All things Dundee FC

4 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

He was going either way, wasn't happy being no. 2. Think it'll be positive for the morale of the dressing room to not have a moaning git out of there. There clearly wasn't a good chemistry in the team around Johnson, as even when we were doing well he seemed on the periphery. McPake is looking for a combination to compliment Hemmings and get the ball up to him quicker. I think we will benefit from this change in approach personally, but it of course remains to be seen.

As for Jeebsy I'll say it again, if he signs for the minimum amount I'll happily have him in again as an impact subbie at most, but his days of carrying sides are well over.

Admire your positivity but what n makes you think McPake is looking for a combination to get the ball up quickly to Hemmings now when he’s had all season to do it? I see a manager clutching at straws and scrambling around with little idea severely  out of his depth 

16 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

He was going either way, wasn't happy being no. 2. Think it'll be positive for the morale of the dressing room to not have a moaning git out of there. There clearly wasn't a good chemistry in the team around Johnson, as even when we were doing well he seemed on the periphery. McPake is looking for a combination to compliment Hemmings and get the ball up to him quicker. I think we will benefit from this change in approach personally, but it of course remains to be seen.

As for Jeebsy I'll say it again, if he signs for the minimum amount I'll happily have him in again as an impact subbie at most, but his days of carrying sides are well over.

Ross it’s only hearsay from a couple of posters over social media who claim Johnson was bad for morale. Take with a pinch of salt what is claimed over the internet unless the user has regularly come up with info that is pretty spot on. Back in the Dundee Mad days Morganboy for example was pretty spot on. Us on here are just guessing 

Just now, ravabelli said:

Admire your positivity but what n makes you think McPake is looking for a combination to get the ball up quickly to Hemmings now when he’s had all season to do it? I see a manager clutching at straws and scrambling around with little idea severely  out of his depth 

Crankshaw is full of pace and attacking intent, much the same with Murray. Wallace plenty of experience and no doubt a deft touch. All wingers, all being brought in or at least considered to fill the gap between our glacial midfield and frustrated striker. He's very clearly trying to address the issues by incorporating fast pace and experienced leaders in all positions on the pitch.

He had one window to sort out a brand new team, it really isn't 'all season'. What else is he supposed to do other than address the issues that are obvious to everyone? Scrap the entire team again? I'd agree he's probably worried that these moves don't pay off, but he's certainly not an idiot who is not seeing what the problems are. He's working with what he's got and trying to add to lacking areas, like any manager would. It's only fair we (myself included on Berra) don't judge his work in this window until it's over and the players show what they can do.

^^^ this

The managers job at a provincial club is to get guys like DJ onside. If Steven MacLean turns up fair enough, although I don’t see him as a McPake type player.

And given that Jeebs probably loves Thistle as much as he loves us, and the fact that he couldn’t cut it there now, it’s a no for me.

We need the new Jeebs, whoever he is, not the old one.

There are diamonds out there. We missed a trick not snapping up Nisbet. He’s definitely worth a punt.

2 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Crankshaw is full of pace and attacking intent, much the same with Murray. Wallace plenty of experience and no doubt a deft touch. All wingers, all being brought in or at least considered to fill the gap between our glacial midfield and frustrated striker. He's very clearly trying to address the issues by incorporating fast pace and experienced leaders in all positions on the pitch.

He had one window to sort out a brand new team, it really isn't 'all season'. What else is he supposed to do other than address the issues that are obvious to everyone? Scrap the entire team again? I'd agree he's probably worried that these moves don't pay off, but he's certainly not an idiot who is not seeing what the problems are. He's working with what he's got and trying to add to lacking areas, like any manager would. It's only fair we (myself included on Berra) don't judge his work in this window until it's over and the players show what they can do.

Murray is central is he not?

Just now, Yenitit said:

Ross it’s only hearsay from a couple of posters over social media who claim Johnson was bad for morale. Take with a pinch of salt what is claimed over the internet unless the user has regularly come up with info that is pretty spot on. Back in the Dundee Mad days Morganboy for example was pretty spot on. Us on here are just guessing 

I've heard from more sources than just on forums mate, the lad is full of himself like you wouldn't believe. You watch McPake's demeanour after being asked about Johnson's exit and tell me there wasn't a hint of animosity there. You could see the friction on the pitch with Johnson. Remember being at the wee hospitality huts at the QoS game, and while the group practiced together Johnson didn't move to join them. Every time the players celebrate a goal you can see bits of how they get on. Players like McDaid and Forster are clearly popular and are always in the center of the congratulations. Others less so, but usually amicable reactions. Johnson always looked a bit estranged.

