All things Dundee FC

The game totally changed in our favour when we started getting the ball forward quicker when Todd came on instead of the slow build up play (fannying about with it between midfield and defence) for the 1st hour. 
Impressed with McDaid today, some shift he put in. Good to see the Derry notice this and give the guy the plaudits he deserved and hopefully the penny drops straight away with him that that’s what we’re looking for. 
Ness has to play centre midfield where he ended the game. McPake’s got a tough decision to make picking 2 from  the 4 of Robertson, Ness, Byrne and Gowser. 

Totally agree with this. Ness can be the creative player we need but he needs to play further forward. Even left wing (or right) where Harkins was so effective for a while.

39 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I wasn’t planning on buying a season ticket this year as I think I will miss a few matches.  

I intended to just buy tickets for today’s match but as I stood in the queue today I remembered that to support Dundee - well, the pleasure the privilege is mine.

F63047F3-46AC-47DE-917A-941415B69DB3.jpeg

Indeed, There Is a Light That Never Goes Out,  kindred spirit Shadow my man.

He knows so much about these things.

Best regards

I thought we just about deserved to win today, although clearly some work still needs doing on the system. In the first half there was no width at all, and it was difficult to see what the plan was, other than maybe "have two better, more expensive strikers than the other team".

Now, having two better, more expensive strikers than the other team will probably be enough on plenty of occasions this season, but some further tweaks are needed if this team is really going to click into top gear.

Once the subs came on, things improved significantly, and after Nelson appeared there was only going to be one winner. It was good to see another strong finish from the side.

McCall afterwards sounded absolutely bealing re. the penalty shout in the first half. I was too far away to see it clearly, but I have to say I looked straight to the ref and was relieved to see him doing nowt. 

5 minutes ago, Meadow_Jock said:

Oh, and the Derry was a good place to be today. Very enjoyable. Some sound punters, and a good noise generated from time to time as well.

Not the best aesthetically looking stand but creates a great atmosphere inside it. The Derry Tsunami is sadly missing these days tho 😂

Just now, RossBFaeDundee said:

Just curious, how many of these links (King aside obvs) exist outside this forum?

They're on our social media pages and the other forums. I expect Speroni and Hendry to just be Dee fans wishful thinking, but the fact they're even being spoken about is exciting.

Arvid Schenk has officially retired:

'After leaving Dundee at the age of 27, I knew that my professional career was over. I have deliberately decided against professional sports and amateur life to tackle the career after the career. Of course, I would have liked to play until the age of 35 or 40, but I probably was not that good. In addition, my body was already in its early 20s like that of a significant older goalkeeper. So that was probably my biological career end and I accepted that. And look back proudly.'

Sorry for the multiple posts in succession - Nottingham Post saying that Hemmings was on around £2000 per week at Notts County and they've added a 'significant' sell on fee should we sell him.

I thought we just about deserved to win today, although clearly some work still needs doing on the system. In the first half there was no width at all, and it was difficult to see what the plan was, other than maybe "have two better, more expensive strikers than the other team".
Now, having two better, more expensive strikers than the other team will probably be enough on plenty of occasions this season, but some further tweaks are needed if this team is really going to click into top gear.

I noticed that when we were knocking the ball around, Ayr had 6 across the back with a another two in front of them. Kane did well at times to be strong and create some space for himself but we really need some creativity from the midfield and get the ball forward quicker.

Firstly a good 3 points, Ayr still look fairly decent and could have got something from the game. It’s still early days and as per with Dundee another season and another team getting to know one another but I’m unconvinced as yet with the defending, we’re opened up too easily, wing backs suspect and Forster seems to be the type of defender who’s either far too tight to his man or miles away from him! 

Midfield......ponderous is the word I’d use, neat at times but a definite lack of pace, urgency and width and imo this needs addressed if we’re to get the best from a pretty decent strike force and push for a play off spot at worst 

Still need to strengthen the squad but it has to be in the right areas and not just bodies for bodies sake. McPake is still very much learning the job and hopefully he’ll have seen the errors of our previous inexperienced managers and not fall into that trap, time will tell 

I noticed that when we were knocking the ball around, Ayr had 6 across the back with a another two in front of them. Kane did well at times to be strong and create some space for himself but we really need some creativity from the midfield and get the ball forward quicker.

Agreed; a midfielder who can see the space to set up hemmings and he’ll do the rest thats all i remember from his first blessing in our lives.

Given the state we were in at May this year - and the work still needing done - to be down 2-0 and get a point and to win a tight game against a decent Ayr team are things the previous group would never have achieved.  I still dont feel we quite have a league winning squad yet but we are playing as a team for 90i minutes. We can only look to get better and better.