All things Dundee FC

I don’t think Byrne has shown much so far. Couldn’t make the game today owing to a family commitment but -

Byrne played 32 games for Livi last season. A team that ripped us a new arsehole in MacIntyre’s first game, and generally did brilliantly all season. Not one of their fans has been anything other than extremely complimentary about him.

Let’s at least be accurate!!

25 minutes ago, LM_0803 said:

P&B crashed when I was composing my last reply. So far imo McPake hasn't delivered good football, which is hard when you have Meekings, Forster and Hamilton in your defence, or results so far. He is the one that sets the team up, and picks the players. It must have been him that told the centre backs to pass it back and forth between themselves just for the sake of it. Byrne is just a headless chicken imo, runs about and doesn't get involved much in the game. He isn't a creative player, or a defensive one, and i can see why he couldn't get a game for Livi last year. Mackie rubbish today. Enough said about him.

Only positive was that we didn't concede, McDaid took his goals well and Dorrans looks like a great signing.

Result masked the performance today. Don't think that it didn't. Game was wrapped up at 2-0 on the hour but we didn't have a shot after that for 30 minutes.

Just because we "dominated" doesn't mean we actually did anything useful with the ball. Just passed it around for the sake of it.

I really am struggling to understand your point of view, no disrespect. I'll try to run it down point by point.

I don't know what you mean by 'good football'. If by good you mean consistent, then I'd agree and continue to believe that it'll get better with time. If by good you mean pretty, I'll flip my lid. Makes me think of United fans after winning 5 of 6 wanting Neilson gone for not playing 'eye-pleasing football'. The players are at this level for a reason, that being they are players with talent and ability, but not necessarily finesse. It's rarely going to be easy on the eye, and teams need to dig for a win.

I think you're way off the mark regarding Forster, Meekings and especially Hamilton. I think they did a solid job today, and generally the decisions that had many whiners in the Cox on their feet were smart ones. As for the passing from the back, not only was it key to building up play and slowing Arbroath's attempts to establish a quick, counter-attacking tempo, but you'd be the first to moan if the defenders were just lobbing it aimlessly up the pitch.

I'm not Byrne's biggest fan so far, feel he's been far too anonymous too many times in games, and tbh I prefer Robertson in his role, but it's hard to find things he does wrong. The man did his job amicably today, which is to act as a holding pin between the defense and midfield. His style of play is simple and effective. I thought Mackie was fine today, I'd agree he didn't really add all that much but he certainly wasn't "rubbish". Would much prefer wee McPake or Todd in that role myself though.

Are you just mad we didn't score more? Trust me, I wish we were more efficient going forward too, but the fact was that we were up by 2, we weren't really being threatened and we had the majority of possession in the final 30 minutes. We weren't in a situation where we desperately needed more goals, and could afford to take it easy. I was extremely relaxed in the last 20 or so minutes because I knew the team were confident and the win was in the bag. I consider that a pretty good performance in my book tbh.

21 minutes ago, LM_0803 said:

So if we conceded from that chance in the box when the defence doesn't deal with it properly, and Hamilton stays rooted on his line, would you not be annoyed aswell if he didn't come for the ball when it was 5 yards away? Players make bad decisions all the time, we know that, but we can surely get on at him when he doesn't bother coming out to collect a cross from 5 yards out that could well end up being a goal for Arbroath.

...but we didn't concede from that chance... because the defense and goalie communicated efficiently and resulted in a simple goal kick for us. Sure, I would've been pissed off if they had miscommunicated and led to a goal, but they didn't. When you're going into "What if..." territory I think you need to pack it in. Hamilton did his job well today, as did the defense, and we got a relatively simple clean sheet.

I hate arguing with my fellow Dees, but I cannot abide this attitude. You can't take anything in this league for granted, and when the team actually performs and does their job well they still get pelters, it pisses me off greatly. Again, no disrespect, but I just don't get what you're on about or what you want/expect from the team at this stage.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

5 minutes ago, LM_0803 said:

Happy that we actually won a football match but we were dreadful. Would want to be entertained when I pay hundreds of pounds a year to watch my team, but that's too hard to ask.

Oh, so it is the 'pretty football' argument?

f**k off then.

My expectations of these professional footballers who are able to think for themselves in games must be too high then..... we're not going to be playing consistent football or pretty football at all this season. Agreed robertson over Byrne. He's anonymous in every game so far. Doesn't offer anything going forward. Not convinced at all.

Regardless of where he plays and what his role is he should be mobile enough to actually have an impact on the play in games, and not just fill a position on the pitch.

Could tell that the fans were getting pissed off at the slow build up play, especially in the first half at 0-0. Don't think any of you Would've been happy seeing that until McDaid scored. Forster and Meekings, whenever they chose not to play quick passes into midfield or to play the ball to Hemmings to his feet or through to him on goal, would always punt it up to him, with no hope of him winnings headers against their CBs.

