All things Dundee FC

8 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I'm getting a sense of deja vu with Hearts, reminding me of us last season. Everybody was so convinced that once we got a couple of positive results we'd kick on and easily rise above Accies and Midden, but it never happened. Stendel has had exactly the same start to league football as McIntyre had, started with 4 straight losses, went on a 4 game unbeaten streak with 2 draws, a win and another draw, before losing their next 2. This Saturday for them against Accies is huge, as it could well dictate who finishes bottom. Even if Hearts prevail and genuinely pick up form like everyone is saying they will, they'll still be in a dogfight around the relegation playoffs.

I hope you're right, but Hearts are giving off the same helpless vibe we had last season.

I was just saying to a boy in work there that if Stendel had been the boss since the summer and they were in a similar position and leaking goals they way they are then you would probably have a large majority of people saying that (if he hadn’t fucked the previous season up) Craig Levein would be a good shout to make them a bit more solid and get points on the board.  It’s a funny old game.

Watching their highlights last night and they appeared to be playing with no fullbacks and very little in terms of defensive minded players at all.

10 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

As SRW posted earlier, Hearts are having a very DABs 15/16 season. I think they'll be reliant on St Mirren being worse to avoid 12th tbh.

I think if anyone bails them out this season it's Accies. They're the rankest they've been yet.

3 minutes ago, Crawford said:

Imagine relegating that shower of shite to reunite them with Morten 

That would be Deeeeeelicious

Just lost Brian Easton for 2 months, they have barely anybody left to send on the pitch. You'd imagine they're the dream team to meet in the playoffs... but then again they are the Kings of playoff football.

14 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Old man Danger and/or kiddie batterer Barile to make a c**t of themselves on Question Time from the Caird Hall tonight. 

You've got that pair, plus the 'firestarter' and the 'dodgy' groundsman. 

Spoiler

Image result for scooby doo gif

1 hour ago, Crawford said:

Imagine relegating that shower of shite to reunite them with Morten 

That would be Deeeeeelicious

Weirdly I'd almost prefer Hearts in a play-off. There's simply no possibility that Accies would bottle it in a play-off against us. A moot point anyway as we'd be relying on McPake to steer us through 2 extremely tough ties against Ayr and Caley. 

Going back to the "Best Manager" stuff. I'll probably get this wrong, but i think since I started going in the 87-88 season, we've had:

• Jocky Scott
  • Dave "Coco" Smith
  • John Blackley (unsure if he was only caretaker)
  • Gordon Wallace
  • Iain Munro
  • Simon "God" Stainrod
  • Jim Duffy
  • John "Cowboy" McCormack
  • Jocky Scott
  • The Bonettis
  • Jim Duffy
  • Alan Kernaghan
  • Alex Rae
  • Jocky Scott
  • Chisholm and Dodds
  • Barry Smith
  • John "Whaurs the Deeds" Brown
  • Paul Hartley
  • Neil McCann
  • Jim MacIntyre
  • James McPake

Of that lot, I'd say I've genuinely enjoyed watching us under Jocky first time round, Stainrod, and Duffy in his first spell.

Jocky was manager when I started going part way through the 87-88 season, and it was a bit mental having one of the top scorers in europe playing for us every week. Sadly Angus Cook fucked our season by punting John Brown to Rangers in January. We faded after that, going from a 9 point lead over the DABs for the last UEFA cup spot to eventually finishing miles behind them in 7th or 8th. 

Iain Munro was a bit unlucky and underrated, but Stainrod rejuvenated the place as manager, despite getting regular stick as a player. Any Dees my age will fondly remember the 4-3 win over Rangers, but he managed a classy backs to the wall 1-0 win at Tannadice a few weeks later in which Duffy had a magnificent game at the back. We barely got out of our half all game but Dodds scored a late pen after Ivo Den Biemen went on a mazy. 

Duffy i think did extremely well in the mid 90s, getting a First Division side to a cup final and semi final in consecutive seasons. There was a real good vibe about the place, we were monumentally skint, Ron Dixon was a hopeless absentee chairman but we were often great to watch and most of my most memorable games as a Dee were during that spell. Stand outs were the mental 4-4 draw at McDiarmid Park (Weighorst's debut), winning 3-2 at Tannadice a week before the Cup Final and the Cup run itself, beating Hearts on pens after a 4-4 draw, and a Semi against Airdrie, again at McDiarmid. Duffy was interviewed sometime afterwards about that time, and basically said McCann's goal kept the club afloat. Sadly we shat it against an Aberdeen side with a front two of Shearer and Dodds in the final but those were fun days. I was gutted when he left for Hibs, a move he massively regretted, but I don't think any reasonable fan could blame him given the constraints he was working under. Dixon was basically selling every decent player we produced. 

Edited by Day of the Lords

6 hours ago, Dele said:

Rae under Kernaghan. WTF? 

Edit: I never even seen McPake under McIntyre. 

Out. 

McIntyre is, without a doubt, the biggest shyster to ever take the seat at Dens. 

If you're meaning my post, it's chronological, not rating 😂

Kernaghan is by some distance the worst. I'd still argue that MacIntyre would still have us in a better position than the current clown.

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

I'm sure 87-88 was the season Duffy did his knee. I remember us easily sitting top half that season, then as soon as we lost him we started shipping goals left and right, slipped down the table and missed out on a UEFA spot yet again.

Duffy did his knee in a defeat at Ibrox in September 87. Defensively we were poorer after that, however we were still scoring plenty at the other end. Brown's transfer killed us that season, the goals dried up in January onwards and we were almost totally reliant on a tiring Tommy Coyne. 

3 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

If you're meaning my post, it's chronological, not rating 😂

Kernaghan is by some distance the worst. I'd still argue that MacIntyre would still have us in a better position than the current clown.

🤣 So you're telling me Coco somehow isn't 2nd top? I don't know what to believe anymore lol.

Kernaghan was truly awful but he did inherit a tragic team from Duffy and had to try to work with it when money was really tight. I'm sure he'd much rather have had the equivalent of the current squad. So far McPake and Kernaghan are pretty similar in managerial performance from my viewpoint