All things Dundee FC

35 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Dangerous to except any level of pish tho. The worst we should find acceptable is reaching the playoff final. We’re now 11 games in and regardless the amount of new signings we should be seeing an improvement. 

Be interesting to see how it develops now he has his own man Dorrans in the pack, ie someone close and trusted to him.

Hopefully keep the more wayward characters in the squad focused in the task in hand and actually appreciate the profession they have chosen.

All we can realistically expect and demand is a constant improvement amid the learning curve, even when losing the odd game.

Agree with Yenitit though, the play-offs are a must and Strachan should be sought for input and feedback.

Best regards

We never would have got relegated with McCann in charge. 
Wtf? I know McIntyre was diabolical but McCann's efforts were appalling and he would most certainly have overseen relegation had he not been binned.

The biggest problem here is Nelms. He's out of his depth imo.

We never would have got relegated with McCann in charge. 

I agree but that’s more down to how bad Hamilton and St Mirren were last season. Although I could see what McCann was trying to do unfortunately he doesn’t have the personality to be a a manger and long term it would never have worked anyway.

You might not all agree (hell, I know many won't agree but whatever), but I'm personally giving McPake at least until the turn of the New Year to have us at least in a play-off position. Anything worse than 4th by then and I'll really start to consider at all wanting him rid. The dude's new at it and needs to be given time to improve.

Its always funny seeing the happy clappers attacking anyone with a less than rosey viewpoint. 

Maybe if we didn't allow Hartleys final year, McCanns entire misery and McIntyres dismal period, we wouldn't be in the Championship struggling to beat Alloa at home.

The happy clappers were all convinced that McCann was so close to getting it right, well that worked out great didn't it.

So how many games should a new manager be given to transform an entire team? We’re 6 league games in and by your own admission you’re close to calling for his head, so 7 games is it? There’s a difference between a happy clapper and a realist. If you’re expecting miracles after 7 league games then that’s one of the most deluded viewpoints I’ve ever seen.

You might not all agree (hell, I know many won't agree but whatever), but I'm personally giving McPake at least until the turn of the New Year to have us at least in a play-off position. Anything worse than 4th by then and I'll really start to consider at all wanting him rid. The dude's new at it and needs to be given time to improve.

The minimum he should be given is a full season. I know the board will give him that, but unfortunately we have too many unrealistic fans, some of whom already want him binned. It’s a wonder why we keep going round in circles when the only solution for some is to replace the manager which means replacing the whole team every 6 months. That shit doesn’t work. It’s time to trust a manager and give him time and this is the perfect opportunity to do so.

3 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

So how many games should a new manager be given to transform an entire team? We’re 6 league games in and by your own admission you’re close to calling for his head, so 7 games is it? There’s a difference between a happy clapper and a realist. If you’re expecting miracles after 7 league games then that’s one of the most deluded viewpoints I’ve ever seen.

You think McCann would have avoided relegation, thats deluded beyond belief.

Im a realist, and see no signs of positivity so far.

You see roses in everything.

Just now, srw said:

Just out of curiosity, what needs to happen before you can enjoy any amount of positivity?

That’s my opinion, yes and neither of us will ever know if it’s true. You’re the biggest doom merchant on here by a long shot. You’ve still not answered my question though, how many games does a manger get?

1 minute ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Just out of curiosity, what needs to happen before you can enjoy any amount of positivity?

Signs of progress is all I ask for.

I read people talking up recent games, and thats nonsense.

We lack basics like commitment and effort, let alone tactical nouse. Any neutral looking at our games would be shocked, I think some Dees are blinded by club bias.

Want a real laugh?

I was born in December 1965. I am told that the first thing I watched on TV was Celtic winning the European Cup in 67, and so enthused was I by this that I became a Celtic supporter, much to my staunch Dundee supporting dad's horror.

Every time Dundee played Celtic after that it seemed Dundee pumped them, the more Dundee won, the more my dad was on at me to support Dundee. My Dad's team. My hometown team. The team that always pumped Celtic - after which my dad would wind me up until the next time Dundee pumped them.

My last day as a Celtic fan was the day of the 1973 League Cup final when, as always - and as my Dad foretold to my sorry 7 year old ass, Celtic got pumped by Dundee, who won the League Cup.

"Son, you should really support Dundee you know."

"Okay Dad."

So went the conversation.

The day after Dundee won The League Cup.

Surely not - no Dundee fan alive has ever seen Dundee lift silverware - according to the Perth wanks.

1 minute ago, RossDee01 said:

That’s my opinion, yes and neither of us will ever know if it’s true. You’re the biggest doom merchant on here by a long shot. You’ve still not answered my question though, how many games does a manger get?

Its nice that you've analysed every member and I win, thanks.

Its a rolling answer, maybe another 1, maybe another dozen. How long does Heckingbottom or Levein get, it depends on several factors, theres no single correct answer.

If there are real signs behind the scenes that Jazzer knows what he’s doing then he should be given time. If, behind the scenes, he appears woefully out of his depth then the sooner he’s culled the better. Unfortunately our main man, Nelms, wouldn’t know the difference. There’s not a chance McPake is getting sacked before March, no matter what happens, so there’s no point falling out about it. Just sit back and ‘enjoy’ the ride.

All this talk of how shite we are has reminded me of a debate held previously on either this forum or Twitter when we were in the Premiership.

The question was would you accept relegation if it meant Dundee winning either of the major cups in the same season?

The majority answered that they would rather stay in the Premiership and not win the cup.

I did and still do find this baffling. Supporting a team outside of the Old Firm means you won’t see your team win the league. In my lifetime the only success we’ve had has been promotions to the Premiership. I would happily spend the next ten years in this league if it meant winning the Scottish Cup. After all, who’s going to tell their grandkids about the time we finished 9th?

What are your opinions? Have they changed?

1 minute ago, Father Dougal McGuire said:

All this talk of how shite we are has reminded me of a debate held previously on either this forum or Twitter when we were in the Premiership.

The question was would you accept relegation if it meant Dundee winning either of the major cups in the same season?

The majority answered that they would rather stay in the Premiership and not win the cup.

I did and still do find this baffling. Supporting a team outside of the Old Firm means you won’t see your team win the league. In my lifetime the only success we’ve had has been promotions to the Premiership. I would happily spend the next ten years in this league if it meant winning the Scottish Cup. After all, who’s going to tell their grandkids about the time we finished 9th?

What are your opinions? Have they changed?

Would easily stay in the Championship for a few more years to see us win the Scottish Cup.