All things Dundee FC

Most unusually after yesterday’s defeat I felt surprisingly upbeat. The performance was very good, although I didn’t think Aberdeen looked like Aberdeen until extra time, and even then we could have sneaked an equaliser.
For most of the ninety minutes we were balanced as a side, motivated as a team and committed as players. Like a few on here Hamilton at last showed there was a goalie in there; Foster too dominated and executed a superb goal line clearance. Our fullbacks too looked comfortable, but the strength was midfield. Todd, Ness, Byrne and Robertson bossed the Dons. The effort from Mc Daid too was pleasing and if he does that every week we’ll get more openings. I though Johnson was great. He bosses the £10000m rated McKenna and got very little from the ref given the fouling he received.
So well done McPake there.
Alas, The substitutes-Meekings and McGowan didn’t work. I understand why they were made but why change your shape when you are doing ok? Don’t fix It if it’s not broken.
I like McGowan- his passion his commitment, his creativity but there are three big weaknesses In his game : he can’t shoot; he can’t tackle and with his turning on the ball he often loses it and commits a foul. I hate to think how many goals he’s cost us through his fouling or losing possession. Yesterday was one case again. So for me I hope his appearances are limited this season as the midfield looked much more balanced and forward thinking without him for most of yesterday’s game.

33 minutes ago, Chateau Lafite said:

Most unusually after yesterday’s defeat I felt surprisingly upbeat. The performance was very good, although I didn’t think Aberdeen looked like Aberdeen until extra time, and even then we could have sneaked an equaliser.
For most of the ninety minutes we were balanced as a side, motivated as a team and committed as players. Like a few on here Hamilton at last showed there was a goalie in there; Foster too dominated and executed a superb goal line clearance. Our fullbacks too looked comfortable, but the strength was midfield. Todd, Ness, Byrne and Robertson bossed the Dons. The effort from Mc Daid too was pleasing and if he does that every week we’ll get more openings. I though Johnson was great. He bosses the £10000m rated McKenna and got very little from the ref given the fouling he received.
So well done McPake there.
Alas, The substitutes-Meekings and McGowan didn’t work. I understand why they were made but why change your shape when you are doing ok? Don’t fix It if it’s not broken.
I like McGowan- his passion his commitment, his creativity but there are three big weaknesses In his game : he can’t shoot; he can’t tackle and with his turning on the ball he often loses it and commits a foul. I hate to think how many goals he’s cost us through his fouling or losing possession. Yesterday was one case again. So for me I hope his appearances are limited this season as the midfield looked much more balanced and forward thinking without him for most of yesterday’s game.

McGowan has some inbuilt mechanism that tells him as soon as he has possession that he must turn a full 360 if a marker is on him.  Immediately holds up any push forward, allows the defender to really close him down and then leads to a square pass or a pass backwards.  When he actually runs at people good things happen but he just can't seem to stop his normal style.

7 hours ago, rainbowrising said:

McGowan has some inbuilt mechanism that tells him as soon as he has possession that he must turn a full 360 if a marker is on him.  Immediately holds up any push forward, allows the defender to really close him down and then leads to a square pass or a pass backwards.  When he actually runs at people good things happen but he just can't seem to stop his normal style.

McGowan is slow at running - fact.  The pirouette that he does is often because the opposition player is about to catch up with him.  

12 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

McGowan is slow at running - fact.  The pirouette that he does is often because the opposition player is about to catch up with him.  

Is it like a speed up in a computer game then?

Stopping and spinning when someone is about to catch up with you is interesting.

11 minutes ago, srw said:

Is it like a speed up in a computer game then?

Stopping and spinning when someone is about to catch up with you is interesting.

😂 Not quite but it does ensure that he keeps himself between the ball and the opposition player, making any tackle more difficult.  

I’ve long been of the opinion that these pirouettes slow down any counter attack, allowing the opposition to regroup.

Derby tickets on sale Wednesday at 10am.
Edit - some important information for anyone taking a friend or family member who is a wheelchair user at the bottom.
Screenshot_20190819_163914_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.0fdc683324412c0d08a325c964a39242.jpg

is this a general sale? or season ticket holders first ? (should be )

Does anyone know how many away tickets have actually been allocated? I'm not familiar enough with Tannadice to work it out just based on the names of the stands.

I'm trying to work out if it's worth me trying to take Monday morning off work so's I can stand around in a rainy queue.

1 minute ago, Meadow_Jock said:

Does anyone know how many away tickets have actually been allocated? I'm not familiar enough with Tannadice to work it out just based on the names of the stands.

I'm trying to work out if it's worth me trying to take Monday morning off work so's I can stand around in a rainy queue.

I would doubt it. Leave it to Sunday night, I'm sure there will be a ticket update before general sale and if there are some, that headache you had all Friday was the start of the flu 👍

And pick me up 2 please mate! [emoji6]