All things Dundee FC

imo mcpake needs the whole season. need to give him a chance to get it right on the pitch. no point sacking him after 3 months of the season. if he doesn’t get us in play offs at end of season then have another look at it. i know everyone will not agree with this but it’s only my opinion.

2 hours ago, Crawford said:

Same as the Cox but I really don't get this booing while we are in possession pish coming from the Cox and Derry.

It's putting unnecessary pressure on the players to make a daft pass. They are professionals and believe it or not, probably know how to play football better than the boo boys.

Because it's ineffective and infuriating to watch. Whenever Dundee get possession they completely slow the game down and give the opposition a chance to get their defence in shape, it's one of the reasons the team looks so toothless up front.

1 hour ago, EpicMike said:

Because it's ineffective and infuriating to watch. Whenever Dundee get possession they completely slow the game down and give the opposition a chance to get their defence in shape, it's one of the reasons the team looks so toothless up front.

They want the ball in the back of that net just as much as we do.

Thing is, even if we are passing it around slowly, the other team can't score and then they get frustrated and make mistakes. 

Point being we shouldn't be the ones getting pissy in possession. It should be the other team and their fans.

We ripped the piss out of thistle in the first half but I didn't hear them booing when we or they had the ball.

Reckon we have some of the worst fans in Scottish football. Surprised the left side of the Cox didn't boo Mags goal.

4 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

I can appreciate both sides of the argument, but I agree with others who reckon he's not good enough. Your mewling about managers not given a chance? We give managers plenty of time here, also you're moaning about fans moaning? There was nothing but positivity in the Derry on Saturday, until the arse collapse.

Thank you.

You’re spot on about the Derry on Saturday biggie. When the filth went 3 down and we’d lost control of the game because of the manager’s decision making the Derry got right behind the side trying to encourage them on, in what would’ve been a big 3 points. 

Hopefully McPake’s getting the riot act read to him this afternoon by Mr Nelms. 

3 hours ago, Ylf said:

imo mcpake needs the whole season. need to give him a chance to get it right on the pitch. no point sacking him after 3 months of the season. if he doesn’t get us in play offs at end of season then have another look at it. i know everyone will not agree with this but it’s only my opinion.

Can we afford to give him that chance? 

1 hour ago, EpicMike said:

That’s it in a nutshell. Improved since Dorrans has started tho. Gowser’s the biggest culprit. What should be done in 1 or 2 touches he takes 4 or 5. 

5 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Must be wondering how he's not in the first team.

Him and Nelson should be starting ahead of Hemmings right now.

I would love nothing more than Kane to bang them in, but he's had plenty of game time by now to find his old form.

1 hour ago, Crawford said:

Him and Nelson should be starting ahead of Hemmings right now.

I would love nothing more than Kane to bang them in, but he's had plenty of game time by now to find his old form.

Maybe running about on his own up front has something to do with it?

6 hours ago, Crawford said:

Thing is, even if we are passing it around slowly, the other team can't score and then they get frustrated and make mistakes. 

Point being we shouldn't be the ones getting pissy in possession. It should be the other team and their fans.

We ripped the piss out of thistle in the first half but I didn't hear them booing when we or they had the ball.

Reckon we have some of the worst fans in Scottish football. Surprised the left side of the Cox didn't boo Mags goal.

Your first point about passing it around slowly is spot on............if you have quality players that rarely make mistakes.  We don’t have that luxury.   We are more likely to make mistakes than open up a team with slow passing.  In any case you have to take a chance with passes at some point.  Better to do it when the opposing team is out of position than once they have had a chance to regroup IMO.

If what happened first half is “ripping the piss“ out of the team at the bottom of the league I am not looking forward to when we have a bad or even average half against a semi decent team.

We are way too slow and ponderous in possession and had been for a very, very long time.

10 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Maybe running about on his own up front has something to do with it?

Correct Biggie.  It also doesn’t help that Hemings has to try and anticipate what McDaid is going to do next.  Given that McDaid just seems to make it up as he goes along how is he meant to do that?

If you have a look at Hemings off the ball he is still making the runs and pointing where he wants the ball but is not receiving any decent service on a regular basis.  We are however passing the ball about slowly at the back if that’s any consolation! 😡

20 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Correct Biggie.  It also doesn’t help that Hemings has to try and anticipate what McDaid is going to do next.  Given that McDaid just seems to make it up as he goes along how is he meant to do that?

If you have a look at Hemings off the ball he is still making the runs and pointing where he wants the ball but is not receiving any decent service on a regular basis.  We are however passing the ball about slowly at the back if that’s any consolation! 😡

There was a moment on Saturday where McDaid made a good wee run on goal and Hemmings was a couple of strides ahead, clearly waiting for a lay-off. Instead, McDaid wanted to try himself and it got deflected out for the corner. Hemmings then argued briefly with McDaid about not passing to him. While imo I would've preferred Hemmings let McDaid have a clearer shot by not running in front of him, I get his frustration at consistently running promising lines and not receiving the ball. I do feel for him, he's trying his ass off to get off the mark imo, but it's just not happening. That's partly why I want 2 up front.

We played with two up front against QoS and got completely overrun in midfield. I wasn't until we took Nelson off and went with five in the middle we actually fought our way into that match.

I think a big part of our problem is that we don't have the flexibility in the squad to adapt to circumstance, and that we simply don't have players that compliment each other in such a way that we can build an effective tactic and style around them.

For example, on saturday, we're trying to cling on to a 1-0 at home against a desperate team. You can make the point that perhaps we should have been home and dry before then, and that's fine, but lets deal in reality for a moment. Once that game had turned, and Thistle have us back on our heels, bringing on a 16 year old and a 17 year old and expecting them to grit it out and see us home is just ridiculous. That's not a knock on either of those two players as individuals, they both have their place, but that's simply not a job for schoolboys, not in this league, so you can hardly be surprised when the roof caves in as a result.

We don't have a complimentary midfield, and there's no sign of any sort of complimentary partnership developing up front either. We don't have any flexibility, or the depth to alter things and adapt to match circumstances as they develop. Saturday showed that in abundance.

Edited by Boo Khaki