All things Dundee FC

17 minutes ago, Jock Tamson said:

From a Utd fan's perspective, this victory was much better in many ways. Being honest, many of us stated at the time that it was no where near a 6-2 type of game. Dundee had so many spells where they played well, had loads of possession and had a goal wrongly chalked off. Last night was nothing like that. We were in total control from start to finish. Dictated the flow and pace of the game without EVER looking in danger.A great save by your keeper,a bit of luck with Shanklands curler, and a couple of sloppy finishes meant it stayed 2 zip, but the reality is that could have easily have been another humping score wise. Benji could have sat this one out.

First half fairly even but Gowser should have buried his header so saying "without EVER looking in danger" is somewhat spurious. First goal gave you a lift and deflated us though it must be said that you had started the second half better than us. IF Gowsers header goes in it would have been a different game, as it was the better team (not by much) on the night won

The debacle last night shows how poor we are tactically, how naive, passive and frankly clueless our managerial team are. The onfield display was inept, but McPakes interview showed an absolute lack of reality from him.

We will stagger on with him at the helm, with his backers believing that he is building for next season. The reality of the situation is, we are over a third of the league season in, McPake has had 20ish games overall, and he doesn't know how to set his team up, he doesn't know how to make positive changes, whenever he changes things, they somehow get worse, the squad is unbalanced, the players look uninterested. As I said, we will stagger on, and we will be saying the exact same stuff in 12 months time. Whoever comes down from the Premiership, probably St Mirren at a guess, will fight like hell, and we wont lay a finger on them.

Backing a manager is absolutely what we should do, we have failed to fully do this correctly since Hartley. However you only back someone who shows signs of being the correct man, and McPake isn't even close to being the correct man. McCann was a clusterfvck, McIntyre was doomed to failure, but McPake makes them look capable.

When we appointed McPake, we took the easiest, cheapest, most pathetic route possible, we went for the guy who was in the building. There is absolutely no way that he was the best candidate, he shouldnt even have been on the 16th A4 page of candidates names. 

Aside from the totally inept tactical formation (for this game anyway) and generally unacceptable footballing display last night, what about the minute's silence debacle!

Disgraceful from areas of both sides, is it really so difficult for these "people" to grasp a sense of decency?  

Best regards

Having three decent strikers and only playing one of them grates with me. Imagine if Bob Shankly had played Alan Gizean and left Andy Penman and Alan Cousin on the bench. Imagine if Davie White had played Gordon Wallace and left Jocky Scott and John Duncan on the bench. Imagine if Jocky had played Tommy Coyne and left Keith Wright and Graham Harvey on the bench.

I don't care how he does it but McPake has to find a formation that accommodates two strikers.

The debacle last night shows how poor we are tactically, how naive, passive and frankly clueless our managerial team are. The onfield display was inept, but McPakes interview showed an absolute lack of reality from him.
We will stagger on with him at the helm, with his backers believing that he is building for next season. The reality of the situation is, we are over a third of the league season in, McPake has had 20ish games overall, and he doesn't know how to set his team up, he doesn't know how to make positive changes, whenever he changes things, they somehow get worse, the squad is unbalanced, the players look uninterested. As I said, we will stagger on, and we will be saying the exact same stuff in 12 months time. Whoever comes down from the Premiership, probably St Mirren at a guess, will fight like hell, and we wont lay a finger on them.
Backing a manager is absolutely what we should do, we have failed to fully do this correctly since Hartley. However you only back someone who shows signs of being the correct man, and McPake isn't even close to being the correct man. McCann was a clusterfvck, McIntyre was doomed to failure, but McPake makes them look capable.
When we appointed McPake, we took the easiest, cheapest, most pathetic route possible, we went for the guy who was in the building. There is absolutely no way that he was the best candidate, he shouldnt even have been on the 16th A4 page of candidates names. 
Pretty much this. There's little question that McPake and the previous two managers are among the most inept we've had since the dark days of Kernaghan. The consistent thread here is Nelms. He took too long to bin Hartley, virtually begged McCann to come after he'd initially been turned down, then appointed the universally unpopular McIntyre and somehow failed to understand why the fans would be opposed to employing his assistant who'd voted to shut the club down.

McPake was a half decent player for us, but in what fucking world does appointing a guy who'd done a bit of work with the youngsters equate to the correct type of appointment to get us out of a notoriously difficult division?

