tannadice in the 60s/70s, Muirton, cup game at Links Park

Worst away

0-0 draw against Arbroath in 78 or 79 knowing we;d definitely fucked our chance of promotion that season.

Worst player
George McLean, think he was part exchange for Andy Penman's move to Ibrox. He scored quite a few goals but he could miss absolute sitters more than any other player I can recall. he wasn't really the worst but probably the most infuriating.

Alex Harley, ex Third lanark & Manchester City. Misfortune of joining about the time Gilzean moved to Spurs. He was not a good buy.

Why are you a Dee?

The da. First game was a win against Ayr at Dens. I remember being on the old man's shoulders but no idea what age I was. Hooked from that moment. 

Where do I sit

Always been a Derry boy. 

Longest travel

Travelled back thrice in the last 18 months from Australia to Scotland and been to all the Dee games that were on while I was home. Didn't travel specifically for the games though so probably doesn't count. Albania to see us v Vllaznia in that case.

Missed work/event

Decided at the last minute to dinghy my team's U-17s game and go to the Dundee game with my old man. Got told at training the following week that a Morton scout had been there to watch me and I'd fucked it for myself. 

Favourite player

Hard to chose between Caballero, Caniggia, Nemsadze, Greg Stewart, Harry Larkins and Jan Zemlik.

Favourite game

Possibly the Neil McCann semi v Airdrie at Perth just for the sheer buzz of getting to a Cup Final for the first time in ever. 

Best goal

Off the top of my head, Greg Stewart turning Ross County defenders inside out about 246 times before slotting it away. I also seem to remember Bob Davidson scoring a 25 yarder into the top corner although that must've been a mad dream.

Best away

Best away ground: Tynecastle. Always loved going there since the days of standing behind the goal listening to the older lads wolf-whistling Henry Smith and shouting "Cooo-ee, Henryyy". Every time. 

Best away game: Shkodra in Albania just for the unique experience of travelling to a country I'd probably never go to otherwise. Travelled independently with my bruv and spent 4 nights in Tirana. A victory, cheap drink and some of the most sensational looking women on the planet.

Worst away

Worst away ground: Celtic Park. Just never liked it. Maybe if I'd seen a few more victories there I might've felt different. 

Worst away game: My last game before I emigrated to Oz was the 4-0 drubbing at Ibrox where we conceded about 12 seconds into the game and showed absolutely nothing for the rest of the match. The fact I'd convinced myself that the boys were going to send me away on a high probably contributed to my massive disappointment. Surrounded by those smug p***ks just staring at the away support for the entire game didn't help matters. 

Worst player

Probably not the worst performance wise, but definitely one of my least favourites due to being a wage thief who the medical staff allegedly couldn't find anything wrong with. 

Edit: It would probably help if I named the player I'm on about - Darren Young. 

Thank you.

Edited by Dee Man

On 27/03/2020 at 05:38, srw said:

It might well be sentimental, preferential memory or just me mixing up times, but the teams and players we had in Division 1 were often better than Premier teams we had, the players mentioned above, the Grady & Annand, Shaw & Britton partnerships, McSkimming, Pageau, two Duffys, etc etc

No, you're bang on. The First Division in the season we got to the Coca Cola Cup Final was as strong as f**k. I think we finished about 5th or something, but that squad would probably win the Championship now. Likewise the four teams that finished above us that season would all hold their own in the Premier. Dunfermline were a cracking outfit, great to watch and free-scoring as f**k, The DABs, much as it pains me to say it, still had the likes of Billy McKinlay, St Johnstone were building a side that would go on to establish itself comfortably in the Premier League and even Morton, although inconsistent, still rolled out a seemingly endless run of good young players. 

Maybe it is misty-eyed shite, but football just seemed a lot better then. IIRC that season ended with Dunfermline winning the title after a 1-0 win at Tannadice towards the end of the season, Morton and United fought out a 2-2 draw, with United scraping the play-off spot in which they would swap places with Partick.