All things Dundee FC

12 minutes ago, MarbellaDEE said:

This is a crucial season for us, as everyone knows, the longer you spend down here the harder it is to get out. I think we need to cut our losses and get the right man in to at least get the best out of the seemingly talented players that we have at our disposal. United have shown fragility in recent weeks, with the right man in charge getting the best out of the players we have, I don’t see any reason why we can’t give it a go this year. It doesn’t look like anyone is going to run away with it but the longer this is allowed to continue the harder it will be for us to remain in touch with United and whoever else. It is imperative that we do something different, the repercussions of doing nothing can potentially haunt us for several years to come. There can be no loyalties here and as much as I want McPake to succeed, he is simply out of his depth.

Thank you 

Spot on. My worry at the moment isn’t necessarily staying in touch with Utd, in this league you can easily be dragged down the bottom as anyone can beat anyone on their day and we’ve hardly looked streets ahead of any team we’ve played 

The midfield was our strongest line today and it got ripped apart by taking off two of them before we capitulated. Byrne and Gowser were instrumental in some great football as well as breaking up some Partick moves so it was hardly surprising we shat the bed the way we did. Hemmings and McDaid should have been off before either of those two. Ridiculous decisions. 

Some of that football was a joy to watch in the first half but if you're going to undo it with ludicrous substitutions like that then you have what's coming to you. 

Some thoughts on your team today:

Forster is an absolute haddy. Seemed more interested in playing the hardman then actually doing his job. I seem to remember him being the same at Hibs.

Dorrans clearly still has a touch of class and a great range of passing but I thought the game passed him by a lot and he can’t really cover the ground anymore. I’d expect a hell of a lot more from a guy of his calibre.

Hemmings looked an absolute shadow of the player I remember from a few years ago. Has he been like that since he returned?

2 minutes ago, VladimirMooc said:

Some thoughts on your team today:

Forster is an absolute haddy. Seemed more interested in playing the hardman then actually doing his job. I seem to remember him being the same at Hibs.

Dorrans clearly still has a touch of class and a great range of passing but I thought the game passed him by a lot and he can’t really cover the ground anymore. I’d expect a hell of a lot more from a guy of his calibre.

Hemmings looked an absolute shadow of the player I remember from a few years ago. Has he been like that since he returned?

Hemmings is playing in a formation that doesn't suit him, he's still class, you're right on the first two points.

Thank you.

40 minutes ago, ravabelli said:

Can’t see him being sacked any time soon as it reflects badly on the man who appointed him and hilights his deficiencies

I suspect if poor results continue and  Nelms has plans to get rid of McPake, he'll wait until the court case in the hope he'll be found guilty and he'll be able to get rid for free, depending on the terms of his contract. 

I also suspect that the court case will be next year though and it may be too late by then.

One quarter of the season completed, 12 points obtained from a possible 27, negative goal difference and only 4 points above bottom of the league.

This could and should have been another "Carlsberg Weekend", the Dabs absolutely humiliated this time, my good lady's Mighty Potters win again and we should be sitting 3 points off the summit.

Afraid to say this, however we possess three great strikers for this level and only play one from three at any time. Absolute nonsense, what does that say about our confidence in the defence, not a lot. Marshall's performance today was shocking imo and I cannot even find the words regarding Forster, especially after his header back of a Thistle corner right across our own goalmouth! Also send the lad from Hibs back again, we are not a nursery club for sub-standard players, why on earth should this be tolerated?

This brings me to our manager, not good enough so far, tactically inept at best. Good lad James McPake, however another lazy appointment it would also appear to be.

I, like many others in the South Enclosure, applauded Gary Harkins entering the field today at 1-0, however after the third Partick goal, like many others, I didn't see him leave.

Best regards    

This was the run of games where we would really be found out. Forget the top of table stuff with the DABS.  Alloa, Morton, QoS, Arbroath and Thistle. Classic bread and butter league matches and overall we have completely fucked it. Two wins from the lot and an utter joke of an ending to defeat with Thistle.  We should be playing for 3rd at least with these kind of matches instead we are outside the top 4 after it all.

That kind of ending is down to a coach and how he closes out a game. It's all well and fine him saying we need to hold people accountable. That's just coach speak blah. We absolutely fucked a game we should have won.

Friday night game away at Ayr. Right now it looks horrible.

