All things Dundee FC

1 hour ago, RossDee01 said:

Do we know what Strachan actually does? Nelms clearly doesn’t have a clue about football. Like a poster has said, he keeps changing his criteria on what kind of manager we wanted. We went for young and unproven (McCann) when that didn’t work he said he’d created some sort of formula to arrive at the perfect manager which was apparently Jim McIntyre (fucking hell) and now he’s gone back to young and unproven which is proving to be another major calamity.

Strachan’s definitely in charge of the youth set up and is coaching the coaches at the same time about training methods/coaching/style of play. A friend at work’s son is with 1 of the under age teams. He said Strachan was behind the decision to not go for elite status in the Project Brave program recommended by Henry McLeish. Strachan apparently isn’t a fan on Project Brave and wants the youths coached as much as possible and playing in games locally. He thinks it’s far more beneficial than them sitting on a bus for 3 hours to places like Inverness and Dingwall for 80 minutes or so of football. He’s been to some major clubs around Europe looking at their programs for youth development and was citing clubs like Athletico Bilbao as they type of model who we were trying to base our youth development on. Apparently they’ve had lots of success developing their own players and concentrate heavily on the coaching aspect than dragging their players across Spain and never play the likes of Barcelona or the Madrid clubs and just play games in their local area. The guy in my work said the formation tactic he wants the youths developed 
in is 4-4-2 but it’s not ridged to only this but is his preferred formation. I was told this when we were playing 4-3-2-1 with Hemmings isolated on his own and said to the guy “great everyone else is getting coached 4-4-2 and the fuckwit manager is playing 1 up front”. The response was a bewildered shrug of the shoulders  

Don’t shoot the messenger, that was the info I was given and the guy is impressed with Strachan. 

Edited by Yenitit

11 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Strachan’s definitely in charge of the youth set up and is coaching the coaches at the same time about training methods/coaching/style of play. A friend at work’s son is with 1 of the under age teams. He said Strachan was behind the decision to not go for elite status in the Project Brave program recommended by Henry McLeish. Strachan apparently isn’t a fan on Project Brave and wants the youths coached as much as possible and playing in games locally. He thinks it’s far more beneficial than them sitting on a bus for 3 hours to places like Inverness and Dingwall for 80 minutes or so of football. He’s been to some major clubs around Europe looking at their programs for youth development and was citing clubs like Athletico Bilbao as they type of model who we were trying to base it development on. Apparently they’ve had lots of success developing their own players and concentrate heavily on the coaching aspect than dragging their players across Spain and never play the likes of Barcelona or the Madrid clubs and just play games in their local area. 

Don’t shoot the messenger, that was the info I was given and the guy is impressed with Strachan. 

Bilbao only play players of Basque origin iirc and I dont think they have ever been relegated from la Liga so there must be something in it

Strachan’s definitely in charge of the youth set up and is coaching the coaches at the same time about training methods/coaching/style of play. A friend at work’s son is with 1 of the under age teams. He said Strachan was behind the decision to not go for elite status in the Project Brave program recommended by Henry McLeish. Strachan apparently isn’t a fan on Project Brave and wants the youths coached as much as possible and playing in games locally. He thinks it’s far more beneficial than them sitting on a bus for 3 hours to places like Inverness and Dingwall for 80 minutes or so of football. He’s been to some major clubs around Europe looking at their programs for youth development and was citing clubs like Athletico Bilbao as they type of model who we were trying to base our youth development on. Apparently they’ve had lots of success developing their own players and concentrate heavily on the coaching aspect than dragging their players across Spain and never play the likes of Barcelona or the Madrid clubs and just play games in their local area. 

What level does it stop at for playing other teams ?
My mates young lad finds out this month if he is getting kept on ( I believe he will be signing an apprentice contract if he gets kept on.)
Same age as Finlay but hasnt so far made the grade. ( did play in 18s )
However he is playing here their n everywhere, all over Scotland.
He has been trained from a few coaches this season as they have chopped n changed a few times already. Mate has an issue with Smith , seems to think he is a c**t.

5 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

What level does it stop at for playing other teams ?
My mates young lad finds out this month if he is getting kept on ( I believe he will be signing an apprentice contract if he gets kept on.)
Same age as Finlay but hasnt so far made the grade. ( did play in 18s )
However he is playing here their n everywhere, all over Scotland.
He has been trained from a few coaches this season as they have chopped n changed a few times already. Mate has an issue with Smith , seems to think he is a c**t.

To be honest I don’t know the answer to that because I never asked. The guy in my work’s son is in 1 of the younger sides but I don’t want to specifically what age level, I hope that’s ok. I think the younger sides have played the odd game against Liverpool and Man City as an example. I think Liverpool was up here and Man City down there, might be wrong on that. 

To be honest I don’t know the answer to that because I never asked. The guy in my work’s son is in 1 of the younger sides but I don’t want to specifically what age level, I hope that’s ok. I think the younger sides have played the odd game against Liverpool and Man City as an example. I think Liverpool was up here and Man City down there, might be wrong on that. 
Mates young lad has been given an extended month to lose some weight ( he is in 17s)
Regarding Strachan.
For 17s he is doing quite a lot with them regarding one on one .
And I lied about the apprentice contract ( I've either made that up or been told about it before ) but they are also waiting to see if he is to get a professional contract for the under 18s.
Hes still on a pro youth contract all that means is that he cant sign for another pro club. ( which I didnt know )
Big year for mates young lad.
His ability has never been in question it's the commitment and fitness there worried about cos he dose the bare minimum.
So now say united wanted him they'd need to pay 35-40k for him cos its 5k for every year hes been at Dundee being developed.

