All things Dundee FC

Just back home! Fucking driech night that has been. We were far from appalling, the result was more to do with how good Cove are. I’m guessing they will get promoted again this season. They’re miles better than Brechin that’s for sure. Plusses for evening were another clean sheet, the centre halves are a lot better than we had last year, and I also thought Byrne had a pretty decent game. The big minus was the injury to Ness. He was clearly in pain and limping down the tunnel. Nothing broken I’d say and hope fully more precautionary than anything more serious because he looks like our most vital player. It was at the far end but Curran blasted one over when it looked easier to score and Nelson had 3 when he looked clean through and through a mixture of taking the wrong option and a very pacy defender they came to nought. Young Mulligan had a very impressive 1/2 hour, like Jessie Curran but with with more ability. He can play a regular contributor this season easily although he did manage to miss the goal completely with a header, totally unmarked, from 4 yards when it looked easier to score. I haven’t been impressed with McDaid at all so far - neither had the 8 year old standing next to me who at one corner shouted straight in Declan’s ear - just try to put in a decent ball this time. Lol.
IMG_4658.thumb.jpg.fd3b617fda0ea1ff3da3fd38aefd9bfb.jpg

Also thought young Robertson was good as well. Looks very composed on the ball

Miserable day and a miserable game but credit to Cove, they look very streetwise and organised, they'll be a nightmare for other teams in League 2 and judging from that performance should finish comfortably in the top half of the league.

Dundee are needing more of a spark upfront, either a creative midfielder who can conjure up chances or a physical striker who can brute force his way through defences. Cove showed today that if you keep Nelson quiet Dundee don't have much threat up front.

McDaid has put in 2 decent crosses in the games I’ve seen him, against Blackpool and Raith. And they were both in the Blackpool game. Looks like a bit of a sand dancer to me but we shall see.

McDaid has put in 2 decent crosses in the games I’ve seen him, against Blackpool and Raith. And they were both in the Blackpool game. Looks like a bit of a sand dancer to me but we shall see.

That’s the word, sand dancer, in fact - words.

Ach I’m not getting too carried away with last night. It was their ‘cup final’ to an extent. A miserable evening and other than a wee spell towards the end of the first half, we kept going. Nobody really knows how good Cove are. They’ve won the Highland League 3 out of the last 4 years, they’re a bloody good side, used to winning. Also we should know by now that these results are the very nature of this revamped cup.

We’re a completely new team - only 4 players on the park (outfield) played for us last season and 2 of those only for a dozen games.

I’m very frustrated with the lack of signings but in the grand scheme of things, waiting to get the right guys, rather than recklessly signing up any old shite, is the way forward.

9 hours ago, The Algebraist said:

We clearly need a body or two still but anyone in a stooshie over this is as daft as anyone getting a Championship winners tattoo after watching us pump Raith. If it's going to be done right it will take time.

Screenshot_20190718_081306_com.android.chrome.jpg

Last night shows we are well short of numbers and experience imo. Desperately needing at least two strikers and a creative midfielder that can see a pass because at the moment we don't have that. Imo it would be worth trying Todd at no10 against peterhead 

12 hours ago, NEFarab said:

0-0 against a team who’ve never played an SPFL game before, you moron.

People in glass houses and all that, pal. For a supporter of a team that has languished in the Championship for a number of years, recently played in a jersey with jobby sleeves and failed to progress beyond the second round of the League Cup for the past 2 years, you'd be best advised to keep shtum.

While we're on the subject of the League Cup, didn't you fail to get out of a group with the mighty Arbroath, Alloa and Elgin last year?

Most Dundee fans would quite happily tell you that we're a few players short of a full squad and, while last night's result wasn't great, at least it wasn't a defeat which it almost certainly would have been under McCann or McIntyre. 

Edited by Thomohawk
2 x "with" in second sentence. Disgraceful lack of review.

I can’t be the only one concerned that our solution to ramp up our forward line is Stevie May , a man who hasn’t scored more than 5 goals in the past 4 seasons , with 2 of those seasons being 30+ games at a strong Aberdeen side where he will have nothing but chances the whole game, he’d be a decent squad player to have but would I pay what would be a massive chunk of the budget for an at best squad player the answer for me is a resounding no, people are only going with it because Curran isn’t a goal scorer and we will be lucky to have nelson play every week , surely there are cheaper and better out there

3 minutes ago, D TOTAL said:

I can’t be the only one concerned that our solution to ramp up our forward line is Stevie May , a man who hasn’t scored more than 5 goals in the past 4 seasons , with 2 of those seasons being 30+ games at a strong Aberdeen side where he will have nothing but chances the whole game, he’d be a decent squad player to have but would I pay what would be a massive chunk of the budget for an at best squad player the answer for me is a resounding no, people are only going with it because Curran isn’t a goal scorer and we will be lucky to have nelson play every week , surely there are cheaper and better out there

tbf i'm sure we're looking at more than Stevie May. I'm kinda done speculating and am just waiting for any scrap of info to show up. I think Jazza's signings have been pretty good so far, so I'm putting my trust into him to know where to look for players, particularly strikers.

We shouldn't of let Kenny Miller go - especially to a direct competitor.

Doesn't matter if he wanted to or not, it shouldve been rejected.

McPake probably only expected to bring in another striker with the 3 we had but we now need two. Add in a winger, central midfielder and most importanrlt a Goalkeeper as I've said all along.

Failure to get all these and ita play offs at best. Not good enough to be two weeks away with the squad we have I'm afraid.

Thank you.

We shouldn't of let Kenny Miller go - especially to a direct competitor.
Doesn't matter if he wanted to or not, it shouldve been rejected.
McPake probably only expected to bring in another striker with the 3 we had but we now need two. Add in a winger, central midfielder and most importanrlt a Goalkeeper as I've said all along.
Failure to get all these and ita play offs at best. Not good enough to be two weeks away with the squad we have I'm afraid.
Thank you.

Im not sure I agree, if Miller had stayed he would have undermined Mcpake at every opportunity, through relegation we are in a lucky position of having no players , with a fresh start it would be silly to have that snake in his ear saying one thing to his face and another behind his back, with him gone its Mcpakes team

The saying “too many chiefs, not enough Indians” come to mind