All things Dundee FC

5 hours ago, srw said:

This season is absolutely utterly fcked beyond belief, yet you want to allow him to fck next season as well. 

We sack him, and soon, get a competent manager in, he has the remainder of this season to get things right, and we go into next season ready. *

Not solely aimed at anyone, but continuing with an abject failure for continuity’s sake would be ridiculed in any walk of life except football. 

* Nelms would fck the next appointment up as well most likely. 

this season has been shite but you can't expect instant success we have been relegated last season, if we bring another manager in then you are also not guaranteed success, we should learn that lesson from last season when we appointed mcintyre look how that turned out. I can understand your frustration mate cause he has made some bad tactial decisions this season no getting away from it but i don't think it's right to sack him.

10 hours ago, MacArab said:

Iirc the initial advert for the job confirmed that only experienced mangers need apply.

Was utterly bemused (and delighted tbf) when Mcpake was appointed, completely contrary to this minimum requirement.

Appreciate he has been a good servant to Dundee, but there is f**k all room for sentiment in this league.....

Agree with you there.  As a United fan you will know there is no room for sentiment in football.

Look at the way your club treated Jim McLean.   At the time of winning your first trophies who would ever have thought he’d be treated the way he was by the United board after his article in his Daily Record column?  

2 hours ago, truedee93 said:

this season has been shite but you can't expect instant success we have been relegated last season, if we bring another manager in then you are also not guaranteed success, we should learn that lesson from last season when we appointed mcintyre look how that turned out. I can understand your frustration mate cause he has made some bad tactial decisions this season no getting away from it but i don't think it's right to sack him.

My worry is that in his time at the club McPake has learned from the following managers:

Hartley - sacked because he wasn’t good enough.

McCann - sacked because he wasn’t good enough.

McIntyre - sacked because he wasn’t good enough.

Was Nelms hoping McPake would learn from their mistakes?  That’s a very risky strategy.  Was the appointment for this season the time for gambling?  Not in my opinion.

I’d have preferred if Nelms had gone for an experienced manager who knows the lower leagues.

My worry is that in his time at the club McPake has learned from the following managers:
Hartley - sacked because he wasn’t good enough.
McCann - sacked because he wasn’t good enough.
McIntyre - sacked because he wasn’t good enough.
Was Nelms hoping McPake would learn from their mistakes?  That’s a very risky strategy.  Was the appointment for this season the time for gambling?  Not in my opinion.
 I’d have preferred if Nelms had gone for an experienced manager who knows the lower leagues.

Still think harsh on Hartley. First time asking he got us up and then into a top six. Lost his two main players and then couldnt find a better replacement and then it all went wrong for him.

Nelms is a c**t however

11 hours ago, truedee93 said:

I dont think sacking mcpake is the right to do, you need to remember this a whole new team and they have still not gelled together yet, okay we don't play the best of football but if you think getting a new manager in is the way forward then i disagree, let him see this season out and then let him build again in the summer when he has a base of a team to work with then add more quality, if we keep sacking managers there will just be constant overhaul of players each season i think he deserves time you can't get success overnight

I don't disagree with your point. In an idealistic world, I genuinely believe he would learn from this season and take us to a massive title push next season.

But that's not the type of club we are or can afford to be. We are spending money that should see us challenging (even if unsuccessful) Dundee United. We have players that will not be with us next season if we don't get up - Dorrans being a prime example - but at this present time we are just challenging the top 4.  It's not good enough.

Are we going to win the league? No. Are we going to finish in the top 4? Yes. 

Would that change, regardless of manager? Unlikely. So why not give McPake time to learn?

In my opinion, this season is now an absolute write off. It's seriously worrying, but there's not a lot we can do but back McPake this season.

It was a terrible appointment by Nelms and I feel sorry for McPake.

McPake is the first manager we've had since probably Barry Smith that's wanted to do well for the club. Not for his own ego (McCann), not to just use us as a stepping stone (Hartley) and not to try and gain some credibility when all looks lost (Bomber & McIntyre) so that makes it harder for me to stomach McPake getting punted - but if we don't see an improvement by the season's end, he's doing nothing to suggest he can manage this football club successfully.

The only thing I'm clinging to is that he addresses the issues we have in the next window and that sees us having a resurgence. 

2 shots on target in 2 games is embarrassing and McPake didn't look like he learnt anything from the appalling Derby.

