All things Dundee FC

Would it not be easier to punt McPake before his case is heard citing the case as his reason of departure? Like Crawford he lacks the experience to get the best out of his fairly talented squad

5 hours ago, 101 said:

Would it not be easier to punt McPake before his case is heard citing the case as his reason of departure? Like Crawford he lacks the experience to get the best out of his fairly talented squad

Is it really a talented squad though? Perhaps on reputation, perhaps on wages per week but if it was that talented it'd surely have enough about it to make sure the Dunfermline keepers top goes in to this mornings' wash. 

McPake looks to have serious failings but at what point do the players take their share of responsibility?

Crankshaw when he came on was at least getting to the byline and putting in some good crosses and giving the left back something to worry about, too many senior pros just strolling about for me and making easy passes that aren't hurting the opposition. 

Toothless up front and not enough cutting edge from midfield or wide areas, prior to the Wigan boy coming on. I'd try and get Dorrans further forward, he drifted out of the game as it went on. 

And you wouldn't be rushing to describe any of the back 4 or goalie as being anything other than distinctly average either. Hamilton's confidence looks to have long deserted him. 

At one point in the 2nd half McPake was trying to bawl at Kerr, who clearly didn't have a clue what was being asked of him. All clearly not well. 

7 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

If he had the financial means to craft a team I'm sure he'd been much less stressed. You'd imagine we'd offer that. I'm so low I'd honestly welcome it if it ever did happen, but I believe we'll be stuck with McPake til we're in a complete relegation dogfight.

His anger just now is directed at the people above him at the club having no idea about football, but making all the footballing decisions.

I'm not sure Dundee is different to that.

His anger just now is directed at the people above him at the club having no idea about football, but making all the footballing decisions.
I'm not sure Dundee is different to that.

Nah, Dundee is the complete opposite. We pretty much give our managers free reign to do whatever they want, no matter how crazy and what overspend it brings.

1 minute ago, harry94 said:

Nah, Dundee is the complete opposite. We pretty much give our managers free reign to do whatever they want, no matter how crazy and what overspend it brings.

Prepare to have 7 first team wingers as your top earners then.

Plus Chris Kane up front.

Any Dees still backing him?

He won’t get sacked, but clearly should have gone months ago. Without a doubt the worst manager in my 40 years on this planet. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone look so lost, sad and confused. 

Im reading In various places that he is a good coach, and should be moved back to the youths, I want him out of the club completely. 

Since Hartley, every appointment has been a significant downgrade. McPake should never work in football again. 

4 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

You keep hearing how good Dundee's squad is 'on paper' but apart from Dorrans they have no one who is good on paper. 

Or in reality. 

Good on paper, absolutely awful in real life. Some will disagree, but he is awful, offers absolutely nothing. Prancing about doing nothing, if he was a random player and not the famous Dorrans he would be getting pelters, and he’d deserve them  

He is up with Woods, Burley, Hateley and someone else as my 5 most disliked Dees. 

8 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

You keep hearing how good Dundee's squad is 'on paper' but apart from Dorrans they have no one who is good on paper. 

Or in reality. 

Has Dorrans not been very poor for them? Just because a certain player/players were good previously it doesn't mean they are still good. We've had some dumplings that fall into that category down the years ourselves 

14 minutes ago, Tap in 94 said:

Has Dorrans not been very poor for them? Just because a certain player/players were good previously it doesn't mean they are still good. We've had some dumplings that fall into that category down the years ourselves 

That's my point, according to Dundee fans they have the best squad in the league.  Dorrans, Hemmings, McGowan, Nelson. 

The former was good 10 years ago. Hemmings has done nothing since he left Dundee the first time. McGowan has never been good and no c**t has ever heard of Nelson. 

'On Paper' they've probably got 3rd best squad. In reality, the 4th or 5th.

3 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

Is it really a talented squad though? Perhaps on reputation, perhaps on wages per week but if it was that talented it'd surely have enough about it to make sure the Dunfermline keepers top goes in to this mornings' wash. 

McPake looks to have serious failings but at what point do the players take their share of responsibility?

Crankshaw when he came on was at least getting to the byline and putting in some good crosses and giving the left back something to worry about, too many senior pros just strolling about for me and making easy passes that aren't hurting the opposition. 

Toothless up front and not enough cutting edge from midfield or wide areas, prior to the Wigan boy coming on. I'd try and get Dorrans further forward, he drifted out of the game as it went on. 

And you wouldn't be rushing to describe any of the back 4 or goalie as being anything other than distinctly average either. Hamilton's confidence looks to have long deserted him. 