Probably learnt more this afternoon than I've ever known
Mates dad seems to like Strachan also, some of the coaches ( smith being top of list) however he thinks are c***s.

37 minutes ago, Juantwothree said:

Bilbao only play players of Basque origin iirc and I dont think they have ever been relegated from la Liga so there must be something in it

Then it's quite simple - we only sign players born within a mile of the Hulltoon clock.

27 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Mates young lad has been given an extended month to lose some weight ( he is in 17s)
Regarding Strachan.
For 17s he is doing quite a lot with them regarding one on one .
And I lied about the apprentice contract ( I've either made that up or been told about it before ) but they are also waiting to see if he is to get a professional contract for the under 18s.
Hes still on a pro youth contract all that means is that he cant sign for another pro club. ( which I didnt know )
Big year for mates young lad.
His ability has never been in question it's the commitment and fitness there worried about cos he dose the bare minimum.
So now say united wanted him they'd need to pay 35-40k for him cos its 5k for every year hes been at Dundee being developed.

Probably learnt more this afternoon than I've ever known
Mates dad seems to like Strachan also, some of the coaches ( smith being top of list) however he thinks are c***s.

Just asked the guy in my work and he thinks the game situation is the same for every age group regarding games. Said everyone seems to be really impressed and buying into Strachan’s ideas.  The Liverpool games were also down there and both trips away were considered a success with it being a great bonding exercise for the kids at the same time. 

Will it be a success? Who knows but here hopes so!

Totally irrelevant to the topic at hand, but was reading an old Sean Higgins interview in which he said he's played/trained with the likes of Jody Morris at St Johnstone and Leigh Griffiths with us but no-one comes close to the ability GGH had.

For all his laziness/supposed attitude problems, the height of GGH's career should not have been at us or the likes of Killie or St Mirren or Oldham. 

I got the gist that McPake has pretty much confirmed without explicitly saying so that we are in for Wighton judging by his comments today.

Am I reading too much into it?

ETA: 'It was talked about in the summer as well – he’s a player I know very well but he’s a Hearts player so that’s where we are at with that one. I like good players and Craig is a good player but there is a process going on that we have been working on since the summer.  We’ll not talk about who those players are because there is a lot of them. Is Craig one of them? Maybe. But at the moment he is a Hearts player and there will be loads of interest in him I am sure.' - James McPake

Edited by Ludo*1

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I got the gist that McPake has pretty much confirmed without explicitly saying so that we are in for Wighton judging by his comments today.

Am I reading too much into it?

ETA: 'It was talked about in the summer as well – he’s a player I know very well but he’s a Hearts player so that’s where we are at with that one. I like good players and Craig is a good player but there is a process going on that we have been working on since the summer.  We’ll not talk about who those players are because there is a lot of them. Is Craig one of them? Maybe. But at the moment he is a Hearts player and there will be loads of interest in him I am sure.' - James McPake

He was on stv news tonight, fell asleep ten seconds into it with the boredom, think he was on about Wighton, couldn't be sure though.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

He was on stv news tonight, fell asleep ten seconds into it with the boredom, think he was on about Wighton, couldn't be sure though.

Thank you.

Another one of McPake's annoying traits.

His interviews are absolutely souless. I can hardly imagine him getting a team going before a match.

He wouldn't be able to motivate Granny Danger to get off his sofa for a free chinese takeaway and that really doesn't take a lot of doing.

McPake has to go. I'm sick of us accepting average pish at this club. McPakex2, Hamilton, Forster, Kerr, Mackie, Meekings and McGowan off you pop. I want the best for this club and none of these players will take us forward.

Thank you.

In reality unfortunately, it would now appear our manager James McPake is here for the foreseeable future. 

My personal opinion, like most others on here, would prefer otherwise at the moment, based upon what we have witnessed so far this season.

In fairness then two transfer windows should be more than sufficient even for John Nelms, with all due respect, to make an objective, unavoidable judgement come the summer if the current inconsistent form were to continue.  Play-offs, we may qualify, success, not a chance I fear. 

In the meantime, signing no.33 Craig Wighton must be a considerable improvement compared to some of our current options available, imho. Not as a striker either I hasten to add.

Best regards 

14 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Also apparently after O'Brien from Arbroath.

Fair fucks to McPake, he's made the defence a priority. Least he's not blind.

The club needs to write this into managers contracts, no signing players from Inverness CT or Ross County, ever. Even if Messi had a stroke and signed for ICT in a moment of stupidity, then wanted to come to Dens, we should pass. We have been badly burned by signing shite, shiter, diarrhoea, piles and warts from the Highlands, no more FFS.

Also apparently after O'Brien from Arbroath.
Fair fucks to McPake, he's made the defence a priority. Least he's not blind.

I heard a rumour that forfar wanted logan chalmers on loan from united but were told he was going to arbroath because o’brien was going to United