All things Dundee FC

Actually, I’ve had to think pretty hard but I think I’ve found one bright point: and that’s our goalkeeping situation.

I’m much more relaxed with Hazard between the sticks. If we’d played with Hamilton, I think it would have been a lot worse. Not that he had much to do, but you can see the defence are more comfortable, particularly with crosses and free kicks.

Thank you.

3 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Maybe go and tell that to the folk in your own thread who are hailing that performance then?

Ach, folk are entitled to be happy after an easy derby win. Hyperbole takes over sometimes. Let them enjoy their night. I thought we were quite good over the piece, particularly after going ahead. Outstanding not required. Quite good more than good enough. 

9 minutes ago, ravabelli said:

Surely though that’s down to the manager and the players he brought in to his squad? It has been poor all season and doesn’t seem to be improving, the pieces of quality in the team have just got us by in some games and covered up the cracks a bit. This is a poor league in terms of quality and for the money we’ve obviously spent I’m expecting a bit more, regardless of it being a new team or not considering the opposition 

Fair enough, I wouldn't really argue with anything there. I think the cracks are a bit bigger than is being acknowledged though, and I'm just of the opinion that it's not particularly realistic to expect them all to be sorted in one window, and a brand new side to come out of the gates firing on all cylinders. We have just won three in a row though, so that surely does count as an improvement on what we were watching in August and September?

Just now, Pull My Strings said:

Ach, folk are entitled to be happy after an easy derby win. Hyperbole takes over sometimes. Let them enjoy their night. I thought we were quite good over the piece, particularly after going ahead. Outstanding not required. Quite good more than good enough. 

Ok, can you mibbe ask a few folk in here to calm doon then?:lol:

3 minutes ago, LiamDFC said:

Actually, I’ve had to think pretty hard but I think I’ve found one bright point: and that’s our goalkeeping situation.

I’m much more relaxed with Hazard between the sticks. If we’d played with Hamilton, I think it would have been a lot worse. Not that he had much to do, but you can see the defence are more comfortable, particularly with crosses and free kicks.

Thank you.

What a brilliant save he pulled off towards the end btw.

McPake got his tactics all wrong tonight. It has worked relatively well against the smaller teams, but in a Derby you have to go ba's oot.

The high balls up to Hemmings are fine if you have someone to pick up the second ball but we were sitting far too deep to do this, which in turn put pressure on ourselves and if you do that as well as make mistakes in poor passing then it only leads to one thing.

He clearly learned from the first Derby but not enough, I hope just to see another improvement in the next one.

No point calling for McPake to get sacked this season, in the boardroom's eyes he is doing well enough and will be with us for the rest of it.

He is improving though, that is clear to see. 

On to the next match then.....

44 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

McPake got his tactics all wrong tonight. It has worked relatively well against the smaller teams, but in a Derby you have to go ba's oot.

The high balls up to Hemmings are fine if you have someone to pick up the second ball but we were sitting far too deep to do this, which in turn put pressure on ourselves and if you do that as well as make mistakes in poor passing then it only leads to one thing.

He clearly learned from the first Derby but not enough, I hope just to see another improvement in the next one.

No point calling for McPake to get sacked this season, in the boardroom's eyes he is doing well enough and will be with us for the rest of it.

Anybody seriously yelling for McPake to be sacked once again for losing to the best team in the league after winning 3 games in a row is a roaster of the highest order. We move on.

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

Best post of the night.

For a little perspective - there are United fans lauding their performance and calling some players performances 'outstanding'. 
I think I'm just about done with football if that's what's being championed. Aye, they won. f**k me they were terrible too though. 

First half they were nae great. But neither team was. That is sometimes what happens in a derby. Second half i thought united played really well. Dominated the midfield and looked comfortable in defence. Shankland was able to have a bit more influence. Could they play better? Yes. However to day they were terrible it is a bit of a disservice. Shankland is also clearly a cut above.

Dundee’s issue is that they hammered long balls up to hemmings the whole game and didnt support him. He actually did well to bring it down a couple of times but had no support. Mcgowan was meant to be supporting him bur offered nothing. You had two midfielders in dorrans and byrne who want to sit deep so therefore united were able to press you. Yoir whole midfield was lacking to be honest. United also have two more attacking full backs who started to push on in the second half and dealt with your wingers fairly comfortably. Their wingers pushed your full backs back and didnt allow them to attack. Cammy kerr did well but appere kept him busy. Mackie didnt look great but then mcmullan didnt have much influence on the game. Not sure whether that was down to mackie though

For all dorrans is a good player, your whole midfield was dominated by Calum Butcher.

Three good strikers we have, time to start using two of them together. Two mistakes the difference between the teams. 

You had two of them on together at the end and it made no difference.

It really wasnt. United were far superior to dundee in every department and you are kidding yourself if you believe they only won due to two mistakes. They didnt really need to get out of third gear to look comfortable

Time to close the doors. Apparently Butcher is a 'brilliant player'. We've absolutely fucked it if that's what we've brought on. :lol:

It’s either that Butcher is a far better player than many give credit for, or Byrne, McGowan and Dorrans are all guff. Personally I think it’s the first thing.

1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

It’s either that Butcher is a far better player than many give credit for, or Byrne, McGowan and Dorrans are all guff. Personally I think it’s the first thing.

He played decent, I'll give him that. 

Decent for one half. 

Hardly outstanding or a brilliant player. 

Of course folk will get carried away after beating your city rivals but dearie me. He'd be one of the first players dropped when you go up - or you won't stay up long.