All things Dundee FC

14 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Just zero tempo, zero movement and very little will to win in that side. Player for player it's probably the strongest we've been since Hartley revamped us, but the performances are utterly horrendous. 

I'd never be in favour of punting McPake this season, but he needs someone to help him fix things on the attacking side. Himself, Mackay and Nicholl are all defenders. Perhaps more worryingly is that those 3 can't seem to sort how soft we are at the back either.

On the plus side, Dorrans will make a difference when fully up to speed, that much was clear for the first 35 minutes or so but we have very, very little creativity to do more than slink into the play-off spots.

That bloke Strachan used to be a pretty decent forward in his day.  If only McPake would have a regular chat with him.

Dorrans will make a difference but we only have him for one season, with no chance of his signing on for longer.   

Just to be clear.  I’m not demanding McPake is punted.  There is no point as this will not happen.  I’ve already accepted McPake will be here for the rest of the season and at least half of next season.

ETA: if McPake did get sacked I’ve absolutely no confidence in Nelms appointing the correct replacement!

Edited by Shadow Play

Ok so ngl, the stats man in me decided to compare the beginning of this season with the beginning of our title winning season in 2014 just to see how we were doing then. Funnily enough, up until tonight we were at the same pace, 8 pts in 6 games. This time that season, we followed up with a 4-game winning streak. I hoped things would click tonight, but clearly not. I'm so frustrated tonight in particular because Idk how you fix this. I continue to hope things will gel and confidence will increase, but every week I go in expecting a disappointing performance and receive a disappointing performance. All I can do is hope for more against Arbroath, but right now I'm really doubting our lads, which I hate to do.

1 minute ago, Shadow Play said:

Sorry guys. I know it’s still early in the season but I’m now absolutely convinced that McPake is not up to it.  How can he have Nelson, Johnson and Hemmings at his disposal and not work out a system to give them regular chances in front of goal?  It’s not just one or two games this has happened.  Just about every game has been the same. 

Agree totally, tonight was as disappointing as it was actually desperate. We have players at our disposal who should be capable of operating at this level.

Fecking get it sorted McPake or accept the forthcoming inevitable outcome probably before Christmas if this continues, imho. 

Players are already here to make an impression on this Donald Duck league, make it so, swiftly losing patience.

Best regards   

I can see there being an utterly horrific atmosphere next week. Not helped by the fact that Arbroath are probably the best they've been in my lifetime, but they'll still be seen as just Arbroath. Could turn nasty very early.

2 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Ok so ngl, the stats man in me decided to compare the beginning of this season with the beginning of our title winning season in 2014 just to see how we were doing then. Funnily enough, up until tonight we were at the same pace, 8 pts in 6 games. This time that season, we followed up with a 4-game winning streak. I hoped things would click tonight, but clearly not. I'm so frustrated tonight in particular because Idk how you fix this. I continue to hope things will gel and confidence will increase, but every week I go in expecting a disappointing performance and receive a disappointing performance. All I can do is hope for more against Arbroath, but right now I'm really doubting our lads, which I hate to do.

This is supposed to be our winning streak. That's the problem.  Alloa, Morton, QoS, Thistle, Arbroath before an away game at Ayr. 4 points from a possible 9 so far.

It's a very workman like team. No flair at all and a dodgy back 4.

Kerr looks like a guy that has no real understanding how to play his position. The drop off from him is astonishing.

As for Forster, he is an utter cart horse (apologies to cart horses).  Awful player.

Would you swap Forster with Kusunga, Gadzhalov, Gomis, Konrad or Julen? Perhaps Gomis aside it's not even a contest. He's so bad.

Gadz would be our best CH by a distance right now. And remember Konrad used to get slaughtered?! He wouldn't work alongside McGhee but I can't think of as good a CH since.

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

Would you swap Forster with Kusunga, Gadzhalov, Gomis, Konrad or Julen? Perhaps Gomis aside it's not even a contest. He's so bad.

Gadz would be our best CH by a distance right now. And remember Konrad used to get slaughtered?! He wouldn't work alongside McGhee but I can't think of as good a CH since.

I liked big Tam. I miss big Tam.

2 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Dare I say it, 

Hemmings offers nothing just now. He should be 3rd choice.

There, I've said it.

He has a few great touches, but he's nothing without service. In a team that can create a few penalty box chances, he's the first name on the team sheet, but when you're relying on players to create something out of nothing? Johnson and Nelson are superior.

1 minute ago, johnnydun said:

Dare I say it, 

Hemmings offers nothing just now. He should be 3rd choice.

There, I've said it.

Tbf, I was watching him quite closely tonight and you could see how frustrated he was time and time again at the awful service he got. I can't think of many great opportunities he's had to score from so far this season. The same goes for all of our strikers really. We've not exactly been missing sitters.

Our full backs put in more crosses than our wingers. Our wingers don't seem to run at players in or around the box. I'd be interested to see stats on our touches in the box, we seem to be scared to go near it. None of our play happens there and we just expect a 30/40yd ball up to our strikers to be the killer pass. It's not going to work like that. So rigid, so inexpressive.

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

He has a few great touches, but he's nothing without service. In a team that can create a few penalty box chances, he's the first name on the team sheet, but when you're relying on players to create something out of nothing? Johnson and Nelson are superior.

Exactly right Ludo. However, we did create more tonight (not much mind you) and he was not in any position to receive it, when he did it was well wide.

Well aff it imo.

1 minute ago, RawB93 said:

Tbf, I was watching him quite closely tonight and you could see how frustrated he was time and time again at the awful service he got. I can't think of many great opportunities he's had to score from so far this season. The same goes for all of our strikers really. We've not exactly been missing sitters.

Our full backs put in more crosses than our wingers. Our wingers don't seem to run at players in or around the box. I'd be interested to see stats on our touches in the box, we seem to be scared to go near it. None of our play happens there and we just expect a 30/40yd ball up to our strikers to be the killer pass. It's not going to work like that. So rigid, so inexpressive.

Kerr, Marshall and McDaid can't cross a ball worth a f**k. I totally agree that the service was still quite poor but his positioning left a lot to be desired.

Kerr needs dropped, I like the lad but his defending and playing it out is awful just now.