All things Dundee FC

6 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'm away to be controversial and say, f**k the formation (Even if it is the best in terms of a points per game average) and just go baws out and play to our strengths. Defence? What is a defence?

Get something that gets as many of Hemmings, Nelson, Johnson, Dorrans, McGowan, Ness & McDaid on the pitch and in their preferred positions as possible. Go to outscored teams.

I'm going to be extremely disrespectful to the league but I'd suggest even if we were to have a bit of a mare, I can't see us finishing outside the play off spots. Our worst ever finish in Scottish football is a 6th place finish in this league with Kernaghan. Regardless of what you think about McPake's ability as a manager we have enough game winners in this squad to see us not to sink to that level.

So f**k it, let's go baws out, score more than you mentality and whilst it might result in us dropping more points than we'd like - I'd much rather we finish in the play offs having participated in exciting games week after week which were end to end than comfortably finishing in the play offs whilst grinding out results and potentially gaining 10 or so more points.

Why not? Our defence is pretty gash anyway. 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 a back 3 of Kerr, McGhee and Marshall.

I'm away to be controversial and say, f**k the formation (Even if it is the best in terms of a points per game average) and just go baws out and play to our strengths. Defence? What is a defence?
Get something that gets as many of Hemmings, Nelson, Johnson, Dorrans, McGowan, Ness & McDaid on the pitch and in their preferred positions as possible. Go to outscored teams.
I'm going to be extremely disrespectful to the league but I'd suggest even if we were to have a bit of a mare, I can't see us finishing outside the play off spots. Our worst ever finish in Scottish football is a 6th place finish in this league with Kernaghan. Regardless of what you think about McPake's ability as a manager we have enough game winners in this squad to see us not to sink to that level.
So f**k it, let's go baws out, score more than you mentality and whilst it might result in us dropping more points than we'd like - I'd much rather we finish in the play offs having participated in exciting games week after week which were end to end than comfortably finishing in the play offs whilst grinding out results and potentially gaining 10 or so more points.

Genuinely think you would be surprised by how many games you would lose

People seem to be forgetting that we were on a comfortable 3 game winning streak before we played the clear best team I the league and lost. People need to have a bit of perspective here and stop it with the knee jerk reactions.

Are we going to have to go over the “McPake Out” nonsense everyone we lose (not related to your post I know). He’s just won manager of the month ffs.

We have extremely favourable fixtures up until the new year derby and despite a fairly slow start are only 3 points off second place. If we were to finish 2nd getting us straight into the playoff semi final it’s a great season imo.

But let’s stop with the knee jerk reactions every time we have a poor result and just try and get behind the team for once. Fans can play their part as well.

We also lost at home to the bottom team just before the three game winning run, or are we just ignoring results to justify our opinions? 4 wins in the last 6 games is decent, but the Utd performance was critical, you can take getting beat, but we didn't even bother turning up.

Its not a knee jerk reaction to criticise McPake, its based on over a third of the league season, and over 20 games in total.

We also lost at home to the bottom team just before the three game winning run, or are we just ignoring results to justify our opinions? 4 wins in the last 6 games is decent, but the Utd performance was critical, you can take getting beat, but we didn't even bother turning up.
Its not a knee jerk reaction to criticise McPake, its based on over a third of the league season, and over 20 games in total.

It’s nonsense, is what it is. I’m not ignoring any results, we’re 3 points off of second place with favourable fixtures coming up in our first season after being relegated with arguably the worst Dundee squad I’ve ever witnessed. People like you seem to want automatic success which is never going to happen. United have bought the league, we were never going to be able to compete and anyone who genuinely believes we should be are delusional. We’ll finish 2nd or at worst 3rd. Calm down.

Just recovering from the shit show. I didn’t make the Aberdeen game (apparently we were good) but the only occasion I’ve thought we played half decent was Alloa away. Other than that we’ve been bang average, or shite. What we do about it I don’t know. McPake comes over as a pretty uninspiring guy, I’m surprised how little Jimmy Nicol appears to contribute but there’s no way McPake will get punted, unless the court case goes particularly badly, so we just have to suck it up.

Well done, attack the poster, not the point.

Last season is gone, McPake got to rebuild his squad entirely, so what relevance is last season exactly?

If you show where I expect to win the league, or get automatic success, I will bow.

People like you are apologists for failure, good for you.

Edited by srw

Well done, attach the poster, not the point.
Last season is gone, McPake got to rebuild his squad entirely, so what relevance is last season exactly?
If you show where I expect to win the league, or get automatic success, I will bow.
People like you are apologists for failure, good for you.

If you don’t expect us to win the league what is a successful season in your opinion?