Nelms is completely and utterly out of his depth in terms of the football side.

Genuine question.  Does anyone think there was any other team hoping to employ McPake as their manager just before we did?

I personally don’t think there was but somehow Nelms thought he’d played a master stroke with the appointment of McPake.  

The appointment of McPake had more to do with the fact that Nelms took the easy, cheap option over any footballing / managerial considerations for the situation we found ourselves in.  

12 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Nelms is completely and utterly out of his depth in terms of the football side.

He is, but he controls with an iron rod, he is a dictator at the club, and takes advice from no one.

Changes at senior level show this quite clearly, we have are being run by an out of control idiot, who knows nothing about football. He may be a decent businessman, but he clearly lacks any knowledge of fitba, which is kinda important. 

Nelms record on signing managers:

McCann - a pundit who had no managerial experience.

McIntyre - a manager who had been out of work for a year who had an assistant manager that would never be accepted by the support.

McPake - a youth coach with no managerial experience.

I wonder what Nelms thinks about his ability to spot managerial talent?

Call me old fashioned but next time why not look for a manager that has experience and would be a good fit at the club.  I don’t want to narrow the search criteria down too much but the next manager should also have recently managed St Mirren and Sunderland 😂

Genuine question.  Does anyone think there was any other team hoping to employ McPake as their manager just before we did?
 I personally don’t think there was but somehow Nelms thought he’d played a master stroke with the appointment of McPake.  
The appointment of McPake had more to do with the fact that Nelms took the easy, cheap option over any footballing / managerial considerations for the situation we found ourselves in.  

The thread through all this is these disastrous appointments and the amount that has to be spent cleaning them up afterwards until the process starts again.
Someone posted a stat last year saying we were paying or had paid off about 20 players who would still have been theoretically under contract.
At the same time the figure at Kilmarnock was 2.
Maybe something will click with McPake but his post match comments smack of self delusion, I'd much rather he admitted we had no idea how to break down United and that, more importantly they have arrived at a system which allows their quality players to influence the game.
Our supposed quality is being failed by the system and rendered useless.
Hope he turns it round, but if he doesn't, and we keep repeating the process by which we've arrived at our recent managers things will continue to get worse.

From a Utd fan's perspective, this victory was much better in many ways. Being honest, many of us stated at the time that it was no where near a 6-2 type of game. Dundee had so many spells where they played well, had loads of possession and had a goal wrongly chalked off. Last night was nothing like that. We were in total control from start to finish. Dictated the flow and pace of the game without EVER looking in danger.A great save by your keeper,a bit of luck with Shanklands curler, and a couple of sloppy finishes meant it stayed 2 zip, but the reality is that could have easily have been another humping score wise. Benji could have sat this one out.

I wouldn't say from start to finish - I don't think either team did at all well in the first half.

Second half - yep - absolutely.

5 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Good results all round today.

Yup, shame we have to deal with Arbroath being so close by but worth it to stay above ICT. Despite yesterday's disappointment, I remain confident in progressing upwards so long as everyone around us keep their shitty form up.

Tin hat on...get Levein in. Went pare shaped at Hearts this season but he knows what he’s doing. Hopefully  Jimmy Nicholl heads to Stoke as O’Neil’s assistant and we can get someone else in as manager with McPake being offered the assistant’s job. 

1 minute ago, Yenitit said:

Tin hat on...get Levein in. Went pare shaped at Hearts this season but he knows what he’s doing. Hopefully  Jimmy Nicholl heads to Stoke as O’Neil’s assistant and we can get someone else in as manager with McPake being offered the assistant’s job. 

Nurse... I genuinely hope you're not being serious, it's like you want us in the seaside leagues.

49 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

It's a no from me.

Image result for Rolf harris"

Thank you.

I wouldn't say from start to finish - I don't think either team did at all well in the first half. 
Second half - yep - absolutely.

Agree with that. First half verged on turgid. Zero quality on the park. Nervy, anxious, all the cliches.

United turned it up a notch in the second, daft foul for the pen. Then seconds after you withdrew McGowan (I’d have taken off Nelson) United go & score, aforementioned Nelson giving up possession in a key area.

Game was gone there, and United looked comfortable from then on. United weren’t brilliant but they didn’t have to be, imo.