I am not one for calling for managers heads, especially this early into their reign, with new players needing time to gel etc.... However;

McPake is clearly out his depth. Not only with his ridiculous substitutions and formation experiments on the pitch, but you are also going to get discontent with players on the bench wanting away. Johnson and Nelson must be fuming to be on a bench behind a striker that has scored 1 goal and had 0 assists. Hemmings needs dropped. 

With the wonderful distribution we get from Dorrans and the work rate from Gowser, playing another hard worker in Nelson and a poacher in Johnson could only have a positive outcome.

Meekings and Forster win headers and clear the ball, but that is it. Their distribution is woeful, so why do we insist on playing it out from the back? 

I can't see him getting punted this season no matter how bad we play, I do think Nicholl and WGS need to step in though and at least point him in the right direction.

4 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Meekings and Forster win headers and clear the ball, but that is it. Their distribution is woeful, so why do we insist on playing it out from the back?

This is a big problem for me. Teams know we have good players on the ball in midfield like Dorrans and McGowan so are happy to let diddies like Forster and Meekings  fanny about on the ball all day. How many times did Forster have the ball at his feet in fairly advanced areas and waste it? I will tell you - a fucking lot! We are crying out for a centre back that is comfortable on the ball and can link with our midfield.

2 minutes ago, Chewing Taffies said:

This is a big problem for me. Teams know we have good players on the ball in midfield like Dorrans and McGowan so are happy to let diddies like Forster and Meekings  fanny about on the ball all day. How many times did Forster have the ball at his feet in fairly advanced areas and waste it? I will tell you - a fucking lot! We are crying out for a centre back that is comfortable on the ball and can link with our midfield.

I know, no point in having a midfield if they are just going to punt it out towards the corner fleg.

1 minute ago, johnnydun said:

I know, no point in having a midfield if they are just going to punt it out towards the corner fleg.

Dorrans and Gowser controlled the game first 30 mins or so and it was all Dundee. Cancel them out and leave Forster on the ball at the back - that's when you are fucked. You have to give credit to McCall as he made 2 changes at half time. McPake doesn't have a plan B.

2 minutes ago, Chewing Taffies said:

Dorrans and Gowser controlled the game first 30 mins or so and it was all Dundee. Cancel them out and leave Forster on the ball at the back - that's when you are fucked. You have to give credit to McCall as he made 2 changes at half time. McPake doesn't have a plan B.

Does he have a plan A?

Our next manager cant have any links with us. Im sick of starting to dislike people that I used to like, McCann was one of my favourite players when I was a bairn, but now, I cant stand him, I don't want McPake going the same way.

Also, no Ross County, ICT or Dabs links either please.

1 minute ago, srw said:

Our next manager cant have any links with us. Im sick of starting to dislike people that I used to like, McCann was one of my favourite players when I was a bairn, but now, I cant stand him, I don't want McPake going the same way.

Also, no Ross County, ICT or Dabs links either please.

Only one man I'd wanna see in the position instead now...

Image result for jack ross reaction

Kane Hemmings has the ability as we all know and thankfully the work rate is always there, however I can't help but think on his own he's pissing in the wind against two or more centre-backs.

If at all times he had alongside him the threat of either Johnson or Nelson as an effective foil we would see him back again as a consistently lethal striker, especially at this level. 

We are in my opinion wasting some very effective assets sitting on the bench and as suspect as the defence can be, if we could actually put some games to bed when we should, opposition heads then go down and any potential outcomes like today are averted.

Best regards  

Oh dear.

I’m really starting to wonder why I bother travelling through to Dens every other week to watch this garbage.

The first half was much better than the Arbroath game — Dorrans and Gowser were bossing the midfield. Even Byrne looked a big improvement. Partick looked completely finished, players picking up yellows and generally miles off the pace. We missed a good opportunity to double our lead before the break. Oh well, I thought. See the game out, I thought.

But, once again, I hadn’t accounted for the James ‘tactical genius’ McPake factor.

F*ck knows what he said to them at half time, but it must have been along the lines of, ‘here c***s; let’s just stop trying. Like, zero fucking effort. Let’s all stroll around like the game is over and I’ll sub off random players, replacing them with children, throwing them into a random formation just to see if we can still beat the worst team in the league (on points)’.

Total trash. Not one to call for anyones head, but the McPake appointment was ridiculous from day one.

Some tough decisions need to be made.

Thank you.

Edited by LiamDFC