4 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

The problem has been formation an ensuring each player knows what they are doing in that formation to defend and to get goals. The players look totally lost out on the park, that is a sign of an idiot manager. Can he not see Dorrans miles out of position on a constant basis? If he doesn't he's an idiot, if he does and isn't doing anything about it then is that any better. Does he encourage our full backs to get forward by ensuring our holding midfielder (?) covers in behind when they are doing so? These are just a couple of absolute basics that we have not been able to achieve - afraid I am well past having any hope in a manager that looks lost looking at his own shoelaces and instils as much passion as Rev IM Jolly (look him up youngsters) 

7 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I've heard from more sources than just on forums mate, the lad is full of himself like you wouldn't believe. You watch McPake's demeanour after being asked about Johnson's exit and tell me there wasn't a hint of animosity there. You could see the friction on the pitch with Johnson. Remember being at the wee hospitality huts at the QoS game, and while the group practiced together Johnson didn't move to join them. Every time the players celebrate a goal you can see bits of how they get on. Players like McDaid and Forster are clearly popular and are always in the center of the congratulations. Others less so, but usually amicable reactions. Johnson always looked a bit estranged.

Don’t really care if he’s full of himself or not to be honest. He said he would score goals,he did with very few starts. Full of himself but delivered. Arguably our best performance of the season was against Aberdeen when he played up front on his own and he had a very good game. 

It's the job of a manager to get people that don't particularly like eachother to work together.

That's evidently another area McPake is lacking in. I honestly have zero confidence in him at all and even a run of good results isn't going to change that.

I will happily accept not being relegated this year, but we need an actual manager to push for promotion next season.

I know it was 100% unreasonable to expect promotion at the first time of asking, but with the squad we had at the start of the season it was perfectly manageable.

His recruitment has been excellent and by all means, keep him as a scout, but he is not and never will be a good manager.

2 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Jesus, place this thread on suicide watch why don't you. I have faith we will get back to some semblance if order in the coming weeks. If you don't, fair enough, but some of these overreactions are ludicrous.

With all due respect, are you really satisfied with the  ongoing progress shown this season, considering we have easily provided by far the second largest budget in this league.

Personally if it was my company being managed in this manner, I would not hesitate to react with the only correct and professional course of action. James McPake would have been relieved of his managerial duties long before now.  

In fairness though, he would not have been appointed in the first instance, however that's a separate subject for a later date.

Best regards as always

11 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

The managers job at a provincial club is to get guys like DJ onside. If Steven MacLean turns up fair enough, although I don’t see him as a McPake type player.

If the player isn't happy with his position in the team and only serves to further ruin the morale of the rest of the team, I don't see the point in continuing the strained relationship when neither party is happy. DJ wanted to usurp Hemmings, McPake preferred Hemmings (and I agree with him), and DJ wasn't having it. If MacLean provides a foil role to Kano I'd welcome it (which is why I'm interested in Watt), but don't think having 2 of the same player types fighting for 1 role and derailing the team mentality is worth pushing forward with.

18 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Murray is central is he not?

I assume both Murray and Wallace can do both winger and CAM roles. Won't pretend I exactly know how Murray plays, didn't watch last night (was at work).

4 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Don’t really care if he’s full of himself or not to be honest. He said he would score goals,he did with very few starts. Full of himself but delivered. Arguably our best performance of the season was against Aberdeen when he played up front on his own and he had a very good game. 

That's fine, I thought he was good in that role too. I personally prefer Hemmings between the two though, and so did McPake. Johnson wasn't having it and wanted to leave.

4 minutes ago, This Charming Man said:

With all due respect, are you really satisfied with the  ongoing progress shown this season, considering we have easily provided by far the second largest budget in this league.

Personally if it was my company being managed in this manner, I would not hesitate to react with the only correct and professional course of action. James McPake would have been relieved of his managerial duties long before now.  

In fairness though, he would not have been appointed in the first instance, however that's a separate subject for a later date.