No imagination in the team at all, and no-one trying anything different. No quick free kicks to unsettle them or to do anything that was different to what they were told to do before the game. Sometimes thinking outside the box can have a positive effect.

Only reason all of you aren't agreeing with me is the result. If we'd have drawn or lost the game today you lot would be tearing them apart one at a time.

Even if we did win you can't say it wasn't hard to watch for the majority.

8 minutes ago, LM_0803 said:

I can only speak from my perspective, and once we scored the first goal I rarely found the game hard to watch. I thought our 2nd half was possibly the best half we've had in this league so far in terms of playing comfortably above the level of our opponents, but clearly you disagree.

As we're beginning to go over the same ground again and again, let's just agree to disagree and be happy we got a win. Have a good night.

2 minutes ago, LM_0803 said:

With all due respect, and I do respect all of our fellow Dark Blue views and opinions.

However, we are now plying our trade in the Championship for a reason. Namely, Neil McCann, followed by the Dim McIntyre experience. Complete and utter destruction on all levels. 

We can only strive to improve, this will take time, imho. 

Best regards

38 minutes ago, LM_0803 said:

No imagination in the team at all, and no-one trying anything different. No quick free kicks 

They were trying quick free kicks the whole game, also it's Dundee you're watching m8 not fucking Bayern Munich.

Thank you.

Plenty of imagination at the 2nd goal. 

Agree about the slow build up play but that’s slowly improving with the likes of Dorrans in the side who’s 1st thought when in possession is to pass forward. Hopefully that rubs off on a few others with Gowser being the biggest culprit. 

Today was the best defensive performance since the Aberdeen game with the much maligned Meekings and Forster paired together. A big difference was the lack of needless freekicks given away around the penalty area. I’d be sticking with that back 4 just now. I’ve no gripes with Byrne. He’s been played out of position most weeks when Robertson is in the side but I think he gets about the pitch breaking up play, is comfortable in possession and looks to get on the ball as well.  

The keeper continues to give me the fear because he simply doesn’t command his area leaving the centrehalfs with too much to do at times. 

Today was as comfortable a win as we are going to see with double the possession and attempts at goal as our opponents. Yeah I want to see 2 strikers on the park and attacking players playing in the advanced roles rather than a fullback but we won and that’ll do me as the final outcome every week. 

Edited by Yenitit

Thought we looked good yesterday.

Dorrans miles ahead of everyone on the pitch. There was a great moment when two Arbroath player launched themselves at the ball for a header and missed it. Dorrans just took a wee side step and the ball landed at his feet. Brilliant.  Just hope he can stay fit. 

If Hemmings finds form we could do very well this year. Think we have looked decent and McPake starting to find his best starting 11. 

Still need a goalkeeper-  Hamilton creates panic at the back and everytime a cross goes he stays rooted to his line.  Can we win the league with him in goal ...not so sure. 

So if we conceded from that chance in the box when the defence doesn't deal with it properly, and Hamilton stays rooted on his line, would you not be annoyed aswell if he didn't come for the ball when it was 5 yards away? Players make bad decisions all the time, we know that, but we can surely get on at him when he doesn't bother coming out to collect a cross from 5 yards out that could well end up being a goal for Arbroath.

Be annoyed yeh but balling and shouting at players when mistakes are made doesn’t help one bit, we’re Dundee not Barcelona we can’t afford mistake free players so encourage rather than get on there backs.

12 hours ago, Fifespud said:

I don’t think Byrne has shown much so far. Couldn’t make the game today owing to a family commitment but -

Byrne played 32 games for Livi last season. A team that ripped us a new arsehole in MacIntyre’s first game, and generally did brilliantly all season. Not one of their fans has been anything other than extremely complimentary about him.

Let’s at least be accurate!!

I've been one of his biggest critics however I thought he made a decent contribution today and he obviously prefers playing in the centre of midfield. Hope his injury isn't as bad as it first looked

Vital 3 points for sure. Nice to be back in the top 4 as well. The Cox is toxic for sure and honestly, would rather we played in front of the shankly in the first half.

Quite worrying how quick the side closest to the main stand start booking and howling. There's being displeased and then there's being a twat.

Meekings needs to wind his neck right in as every cock up at the back he was gundering at Hamilton, who might I add, put in probably his best shift in goal.

Hemmings was making constant cock ups and needs to start shooting or be replaced by Johnson or Nelson. We all know he has oodles of talent and can bang them away but for some reason he is refusing to shoot and looking for those passes that are ending up snuffed out.

Forster got a lot of shit at the back and for passing forward too, but again he put in an excellent shift bar one at the back where he got bundled over but was covered by Hamilton.

Overall that was probably the most important 3 points so far. Arbroath are direct competition to us and our top 4 hopes.

8 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

The gaffer and the White Cafu on the bench for us against Lochee United in Greg Kirk's testimonial. Hope they both get a good run out today in dark blue, will be neat to see McPake in the home kit.

He was club model before manager.