At one point in the 2nd half McPake was trying to bawl at Kerr, who clearly didn't have a clue what was being asked of him. All clearly not well. 

Hemmings, McGowan, Dorrans, Byrne, meekings and maybe even Callachan should be performing way above the level they displayed last night and by all accounts have been performing all season. That's down to the manager. Neither McPake nor Crawford can make his team perform above the collective level of the team and more often than not the team play below par performances.

6 minutes ago, 101 said:

Hemmings, McGowan, Dorrans, Byrne, meekings and maybe even Callachan should be performing way above the level they displayed last night and by all accounts have been performing all season. That's down to the manager. Neither McPake nor Crawford can make his team perform above the collective level of the team and more often than not the team play below par performances.

Spot on, the anger on here towards McPake is understandable but misguided as the guy should never have been in the managers position anyway, he's  been hung out to dry by Nelms as much as McPake hung out young Cameron last night.  The club is poorly run from top to bottom . Can't say too much on Stevie Crawford but he always seemed pretty capable to me

8 minutes ago, 101 said:

Its down to the manager but also the player. If the players don't pass the ball well enough or in areas that hurt the opposition that's down to the players just as much as the manager. 

Likewise for workrate, organisation and being tactically aware. 

The modern day footballer seems to have lost the ability to win games in spite of the managers effectiveness, ability or nous rather than having to rely on winning games because of it. 

Just now, ravabelli said:

Spot on, the anger on here towards McPake is understandable but misguided as the guy should never have been in the managers position anyway, he's  been hung out to dry by Nelms as much as McPake hung out young Cameron last night.  The club is poorly run from top to bottom . Can't say too much on Stevie Crawford but he always seemed pretty capable to me

I would agree appointing a coach with no first team management experience in probably the most important season seems utterly mental. Sticking with said coach seems even worse. McPake seems to lack belief in himself, he said all the usual things in his post match interview but I genuinely struggled to understand what he meant at times, he struggled to make himself understood when communicating a football match he had just watched.

As for Crawford he lurches from insane form 4/5 game wining streaks to 4/5 game losing streaks clearly he can get his team to perform when that are at their lowest but to take the club forward we need a new manager.

4 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Its down to the manager but also the player. If the players don't pass the ball well enough or in areas that hurt the opposition that's down to the players just as much as the manager. 

Likewise for workrate, organisation and being tactically aware. 

The modern day footballer seems to have lost the ability to win games in spite of the managers effectiveness, ability or nous rather than having to rely on winning games because of it. 

Yes but who in their right mind would play Hemmings as a solid striker. Everyone could see Callachan had lost his mind last night yet the manager didn't appear to do anything to calm him down. The tactics were all wrong and the players can't change that in fact I think many can't think beyond what they have been told in the dressing room.

10 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Yawn.

This is getting mighty boring now, I'm not even bothered anymore. 

He won't get the sack unless he gets charged and even then it's not a certainty.

Nelms has this long term plan of building a team from youth an inexperience in the hope we might sell a few for millions, but it's never going to work if you don't have the fans buying into it and to do that you have to have a decent first team and manager. Although on paper we have 80% of a decent team, the manager lets us down, he is waaaay out his depth. We need an old head, who will bring stability.

I know some of you will vomit in yoir mouth a little but I think the way to go is Dick Campbell, Jim Duffy or even Mark McGhee. This needs to be set up properly and not experimented with every fuckin week.

I am fuckin done this season.

80% decent? That would be good enough to win a lot of games at this level. That squad not for the first time demonstrated no ability to threaten opponents- hit and hope crosses instead of constructed attacks - and a defense that at some point will leak shit goals.  Guys like Gowser and Kerr are done as far as higher level goes, our keeper is a disaster. 

36 minutes ago, 101 said:

Callachan was miles out his depth in the top flight so I've no idea what level you're thinking he should be playing at.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Callachan was miles out his depth in the top flight so I've no idea what level you're thinking he should be playing at.

I thought he looked okay at hearts when I saw him play the games at Murray field.

28 minutes ago, 101 said:

I would agree appointing a coach with no first team management experience in probably the most important season seems utterly mental. Sticking with said coach seems even worse. McPake seems to lack belief in himself, he said all the usual things in his post match interview but I genuinely struggled to understand what he meant at times, he struggled to make himself understood when communicating a football match he had just watched.

As for Crawford he lurches from insane form 4/5 game wining streaks to 4/5 game losing streaks clearly he can get his team to perform when that are at their lowest but to take the club forward we need a new manager.

In my opinion Crawford was spot on with his post match assessment and clearly had a plan which his players stuck to.

I’ve no idea what or if we had a plan at all and McPake doesn’t really make much sense or interview well at all