Best regards as always

I'm not trying to annoy anyone here, but I for one think the suggestion of relegation right now is ludicrous. I think that's a fair statement to make. I'm not satisfied as I have attempted to make very clear, but I also don't want to give up which everyone else seems to be so willing to do. Said it before, say it again, McPake was never my choice for manager. I was gutted when I found out we'd lost out on Goodwin tbh, and was concerned. But now he's in, I feel it is only fair to allow him to try and prove he has what it takes to improves this situation. Call me a happy clapper if you may, but I want McPake to succeed, and considering he isn't getting booted any time soon, am willing to support him in his efforts to lift this team up. It upsets me that it feels like very few else will too.

I appreciate your sentiments of course, I'm just hoping there's some positivity left in this fanbase.

The problem has been formation an ensuring each player knows what they are doing in that formation to defend and to get goals. The players look totally lost out on the park, that is a sign of an idiot manager. Can he not see Dorrans miles out of position on a constant basis? If he doesn't he's an idiot, if he does and isn't doing anything about it then is that any better. Does he encourage our full backs to get forward by ensuring our holding midfielder (?) covers in behind when they are doing so? These are just a couple of absolute basics that we have not been able to achieve - afraid I am well past having any hope in a manager that looks lost looking at his own shoelaces and instils as much passion as Rev IM Jolly (look him up youngsters) 

^^^ this

You can change the deckchairs but if the man running the place doesn’t know how to set up a deck chair, it isn’t going to make much difference.

My biggest problem is I cannot see the slightest shred of improvement, in fact in a lot of ways we are getting worse. Some sort of clusterfuck formation should have been found by now. You know what I mean, it isn’t pretty but good enough to beat Arbroath at Gayfield.

13 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

That's fine, I thought he was good in that role too. I personally prefer Hemmings between the two though, and so did McPake. Johnson wasn't having it and wanted to leave.

I'm not trying to annoy anyone here, but I for one think the suggestion of relegation right now is ludicrous. I think that's a fair statement to make. I'm not satisfied as I have attempted to make very clear, but I also don't want to give up which everyone else seems to be so willing to do. Said it before, say it again, McPake was never my choice for manager. I was gutted when I found out we'd lost out on Goodwin tbh, and was concerned. But now he's in, I feel it is only fair to allow him to try and prove he has what it takes to improves this situation. Call me a happy clapper if you may, but I want McPake to succeed, and considering he isn't getting booted any time soon, am willing to support him in his efforts to lift this team up. It upsets me that it feels like very few else will too.

I appreciate your sentiments of course, I'm just hoping there's some positivity left in this fanbase.

I think Hemmings is the better of the 2 as well but I wanted to see a front 2 pairing. Whether it was Hemmings and Johnson or Hemmings and Nelson orJohnson and Nelson I couldn’t care less as long as it was the best partnership with the odd 1 out coming on with half an hour or so to go in the game. 

Did he really want to leave? None of us know for certain. If someone gave me the option of Dundee or London  I’d jump at the chance of a move to London for 2 or 3 years. In footballing standards at worst it’s a sideways move. it does give people the opportunity to say he wanted to leave. 

We’ve got 49 hours of the transfer window to go and our piss poor manager has had a piss poor transfer window. 

2 hours ago, Fifespud said:

No. You don’t let your only other fit, grown up striker leave until you have a replacement. That’s moronic. I don’t mind seeing Johnson go, but to not have someone lined up? Who do we play up front if Hemmings is suspended or injured given Nelson is likely to be one or the other too? After this weekend who can we sign - someone who has been totally punted - now that is a gamble.

Pretty clear Johnson forced a move with his behaviour. It's always for the best to get rid of trouble makers and folk who don't want to be there. If you create a shitstorm in any other line of work you get punted, they don't wait until after they've hired your replacement. 

It's not as if the club wont have players scouted and monitored anyway, that's just due diligence all clubs do. Takes time to enquire and negotiate with a player though, which is what McPake was clearly alluding to.

2 hours ago, johnnydun said:

I would genuinely be happy at the return of Jeebsy.

Not as a starter but as a game changer sub.

He did come on at 78' in our last home game against Partick.

Just sayin'.

The Glorious One was reduced to a role as a sub target man to hold the ball up in his last few weeks. Weirdly this worked against Inverness but nobody else, including yourselves. 

Despite the old adage that he never had pace to lose in the first place so shouldn't have declined badly, he is completely done. Unfortunately. He'd still be a wizard at 5s tho.

Edited by Fuctifano

Even I don’t think we will get relegated, but the way things are going, I wouldn’t be surprised with a 6/7th place finish. 

We are, as usual under Our Yankee dictator, stringing out the inevitable sacking of another dire twat.