All things Dundee FC

The Derry Lockdoon Questionnaire.

Why are you a Dee?

Taken by the old man and uncle from a boy. Runs in the family unlike the DABs.

First game?

I can't remember my first game exactly; I'd been going for a few years before I remember games clearly. Some of my first clear memories are a 7-1 pumping at home to Rangers and leaving around half time(welcome to Dunder FC); First time in the Derry was against Motherwell I remember Don Goodman playing, randomly. Running around my room celebrating as Paco Luna scored at Celtic Park trickled through on the radio is an early memory also.

Where do you sit?

Derry. Made my way round as a youth from the Main Stand to the Bobby Cox before Derry. Also remember sitting in the stand behind the goal at the Provie road end once or twice.

Longest you've travelled to watch the Dee?

Perugia, UEFA cup.

Ever missed work/event to watch the Dee?

Yes, phoned into my weekend job from the concourse at Starks Park. Not the best idea with all the noise around but that's what Tennants can do to a youth. 

Favourite ever player?

Nemsadze. Adamcyk a close second always loved him aswell.

Most enjoyable game?

Not sure what one specifically but the match where we just entered Admin and Bobby Linn scored against Hearts in the cup in extra time springs to mind. Probably a question that can change depending on what you're thinking on the day.

Best goal seen live?

Harkins chipped the keeper at Morton and it was a ridiculously good goal. Nemsadze's goal at Tannadice was a touch of class aswell.

Favourite away stadium?

I like Cappielow for some reason. Hearts and Hibs are always good days on the train aswell.

Worst away Stadium?

Pittodrie. Soulless graveyard of a ground and we usually get pumped.
Worst player?

I'd say to be the worst player you'd have to play a certain amount of games. There's no point saying a player is the worst after one match.I'd go for Moussa. An appalling football player who we went into the season with as our number one striker. Truly embarrassing. Daquin always springs to mind in this topic although he had a few good games.

That'll do I think. A bit of lockdown time to waste if anyone wants to participate. Safe one folks.

Thank you.

12 hours ago, Fifespud said:

I’m with Ludo - Pageaud was fucking magic. Driving through France over the years I’ve been tempted to track him down. I loved the guy - but his debut was horrendous.
Thinking about this a bit. We’ve had some good left backs down the years but Tosher was bloody brilliant. He’s very close to being my ‘Scottish’ player in such a team. A wand of a left foot.
Stay safe Dees and avoid the Merlin.

What a guy:

mandatory-credit-allsport-ukallsport-pic

czxg.jpg

Michel-Pageaud.gif

Next manager IMO.

Wee quiz:

1. Which Italian team did we play in a mid-week friendly on Thursday 9th May 2002?

2.  Which player was Jim Lauchlan favoured over in a pre-season trial 'face-off'?

3. Who was Derek Adams speaking about when he said, 'If Dundee keep him fit, they'll win the league no problem'?

4. Which current top flight manager did Alex Rae beat to the Dundee job?

5. Which unrealistic dream team was mooted for the managerial job before Jocky Scott was appointed as Alex Rae's successor?

6. Which former Dundee CH managed England U19's for a 5 year period?

7. Which player did John Nelms' refuse to sign for £400,000 during the Paul Hartley era?

8. Who was our substitute goalkeeper during the 'Club 12' season?

9. Who did Rab bring in to be our substitute goalkeeper for several games during our Deefiant season?

10. Who was the striker Dave Farrell brought in on trial after Alex Rae had been sacked?

4 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

What a guy:

mandatory-credit-allsport-ukallsport-pic

czxg.jpg

Michel-Pageaud.gif

Next manager IMO.

Sorry to disagree again, but my abiding memory of him is the "save" attempt during the fizzy juice final against the sheep. I was watching in the Uni sports bar with my mates and just laughed out loud at the hilarious awfulness of it...

