All things Dundee FC

Read dafties on other forums and twitter that have a bee in their bonnet about people asking to play 2 upfront. If they can’t see that we don’t have the players to suit this 4-3-2-1 system or even understand their positioning on the park  then it’s not worth even trying to discuss it with them. McPake clearly prefers this 2-1 formation at the top end of the park with either 4 or 5 at the back yet the lunatic never signed the players to play this way. 

The club’s sleep walking towards oblivion. Actually appointing the right manager since Hartley would change all this quickly enough though. 
This is why I dont read other forums.
The manager appointments since Hartley have been a disgrace.
However since all the bad shit has happened we have had more people join this forum. Misery clearly is part of our club.

53 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

The formation isn’t the problem. Hemmings scored 26 goals in a season as a loan striker in his last spell with us. They’re just so badly coached that we don’t do anything properly whether that’s 1 up top or 2. Talking formations is a waste of time, it really doesn’t make that much of a difference.

The formation is the problem. The 2 behind Hemmings don’t have a clue where to position themselves, when to support him or where to be defensively. Nelson, McDaid, McGowan, Mackie and Cameron now have all been hung out to dry playing in a position that isn’t natural to them. If you what to play a specific formation sign the guys who play this way, are suited to the formation and it’s their natural position. We’re trying centre forwards, central midfielders and a bloody left back at right wing. It’s an absolute farcical situation to be in.

Young Finlay got over run by the big lads in the Inverness team and had 1 poor game. It’s not a crime to have a poor game now and again. He’s now found himself out of the side getting no game time after striking up a half decent partnership with Dorrans that allowed Dorrans to get further up the park and influence games where we want him to be. McPake is now playing yet another loan signing in front of him. McPake has to go. We get ourselves picking up results playing 4-4-2 then for no obvious reason changes from 2 up top to 1 and we’re getting pumped and pish results yet again. 

I go to games because it’s a way of life, the person I am but this last season and a half is as bad as it’s been simply because the manager’s are horrendous. We now make a joke of it about what minute of the game we will have our 1st shot on target when we play 1 up front. I usually go for around 20 minutes, last night we never had a single shot on or off target playing 1up front but took all of 3 minutes once it was 2. I’m done sitting bored out my tits watching negative, defensive pish hoping to sneak a 1 goal win after being more worried about the opposition than enforcing ourselves on the game and attacking sides. I go to every home game and probably 2/3rds of the away games. If I feel like that what are those who come now and again thinking and how are we ever going to entice people out. Go out and sign players to play in their natural position and actually attack teams for a change. As a club we should at the very least be the equal to Motherwell. We’re light years behind them and they just seem to churn out team after team with no real fuss yet we slide from 1 disaster to another. 

McPake clearly wants us to play a patient, possession game, stretching the pitch sideways by having the FB's pushed right up and Dorrans coming deep to pick the ball up a nd orchestrate. The problem is, that doesn't work at this level of football, because none of the players are comfortable on the ball enough to take it with a man on them, they don't have the spacial awareness and quickness of thought to move into what little spaces there are, and they don't have the technique to play the one-touch quickly move it on style required once the ball does get put up the pitch. The net result is, we give opponents plenty time to drop back into a solid defensive shape, they pick up each of our attacking players, so that when we do finally put the ball forwards we quickly lose it, or there's no space or free man to exploit.

1 up front, 2 up front, 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1, it doesn't matter at all. None of that is the problem when you're trying to play football your team isn't capable of, and as a result, just making life easier for the opposition.

Even playing Hemmings up front on his own, if we moved the ball much more quickly forwards, theoretically the 3 immediately behind him should be getting the ball in more space, the oppenents get less time to pick people up, it makes them harder to track, and we should naturally see more chances created as a result. Much the same story if we just played 4-4-2 but also moved the ball much more quickly and directly. When we win the ball we immediately start passing it along the back four, which just lets the opponent drop back into their defensive shape. We need to look at getting it forward more quickly to exploit space and opponents being turned, rather than this daft attempt to emulate Pep's Bayern side with gung-ho FB's.

The players aren't the whole problem, and it's not as simple as sticking somebody up front alongside Hemmings. It's the style and tempo of football McPake is trying to play. It doesn't suit this level because the players don't have the ability to do it effectively, and it just plays into the hands of opponents. Lesser footballing ability is less of a factor when you're taking about what the side does when it doesn't have the ball. This is why teams find it particularly easy to defend against us even if this league isn't full of great footballers. We make it easy for them when we have the ball. 

Edited by Boo Khaki

Biggest issue is that no matter the formation our midfield are far too slow at supplying the ball and supporting the front men.

The lack of width I think doesn't help - the narrow midfield gets pushed further and further back because the opposition just sit in on top of us - and then all we have us the lump up the park. It's not just width from midfield but also our fullbacks - just want to scream at the number of times they get the ball and don't take on their opposite number - choosing instead to turn and pass back.

McPake looks utterly bereft of ideas.

Apart from Nelms there surely isn't anyone who now thinks McPake has what it takes to turn our predicament around. Surely we need to get the message over that we as ever dwindling fans are not wanting to put up with this. So, should we have some kind of McPake out message at the next home game or a boycott. Personally I'd go for the latter, even as a season ticket holder, as going to watch the next instalment of the McPake tactical masterclass gives me the fear. This season is done if McPake doesn't go. More likely to be relegated based on last night performance. Something has to be done and now. As for next manager - Tommy Wright would be just grand by me. 

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Not that many care on here, but McPake still hasn't had his post-match interview with DeeTV uploaded, anyone know if he avoided it or what?

Interesting 🤔 I can only hope that means what I think it means.

Edited by Crawford

14 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Not that many care on here, but McPake still hasn't had his post-match interview with DeeTV uploaded, anyone know if he avoided it or what?

7 minutes ago, Crawford said:

Interesting 🤔 I can only hope that means what I think it means.

I heard the interview is still being recorded and the delay is because McPake is taking a slightly longer inhale of breath than usual before answering each question.

2 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I heard the interview is still being recorded and the delay is because McPake is taking a slightly longer inhale of breath than usual before answering each question.

"So James, thoughts?"

"Eeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yeah..."

11 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Cool. Hopefully he finds a place where his aged body can be effective. Not at Dens though, sorry Jeebsy.

In all seriousness, I obviously agree but there is a tiny part of me that says at least we'd see creativity/a chance made for Hemmings from time to time!

13 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Cool. Hopefully he finds a place where his aged body can be effective. Not at Dens though, sorry Jeebsy.

We've fallen a long way since he was last in the team. Maybe we've caught up to him. 😂

Bring back Mr Yazoo!

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Saw his post match interview on Sportscene, it's a mumbling mess, and a depressing load of nonsense.