All things Dundee FC

2 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

How has Berra looked for you so far?

Made a real difference to us defensively and appears to have settled those around him. We’ve stopped leaking goals since he’s come into the side and at the same time Hearts have started to ship them. Hopefully it remains the same for Dundee. Not very often a Dundee team goes 2 games without conceding a goal 🙈

1 minute ago, Yenitit said:

Made a real difference to us defensively and appears to have settled those around him. We’ve stopped leaking goals since he’s come into the side and at the same time Hearts have started to ship them. Hopefully it remains the same for Dundee. Not very often a Dundee team goes 2 games without conceding a goal 🙈

Indeed. Only 1 goal conceded in the last 3 games and the chance was created from a bad deflection off of a free kick.

3 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

We’ve definitely looked better defensively since Berra has came in. Limited Morton, Partick and Queen Of The South to very few clear cut chances. 

Absolutely agree with you there.  I thought he may be too slow but so far he seems to have read the game very well which helps to compensate for any lack of pace.

2 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Absolutely agree with you there.  I thought he may be too slow but so far he seems to have read the game very well which helps to compensate for any lack of pace.

Not seen the so called lack of pace that so many fans of other clubs liked to tell us about when we signed him. So far, so good. 

4 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Glad to see him doing well, I said at the time he signed he'd do well at that level as if you let him concentrate on defending he's fine, it's when you ask him to do thing he can't that's the problem.  

I'd disagree there's any correlation between him going and the rate we are letting them in though. We were very far from solid with him and he was culpable for goals all over the place.

2 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Not seen the so called lack of pace that so many fans of other clubs liked to tell us about when we signed him. So far, so good. 

I also said when people were laughing at you signing him he wasn't slow, especially in a straight line.  He can't turn as well as he used to though.

3 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

I also said when people were laughing at you signing him he wasn't slow, especially in a straight line.  He can't turn as well as he used to though.

He had a run up the left wing today with the ball at his feet and the striker didn’t keep up with him. Might be in my head but he looked a bit sharper today!

1 minute ago, Yenitit said:

He had a run up the left wing today with the ball at his feet and the striker didn’t keep up with him. Might be in my head but he looked a bit sharper today!

Don't think it's just in your head. Didn't have playing time for a while at Hearts, so probably is getting better with every new game and improved match fitness.

1 hour ago, Yenitit said:

We’ve definitely looked better defensively since Berra has came in. Limited Morton, Partick and Queen Of The South to very few clear cut chances. 

1 hour ago, Shadow Play said:

When I read the description above by Shadow it reminded me of the fellow below. Not the quickest of defenders, however what he possessed between his ears reading the game left even the most gifted or overpaid of strikers in his wake. If Berra is even 70% of that player, he'll more than do well at our current lower level.

Regards165905357_download(12).jpg.f0fd77928765848d0cd51189797018ec.jpg 

Edited by This Charming Man

28 minutes ago, This Charming Man said:

When I read the description above by Shadow it reminded me of the fellow below. Not the quickest of defenders, however what he possessed between his ears reading the game left even the most gifted or overpaid of strikers in his wake. If Berra is even 70% of that player, he'll more than do well at our current lower level.

Spot on TCM.  I was at Ibrox when he got the injury.  Studs caught in the grass.  Such a shame, yet he was never bitter about it.

Off the top of my head the only players around that time that I can think of that could match his ability to read the game were Ray Wilkins and Willie Miller.  Good company indeed.

2 hours ago, This Charming Man said:

Neil Orr was a standout for Morton for a few years, and when he left for England we signed Jim Duffy from Sellick as  his replacement. It was an underwhelming signing at the time but he won the fans over in no time. Tackled like a demon, solid as a rock defensively, great distribution, anticipation of what was coming that was almost psychic - we never missed Neil Orr at all, and when the Duff left Cappielow it was a big big loss to us.

Anyone who doubts how good he was should look out what John Terry said about how Duffy mentored him at Chelsea, Terry credits him with making him into the player he was (shame he couldn’t have turned him into a decent human being as well, but there you go).

No surprise we have tightened up since Berra came in. He’s a quality player. There is so much more wrong at Hearts than just him.
Surprised and very pleased to win 2 on the bounce. Hopefully this half decent we run can continue. Not mathematically impossible to catch the scum.

Feel it's too early to label Berra as a successful signing but he's fairly shut my pus so far. The biggest plaudit isn't his own performances, it's that he has Meekings and Forster looking like good CH's.

Feel it's too early to label Berra as a successful signing but he's fairly shut my pus so far. The biggest plaudit isn't his own performances, it's that he has Meekings and Forster looking like good CH's.

This. What a difference a proper leader at the back does to a team. We look far more organised at the back with Berra there and like you said, Meekings and Forster to look like competent centre halves now.