All things Dundee FC

He played decent, I'll give him that. 
Decent for one half. 
Hardly outstanding or a brilliant player. 
Of course folk will get carried away after beating your city rivals but dearie me. He'd be one of the first players dropped when you go up - or you won't stay up long. 

Butcher would be absolutely fine in the premier league

1 hour ago, Dele said:

He played decent, I'll give him that. 

Decent for one half. 

Hardly outstanding or a brilliant player. 

Of course folk will get carried away after beating your city rivals but dearie me. He'd be one of the first players dropped when you go up - or you won't stay up long. 

He was an acceptable player in a Utd team that finished 5th in 14/15. If we've ambitions beyond the bottom 6 I'd want an upgrade but he's a player who is continually underrated by opposition fans. "Outstanding" "brilliant" etc. are all relative terms, clearly in the wider context he isn't anything more than an average professional football player but I wouldn't swap him for any other player in the league we're in.

McPake saying in his post match interview “TWO INDIVIDUAL ERRORS COST US AND IT COST US THE GAME”.

Even his own players will not believe that is what cost us the game when they read it, so he can’t be saying it to lift the squad.  Once again there was a massive gulf between United and us.  Plain for everyone to see.

If McPake genuinely believes that is what cost us the game he is either in denial, delusional or can’t read a game of football. 

I know many on here will disagree but I’m afraid I don’t believe McPake has what it takes to be a good manager.  

First half was a complete non-event, apart from Mackie showing newly-found depths of ineptitude in controlling the ball...

McPake was right to say that two stupid mistakes led to their goals, but we created absolutely nothing of any note at all going forward. For a team with Dorrans, Hemmings, McDaid, Nelson, McGowan, Josh McPake and Johnston on the pitch at various times, that is absolutely unforgivable at this level. Would only have given pass marks to Kerr last night and Hazard looked much better than Hamilton (not difficult, obviously).

What the actual f**k is Jimmy Nicholl bringing to this shitshow? Surely he should be giving some kind of advice, either during matches or during training, but there seem to be no ideas at all coming from the dugout. We were so ponderous in the buildup all night. I have no problem with keeping possession and trying to pick out a pass or wait for the opposition to over-commit and exploit the space behind them, but we seem to have no compulsion to move forward with any kind of pace (except snail's pace, I suppose), even when 2 down with 15 minutes to play. 

Someone tweeted that supporting Dundee is like having a girlfriend that constantly cheats on you, but you can't let go of her. True dat (as the cool kids apparently say nowadays.)

Just now, Dele said:

Depends on what you'd class as a "good manager" tbh.

I think a “good manager” is one that can bring out the best in players he has at his disposal, fashion a team that can regularly create chances and perhaps most importantly change things for the better as the game progresses. 

I’m afraid I don’t see these skills shining through with McPake.

Absolutely pathetic game of football.
Atmosphere was shite, as was the whole occassion.
Worst derby I've seen in my life.
United edge it due to mistakes. Our fault, I have no complaints.
Thank you.

Quite a fair assessment. Our team just didn’t create anything. United the better team and strolled it tbh. We’ll likely finish top 4 and I’m quite looking forward to the playoff experience. A top 4 finish and at least one derby win will do me for this season [emoji120]

Absolutely pathetic game of football.
Atmosphere was shite, as was the whole occassion.
Worst derby I've seen in my life.
United edge it due to mistakes. Our fault, I have no complaints.
Thank you.
Edge it? Hilarious.

It was a bigger tanking than the 6-2 massacre. Total dominance.

3 minutes ago, Jock Tamson said:

Edge it? Hilarious.

It was a bigger tanking than the 6-2 massacre. Total dominance.

Sorry, but that is crap. Dundee were garbage, but United weren't exactly Brazil 1970. If that game had finished 0-0, no-one would have been claiming the DABS had been robbed. However, it was what it was, but that description is not accurate at all.

Sorry, but that is crap. Dundee were garbage, but United weren't exactly Brazil 1970. If that game had finished 0-0, no-one would have been claiming the DABS had been robbed. However, it was what it was, but that description is not accurate at all.
From a Utd fan's perspective, this victory was much better in many ways. Being honest, many of us stated at the time that it was no where near a 6-2 type of game. Dundee had so many spells where they played well, had loads of possession and had a goal wrongly chalked off. Last night was nothing like that. We were in total control from start to finish. Dictated the flow and pace of the game without EVER looking in danger.A great save by your keeper,a bit of luck with Shanklands curler, and a couple of sloppy finishes meant it stayed 2 zip, but the reality is that could have easily have been another humping score wise. Benji could have sat this one out.

From a Utd fan's perspective, this victory was much better in many ways. Being honest, many of us stated at the time that it was no where near a 6-2 type of game. Dundee had so many spells where they played well, had loads of possession and had a goal wrongly chalked off. Last night was nothing like that. We were in total control from start to finish. Dictated the flow and pace of the game without EVER looking in danger.A great save by your keeper,a bit of luck with Shanklands curler, and a couple of sloppy finishes meant it stayed 2 zip, but the reality is that could have easily have been another humping score wise. Benji could have sat this one out.

So basically if you scored with every shot? Have a day off ffs.

This is still a relatively new team under a rookie manager. It looked like we were getting somewhere with the style of football recently but last night just showed that against better teams it just isn't going to work, so hardly a foundation for future progress. I know what McPake said last night but I don't think he wont learn from it. Time to ditch the 451 - we have to get our best players on the park so I'm going to discount a 352 as bringing in Meekings and dropping another of our midfielders is not going to allow us to dominate or press the opposition which, if you are looking for victories against teams coming to defend, isn't the way forward. Dorrans is a fabulous footballer but we have to give him the right structure around him. 442 - this didn't work well at the beginning of the season when the players hardly knew each other and pre Dorrans, but it should surely be given another go now. Midfield of Dorrans (floating role), McDaid (switching wings as he feels will reap most rewards) with a solid central 2 from Ness, Gowser or Byrne. 2 up front will allow Hemmings a bit more room with Johnson or Nelson (who clearly isn't comfortable on the wing).  

Is it really bad that I just want this season to end now because it's not going to get any better. United will whitewash us this season without doubt and I cant see us finishing 4th never mind 2nd. Poor decision making from the board for appointing not just mcpake but McIntyre and McCann before him, it's been an absolute disaster since 2/5/16.