Realise my points are a bit all over the place and at times even contradictory - just unloading my feelings about things without really sorting it through.

How come we have f**k all youth coming through?
Watching Hamilton play Rangers the now and some kid has just scored. They seem to do decent with youngsters.
Have they got a better youth set up than us ?
With investments made do we expect anyone to come through anytime soon ?
Robertson had a brief spell but it seems most youngsters we have get a few games and then usually that's it.

It’s going over old ground, let’s be honest the conversation now is pretty damn similar to McCanns time. Some seeing progress, others not. At least 90% agreed on McIntyre. 

I badly want McPake gone, said at the time it was a ridiculous appointment, and my opinion of his managerial time is lower than I thought possible. 

We really need a manager with eyes that work, McCann was a stubborn delusional arrogant little man, with anger issues and a very warped viewpoint. While McPake isn’t as bad on some points, there’s similarities on some, he also comes across as the dullest man in the world, I just can’t imagine him motivating the team. But his inability to read a game is utterly abysmal, it’s like he has never watched a game, let alone played it.

Anyway, Nelms isn’t sacking him any time soon. We have another derby in 5 weeks, unless we go on a great run until then, I dread how we approach that game, and fear the worst. 

We’ve been down many holes in the past, but right now, is the most remote I’ve felt from my club. It’s a complete clusterfck, and there are zero signs of improvement. 

I would like McPake to be a number two to someone more experienced. Strachan is a big no. He wouldn't take the job but he is clueless as they come. His answer to our problems would be have Cammy pump every tall lass in the city.

Jack took the Hibs job and there is a reason we avoid the usual suspects.

No idea what so ever going forward to be honest. Just hope for a top 4 and grit it out.

One negative point I will say is, I’ve read people on here, and other places say that it took Utd 4 seasons to build a team to win. There’s truths in that, and massive issues with what they are trying to say. It took Utd several managers, they didn’t stick with failures for the sake of it, and the vast majority of the squad is Neilson’s, not an accumulation of the last 4 years. 

Loyalty Is a fallacy, every manager and player would be off to a bigger club, a better wage packet in a minute, we don’t owe McPake anything. 

7 minutes ago, srw said:

One negative point I will say is, I’ve read people on here, and other places say that it took Utd 4 seasons to build a team to win. There’s truths in that, and massive issues with what they are trying to say. It took Utd several managers, they didn’t stick with failures for the sake of it, and the vast majority of the squad is Neilson’s, not an accumulation of the last 4 years. 

Loyalty Is a fallacy, every manager and player would be off to a bigger club, a better wage packet in a minute, we don’t owe McPake anything. 

We did to an extent. The board were guilty of hanging about when deciding to get rid of McKinnon and Laszlo, to the point that they allowed both managers a summer to build their own squad before then sacking them. It set us back each time. 

If it was me, and it isn't ideal this early into someone's tenure, you need to make a decision pretty quickly with regards to McPake. You have Queen of the South and then Arbroath, anything less than six points then you are into a run of games (Dunfermline, Partick, United, Inverness, Ayr, Dunfermline again) that could be make or break for the season. 

Yesterday’s result has quickly shifted me into the McPake out camp. Thought the international break would give him a chance to get the squad together and get them to bounce back but that clearly hasn’t happened. Wasn’t at the game but another game without scoring a goal, against a side that Arbroath put 3 past a couple of weeks ago, is worrying. Now would be the time to get rid, gives a new manager to see the squad for a couple of weeks before the January window but can’t see us doing anything until the end of the season.

I’d be tempted to go back to Hartley, although I know many won’t agree with that.

19 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:
25 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:
While I'd love to get revenge on them (dearie me) they're already out.

Ffs. Maybe one of the junior teams who went through...

I'd fancy Broxburn Athletic away for the unique nature of the tie, though I can't help but feel we'd lose that lol.

30 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Yesterday’s result has quickly shifted me into the McPake out camp. Thought the international break would give him a chance to get the squad together and get them to bounce back but that clearly hasn’t happened. Wasn’t at the game but another game without scoring a goal, against a side that Arbroath put 3 past a couple of weeks ago, is worrying. Now would be the time to get rid, gives a new manager to see the squad for a couple of weeks before the January window but can’t see us doing anything until the end of the season.

I’d be tempted to go back to Hartley, although I know many won’t agree with that.

I'd have Hartley back in a heartbeat. Last manager that I remember at least some form of entertaining football under. (Last season excepted)