11 minutes ago, This Charming Man said:

Big powerful, no nonsense defender Noel Blake. Check the pic below, classic strip as well!!!!!!

Unfortunately arrived at Dens near the end of his career.

691423656_download(1).jpg.1b781ad6fec45b8062ac0ff38667a7ee.jpg

Square go with Duffy in the dressing room when he was bollock naked as well.*

* hopefully this was true and not an urban myth.

Thank you.

Why are you a Dee?

3rd generation, followed my grandfather and father.

First game?

About 1970 playing St Johnstone, sat on the wall at the front of the Derry.

Where do you sit?

Derry. The only place to be.

Never made the UEFA cup, probably up to Brora.

No.

Favourite ever player?

Gary Harkins, big sexy bassa.

Most enjoyable game?

That time we sent the dayglo fuds into obscurity.

Best goal seen live?

Harkins free kick v Raith pinged it right in the top corner. Deefiant season.

Favourite away stadium?

Don't really have one, Arbroath is good though.

Worst away Stadium?

The Fruitbowl, these robbing b*****ds sold me a ticket and it was behind a pillar.

Worst player?

Flap Jack.

Why are you a Dee?

A hereditary illness passed down from my father.

First game?

A mid 80's 1-1 draw with United.

Where do you sit?

The Derry, but if  I take both the boys, the Coxy works out so much cheaper.

Longest you've travelled to watch the Dee?

Having lived in Aberdeen most of my life, I think Greenock is the furthest I have gone.

Not off the top of my head.

Favourite ever player?

Nemsadze probably. So many that I have enjoyed watching over the years.

Most enjoyable game?

The get, get doon derby.

Best goal seen live?

One sticks in my mind, a Kevin McDonald free kick against Celtic in the cup, we got beat 2-1 I think but I remember really enjoying that goal.

Favourite away stadium?

Pittodrie and the fence banter used to be good when we used to always win there.

Worst away Stadium?

The Caley Stadium. Fuckin worst atmosphere at a game ever.

Worst player?

Tom Hateley and Martin Woods fight to the death, winner gets shot.

No, no and no again to Simon Murray.

What would he bring to the table that Nelson doesn't? Both have pace and run about daft - that's the limit of Murray's talent. Now I rate Nelson, but understand how some don't, but you can't tell me Murray would bring more to the table.

Why are you a Dee?

My dad, grandfather and great grandfather all supported Dundee.  That’s worth much more to me than supporting a team just to see them winning trophies.

First game?

At Dens v Ayr United in the early 70s.  Dad took me in to see the last 20-30 minutes.  That was back in the day when the gates were opened half way into the second half.

Where do you sit?

The Derry.

Never been out the country to watch Dundee I’m afraid.  Missed the European games and Palace.

A wedding but then again I’d use just about any excuse to miss a wedding.

Favourite ever player?

Jim Duffy or John Brown.  Love players that will run through a brick wall for the cause.

Most enjoyable game?

I would say the Doon Derby but that was more of a laugh at United than actually being an enjoyable game.  The game that stands out for me is the 4-3 ‘Fedora match’ against Rangers at Dens.  End to end stuff.  I particularly liked Stainrod’s post match interview.

Best goal seen live?

Bobby Glennie’s rocket against Aberdeen.  Top corner against a keeper at the top of his game at the time.  Probably more to do with the fact that Glennie never scored goals.

Favourite away stadium?

Muirton.  That was a real football ground with so many memories for Dees older than me.  The last time I was there before it was bulldozed to make way for the monstrosity further up the road was the Saturday night pre season game at Muirton in the late 80s.  Utter mayhem.

Worst away Stadium?

McDiarmid.  The epitome of what football has sadly become.

Worst player?

Way too many to chose from but if I have to.   From years ago i’d go for Vince Mennie.  Probably has more to do with the fact we paid close to £100,000 to bring him from Cologne so there were high hopes for him.  The most recent one has to be Danny Williams.  Again, big wages paid for absolutely nothing!