Success this season is, promotion through the playoff, attractive cohesive football, good signings, on field and off field progress.

I do not believe that there are any signs that we are on the correct path.

Success this season is, promotion through the playoff, attractive cohesive football, good signings, on field and off field progress.
I do not believe that there are any signs that we are on the correct path.

We’re 3 points off 2nd place. Well on track for promotion through the playoffs. If you realise that winning the league is unrealistic and performance in the playoffs is how you are going to determine success then surely you have to give the manager until at least then, especially since he already has us well on track.

Unless you don't think we are on track, which is my viewpoint.

That spineless pish the other night was pathetic, if we come up against Hamilton for example, you really think we will even get close to them. We struggle to beat Championship teams, to think we get the better of a Premiership team is fanciful.

Only 1 of those games (Alloa) were with a quality of performance we should be looking for.  We’re struggling every game bar that 1 to create chances. Ayr we dug in and got 3 points after a good 1st 45 minutes. 

I really hope I’m wrong and McPake works out but he should never have got the job in the summer. 
My biggest issue is that he seems welded to this 4-5-1 - it's so clear that Nelson is really uncomfortable in the wide left role.

It also seems (bar Aberdeen and Alloa) that he is using the same tactics - we need to get more pace into our game instead of this slow slow shite. Vary the tempo.

22 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

We’re 3 points off 2nd place. Well on track for promotion through the playoffs. If you realise that winning the league is unrealistic and performance in the playoffs is how you are going to determine success then surely you have to give the manager until at least then, especially since he already has us well on track.

Surely huge worries are the style of play, lack of goals and most of all the lack of chances created. It’s taking some great finishes to see us over the line in games. McDaids 2 against Arbroath and 1 at Ayr, Hemmings header against Morton and Ness’ goal in the same game. We’re creating next to nothing in games with Hemmings isolated up front on his own. 

Edited by Yenitit

That has to be the immediate target - avoiding that extra match in the playoffs - that being said we need to be a lot more flexible in our tactics and tempo.

3 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

My biggest issue is that he seems welded to this 4-5-1 - it's so clear that Nelson is really uncomfortable in the wide left role.

It also seems (bar Aberdeen and Alloa) that he is using the same tactics - we need to get more pace into our game instead of this slow slow shite. Vary the tempo.

I was going away to say the same things about Nelson and the tempo of the game. I think the tempo has improved since Dorrans has came into the side but it’s still to laboured. As for Nelson the guy is being hung out to dry imo. He doesn’t appear to know what area of the park he should be in, especially when we don’t have the ball and looks like he’s thinking more about the defensive side of the game rather than concentrating on getting himself in the box and on the end of things. I’d rather see him tried in the middle playing off of Hemmings than as a wide player. As for Johnson he must be thinking wtf have I done wrong here. In the side, playing well, contributing to the goals and then plays about an hour of football in the last month whilst young loanees from Hibs and Rangers are getting more game time. Mackie had an absolute mare on Friday again. 

I was going away to say the same things about Nelson and the tempo of the game. I think the tempo has improved since Dorrans has came into the side but it’s still to laboured. As for Nelson the guy is being hung out to dry imo. He doesn’t appear to know what area of the park he should be in, especially when we don’t have the ball and looks like he’s thinking more about the defensive side of the game rather than concentrating on getting himself in the box and on the end of things. I’d rather see him tried in the middle playing off of Hemmings than as a wide player. As for Johnson he must be thinking wtf have I done wrong here. In the side, playing well, contributing to the goals and then plays about an hour of football in the last month whilst young loanees from Hibs and Rangers are getting more game time. Mackie had an absolute mare on Friday again. 
An unfit Marshall would be better than Mackie.

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
2 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

An unfit Marshall would be better than Mackie.

I was embarrassed for the guy the 3 times he let the ball run under his foot and out of play. Iirc we never recovered from him needlessly giving the ball away before the 1st goal and we were lucky to get away with the needless freekick right in the centre of the D in the 1st half. Hopefully Marshall’s recovered in a fortnight. 

11 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

I was embarrassed for the guy the 3 times he let the ball run under his foot and out of play. Iirc we never recovered from him needlessly giving the ball away before the 1st goal and we were lucky to get away with the needless freekick right in the centre of the D in the 1st half. Hopefully Marshall’s recovered in a fortnight. 

I was genuinely wondering if nerves got the better of him. It'll easily be the biggest game he's played in and he was playing like his legs were jelly. There was once in front of The Derry near the corner where he looked as if he just completely lost control of his legs and hit the ball about 2 yards into no-man's land. It would actually have been funny if I'd witnessed it anywhere but that game.