All things Dundee FC

Was there ever a Dee who was no world beater in the Dark Blue who you really liked for no apparent reason?

For some reason I always liked Steven Robb. I was gutted when he left us for the DABs but then he was pretty shite for them and he came back to help us so I was okay with him.
Today though he posted this on twitter and I can’t...IMG_2056.jpg

1 minute ago, JockysJetpack said:

Was there ever a Dee who was no world beater in the Dark Blue who you really liked for no apparent reason?

For some reason I always liked Steven Robb. I was gutted when he left us for the DABs but then he was pretty shite for them and he came back to help us so I was okay with him.
Today though he posted this on twitter and I can’t...IMG_2056.jpg

He was an encouraging youth, but turned out to be pretty shite overall. I've had more than my fair share of them:

Jan Zemlik - Still maintain to this day that he was a decent player. It's pretty shite to be 6'7, shite in the air and have the ball fired at your head when that's not your game. Don't get me wrong he was probably League One level, but certainly didn't deserve the reputation as one of our worst ever strikers when we didn't play to his strong point which was ball to feet.

My username is reflective of Ludo Roy and Craig Samson's battle for number 1. Still think Craig Samson played a major part in costing us promotion 12 year ago so I probably overhyped Ludo Roy due to my disdain for Samson. Expect the same to happen this season with Hamilton and Ferrie!

Milan Palenik - Still one of my favourite CH's but a bit of a w****r when you think about it. Signed because he was Zemlik's mate. Few years after he left he then pretended he wasn't done and accepted the offer of a trial and came over and substituted himself for his mate who was useless because he couldn't play anymore. 😂

Brent Sancho was a solid CH and Paul McHale wasn't the abomination people made out, but finally, my favourite not brilliant, (But actually probably one of our best in living memory) RB's has to be Eric Paton. Loved that guy.

He was an encouraging youth, but turned out to be pretty shite overall. I've had more than my fair share of them:
Jan Zemlik - Still maintain to this day that he was a decent player. It's pretty shite to be 6'7, shite in the air and have the ball fired at your head when that's not your game. Don't get me wrong he was probably League One level, but certainly didn't deserve the reputation as one of our worst ever strikers when we didn't play to his strong point which was ball to feet.

My username is reflective of Ludo Roy and Craig Samson's battle for number 1. Still think Craig Samson played a major part in costing us promotion 12 year ago so I probably overhyped Ludo Roy due to my disdain for Samson. Expect the same to happen this season with Hamilton and Ferrie!

Milan Palenik - Still one of my favourite CH's but a bit of a w****r when you think about it. Signed because he was Zemlik's mate. Few years after he left he then pretended he wasn't done and accepted the offer of a trial and came over and substituted himself for his mate who was useless because he couldn't play anymore. [emoji23]

Brent Sancho was a solid CH and Paul McHale wasn't the abomination people made out, but finally, my favourite not brilliant, (But actually probably one of our best in living memory) RB's has to be Eric Paton. Loved that guy.

I think I liked Robb because after the admin he was a player that came through and was quite exciting on the wing? I also was a fan of Fotheringham it’s a shame his career never really amounted to anything.

To be fair I was a massive fan of Ludo and especially Brent Sancho. My first game was his debut where I’m sure he was subbed off for FabCab at HT.

6 hours ago, Dele said:

I'd walk over broken glass to get Kane Hemmings back in a Dundee shirt. I'd imagine he'd be significantly cheaper than May, too. 

I highly doubt it would happen though. 

ness pinging it over the top for hemmings to run on to , would love to see it but as you say probably unlikely to happen 

11 minutes ago, The Gifted Sub said:

Aw and Nicky Riley 100%.  If the poor c***s legs weren't made from straw he'd have won a balon d'or by now.

Felt hypocritical for berating divers all my life when he won us a game winning penalty away to Partick Thistle on the opening day of the season in the final minute. It was the very moment I realised I wore Dark Blue goggles and fucking loved it.

Let's not forget Nicky Riley's magnificent hair. A masterpiece, imo. 

Going further back, I was a big fan of Ivo Den Biemen. Won a penalty at Tannadice in about 1992, which Dodds converted to win us the most one-sided derby I've ever seen. Absolute robbery and it was fucking glorious. Den Biemen was also a stand out in our 4-3 win over Sevco a few weeks prior to that. He also virtually cut Walter Kidd in two with a real "forward's tackle" right in front of the Derry. 

Edited by Day of the Lords

Let's not forget Nicky Riley's magnificent hair. A masterpiece, imo. 
Going further back, I was a big fan of Ivo Den Biemen. Won a penalty at Tannadice in about 1992, which Dodds converted to win us the most one-sided derby I've ever seen. Absolute robbery and it was fucking glorious. Den Biemen was also a stand out in our 4-3 win over Sevco a few weeks prior to that. He also virtually cut Walter Kidd in two with a real "forward's tackle" right in front of the Derry. 

Lovely to see the wife beater giving a way a penalty.

We used to call him Evo Non Stick (I can hear you guffawing). Signed from Montrose IIRC - and to be fair he be a stick on in our first 11 now.

Eric Paton was a wizard. Had never seen nor heard of him before we signed him and the wee man was like a ballet dancer be it at RB or CM. A proper right back. Loved him. 

Imagine a back 4 of Paton, Zura, de Marchi and Malone. All equally magnificent and mental in equal measure. 

6 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Two for me - Noel Blake and Wes Saunders.

Excellent shouts. Some of Saunders' "uncompromising" defending was glorious. 

1 hour ago, Dele said:

Eric Paton was a wizard. Had never seen nor heard of him before we signed him and the wee man was like a ballet dancer be it at RB or CM. A proper right back. Loved him. 

Imagine a back 4 of Paton, Zura, de Marchi and Malone. All equally magnificent and mental in equal measure. 

Swap out DeMarchi for a pre-injury Jim Duffy. DeMarchi was infuriating, frequently getting totally unnecessary bookings and red cards. You could see he was a class player but he could a fucking liability at times. One ridiculous red cost us a cup tie against Hearts. 

6 hours ago, Fifespud said:

Lovely to see the wife beater giving a way a penalty.

We used to call him Evo Non Stick (I can hear you guffawing). Signed from Montrose IIRC - and to be fair he be a stick on in our first 11 now.

Aye it was Montrose. I think he had decided to play for them because he was at Uni in either Dundee or Aberdeen and it was handy for him. A winger who just didn't look like a winger. 

Loved Eric Paton, great player and servant to the club. Stephen O’Donnell was my fav from that crop of players.

Any suggestion that Paul McHale was anything other than attrocious is debateable at best... a poor mans Brian Kerr imo.

Ps. What about Eddie Annand?

Thank you.

All great shouts lads. The closest we had to a ‘hero’ last season was Nathan Ralph. Let me through in Bobby Mann.

Loved Bobby Mann. Old fashioned centre half. I don’t think I ever seen him lose a header.

Already mentioned but Milan Palenik and Eric Paton are probably two of my “under-recognised” favourite players. Both brilliant for us when you consider the position we were in when they played.