All things Dundee FC

7 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Don't agree with the 'utd have bought the league, have better players etc' we  have as good a first team as them imo, it's the tactics, stupid formations, that are killing us.

Thank you.

Spot on.  

If there is anyone in doubt that is not the case just ask yourself:  

If we had Shanklands in our team and we played him up front on his own, 20-30 yards away from our next player and simply lumped the bell up to him like we do to Hemmings all game would Shanklands have scored nearly as many goals as he has for United?  I’m certain he wouldn’t have.

Very uncomfortable for me to say this but Neilson has tactically bossed McPake in both derbies and by the way I don’t think Neilson is that great a manager.

Don't agree with the 'utd have bought the league, have better players etc' we  have as good a first team as them imo, it's the tactics, stupid formations, that are killing us.
Thank you.

They have bought the league in the sense that they are spending 133% of their income on wages. It’s taken them 3 seasons to build a squad which is finally capable of getting out of the league and even still, like I’ve said they’ve had to spend farcical amounts of money on wages to do so... without Shankland they’d probably be below us in the league. We had to get rid of so much dead wood after last season debacle that it was always going to take the manager time to figure out how to get the best out of our squad, these things don’t happen overnight. Despite some people’s reactions, the results over the last few weeks would indicate that he’s finally done that. He’s a rookie manager and still making mistakes, but looks like he learned quite a bit from the Patrick Thistle game. Friday night was poor, I’m not denying that, but the buck can’t always stop with the managers. Like you did, we have good players in the team, and to put in a performance like a handful of those players did put there on Friday, especially after the 6-2, is more down to the players than the manager imo.

Why is getting to the play offs a successful season? Does anyone seriously think that a side managed by McPake will have the bottle and tactical know-how required to beat the likes of Ayr and Inverness in a two-legged tie that actually matters? Even then the likes of Hamilton would piss all over us in the final. That pathetic surrender on Friday was every bit as bad as the gutless shite under McIntyre. One fucking passback of a shot on target ffs.

Why is getting to the play offs a successful season? Does anyone seriously think that a side managed by McPake will have the bottle and tactical know-how required to beat the likes of Ayr and Inverness in a two-legged tie that actually matters? Even then the likes of Hamilton would piss all over us in the final. That pathetic surrender on Friday was every bit as bad as the gutless shite under McIntyre. One fucking passback of a shot on target ffs.

He’s unbeaten against both those sides you’ve mentioned in 4 games.

3 wins
1 draw

Let’s not let facts get in the way of a good old heads gone though.

9 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Ayr has a manager with less experience than McPake.

The playing of McPake and Mackie really piss me off. When McPake was getting a few pelters from the Dundee fans Craigan said something along the lines off they’ll be loving this at Ibrox because this is what this young man needs to toughen up and learn the man’s game. That might well be true but is coming on for us in a massive game for us the right place? Why the f**k should we afford him the opportunity. I’d far rather one of our own youngsters learned the hard way. I take on board the complete rebuilding job, in the main I think the signings have been good, we have by miles the second biggest budget in the league but we are not performing like that.

34 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Thank you.

That's it though - they've a better squad than us. We have a very decent first 11 (minus a right sided player) but outwith that? 

44 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Thank you.

United play more flowing football than us and there link up play is so much better, when our full back gets the ball it’s a hump in the channel or directly to hemmings but he has no support to work with, our defenders need to start playing through the midfield so we can run at teams then work the ball so hemmings can actually have players to link with that’s were I think we are going wrong personally.

Don't understand why he brought Mackie or McPake in.....they're not going to have a future at our club so why persist with them when players from the academy could do with getting chances in the first team?

In January we need to get a good centre half to play with McGhee, and we need to get an attacking midfielder who is quick on and off the ball. Someone who can run at defences instead of another Byrne or Ness who just passes sideways for the sake of it.

Friday proved why he needs to play Johnson with Hemmings, and why Nelson should be an impact sub. Johnson is capable of winning headers in the air and is better at getting the ball booted up to him than Kane. United's centre backs were brutal against Kane, always going in with arms and elbows, compared to Forster who was getting bullied by wee Shankland.

Thank you.

If you were to pick a team only used players from either dundee team then i reckon the majority of them would be united players

2 hours ago, Dee Man said:

I was genuinely wondering if nerves got the better of him. It'll easily be the biggest game he's played in and he was playing like his legs were jelly. There was once in front of The Derry near the corner where he looked as if he just completely lost control of his legs and hit the ball about 2 yards into no-man's land. It would actually have been funny if I'd witnessed it anywhere but that game. 

He played for Hibs this season against Rangers at Ibrox and had a mare, got sent off after 50 odd minutes. I thought if he’d played in that environment he’d cope with a crowd a quarter of the size. 

We brought in Mackie and McPake because we needed cover in those positions. They're both being fucking vilified (rightly for Mackie tbh) so in what way would playing a youth kid there and potentially ruining any chance he has at the club if he underperforms a few games do the club any good in the long run? 

As for CH, we are fine there. Maybe Meekings might recapture his form or he might retire. Absolutely nothing wrong with Forster. 

Attacking midfield we need to play Dorrans there. 

Several heads gone moments going on at once here. I feel bad for the people who can't deal with the fact that United are a more complete team, given the fact they've had longer to gel and form an identity, and have an established playing style. We need a bit more diversity no doubt, and I have a feeling we will be seeing it soon, but it's unfair to ignore all success the style of play we've played has had just because you're mad at losing the derby. 2nd place in a competitive league like this is a good achievement for a brand new team that's only just started working together.

Also, to think people still believe Forster has still been the weak link in recent weeks is laughable, he's honestly been one of our most consistent players of late. I personally don't get why McPake insists on playing Nelson and Mackie in a position a player like Todd is more suited to. Think with wee McPake leaving we could do with another experienced winger in Jan.

Would personally like to see another crack at a 442 with Johnson and Hemmings up front, but you can't deny that the 4231 had been working well until Friday,though McPake defo should've changed his style for that game.

19 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Fucking hell, can you tell it's Sunday yet? Think I'll be avoiding this today with all the negative energy.

Let's address a positive then, from our point of view anyway.

Lawrence Shankland will be gone come January.  Already Celtic, Nottingham Forest and Stoke City are on record as being in the market for a goalscorer in the transfer window.

Without forgetting United's financial meltdown of last season, some very concerned set of eyes will be firmly fixed on their current projected similar losses. Signed for nowt, he'll doubtless have inserted a release clause.

Our main concern is how to utilise best the resources we currently have and then bolster that come January. 

Best regards 

Let's address a positive then, from our point of view anyway.
Lawrence Shankland will be gone come January.  Already Celtic, Nottingham Forest and Stoke City are on record as being in the market for a goalscorer in the transfer window.
Without forgetting United's financial meltdown of last season, some very concerned set of eyes will be firmly fixed on their current projected similar losses. Signed for nowt, he'll doubtless have inserted a release clause.
Our main concern is how to utilise best the resources we currently have and then bolster that come January. 
Best regards 

“On record”. As a concerned United fan, any chance you could provide me and others with this information?

Also, I know our losses last year were significant but it is also worrying to hear of “projected similar losses”. Again, if you could forward the details of that on to us that would be appreciated.