All things Dundee FC

9 minutes ago, The Gifted Sub said:

May would score at least 15 at this level.

I trust in Jazzer though, his business so far looks good.

There’s nothing in the last 4? seasons to suggest that is even remotely possible. 

May is not what we need, add in the fact that he would command substantial wages, I really wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole. 

It’s been 6 and 7 seasons since May did the job for Hamilton and St Johnstone, that’s a very long time. I think he scored 7 goals in the last two seasons for Aberdeen, despite playing the vast majority of games. 

If we get him for a grand a week, fine, otherwise he would be a waste of money IMO. 

47 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

People just want to see Curran to score a goal, or do something/ anything.
May would do a job for us , affording him is another matter.
In saying that the Americans havnt been short on cash since in charge

The club must’ve saved a few quid so far this season just by the  lack of numbers in the squad. 

Maybe saving a bit of money over the last month or so to be in a position to offer new transfer targets a bit more money to get them here. Putting 2+2 and getting 5 probably!

For the record, I am all for Stevie May coming to Dens. To be quite honest, if a player who not too long ago was touted as one of the most promising strikers in Scotland can't score even semi-regularly against teams like (no disrespect) Morton, Alloa and Arbroath, he should just hang his boots up. I think May in the Championship would be a coup.

We seem to like statistics - Craig Wighton has (according to Wiki) scored 11 goals in 139 games. That’s pretty meh, surely. Curran has scored 72 in 393 games. Meh - but double Wighton’s rate. I’d love Stevie May at Dens. Madness to suggest otherwise.

1 minute ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

For the record, I am all for Stevie May coming to Dens. To be quite honest, if a player who not too long ago was touted as one of the most promising strikers in Scotland can't score even semi-regularly against teams like (no disrespect) Morton, Alloa and Arbroath, he should just hang his boots up. I think May in the Championship would be a coup.

I’d be all for May coming in on loan, would be a great foil for Nelson imo. The Aberdeen fan who posted would know more about May than us and seems to fairly positive about him. I don’t think he’s played as the central striker much up at Aberdeen due to the form of Cosgrove, did score a bit of a worldy for them against us up at Aberdeen on his debut tbf. 

I’d also be happy to see Wighton back as long as he wasn’t being wasted playing out wide and used in the number 10 position that would suit him. 

If we could get May, Wighton, another experienced goalkeeper and someone like Scott Wright I’d be very happy. 

There’s nothing in the last 4? seasons to suggest that is even remotely possible. 
May is not what we need, add in the fact that he would command substantial wages, I really wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole. 

May has been constantly played out of position to accommodate other strikers. He’s always scored when he’s been the main striker. Andy Nelson has barely scored thousands of goals and we’re all pretty happy with him.

The club must’ve saved a few quid so far this season just by the  lack of numbers in the squad. 
Maybe saving a bit of money over the last month or so to be in a position to offer new transfer targets a bit more money to get them here. Putting 2+2 and getting 5 probably!
Positives of our strikers, I cant think of too many. Nelson needs to stay fit is the biggest task for him. We will be relying on him a lot I reckon so I'd hope Dundee are looking for someone with goals in them.
Surely we cant be looking at Nelson, Curran and youth players for the coming season?

Meh people here were expected a few signings this week or even one.... we start our first competitive game tomorrow. How serious Mcpake will take this competition I'm unsure.

Don’t get the fascination with bringing Wighton back to be honest.

Apart from a few moments of magic he was very inconsistent and whenever he did get a chance in the team he didn’t take it.

He has never performed on a consistent basis at senior level and hasn’t done much at hearts to suggest that will change any time soon.

Has plenty talent but sometimes that just isn’t enough.

15 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Meh people here were expected a few signings this week or even one.... we start our first competitive game tomorrow. How serious Mcpake will take this competition I'm unsure.

He stated in an interview he was taking it very seriously as he's experienced the shit cup runs firsthand, and I believe him. However, I think he'll use these games and probably the Challenge Cup games to give the youth players professional game time experience, which I get. Still would like to have an easy comfortable win tomorrow rather than putting our faith in a squad of largely untested youths, but we'll see what happens.

48 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I’d love Stevie May at Dens. Madness to suggest otherwise.

Why? 

What have you seen of him in the past, say, three seasons that makes you think "He'd be a great signing!"? 

Why? 
What have you seen of him in the past, say, three seasons that makes you think "He'd be a great signing!"? 
Suppose I look at Curran and I look at May and think, who has more chance of scoring in the championship? A player who last few seasons just hasn't been scoring to much in the top league , but according to there fans ( on here ) he still offers a lot and still want to keep him or we have Curran who so far has offered zero.

His wage demand would it be a huge issue, the Americans aren't exactly short of money?

Who do you think is the player in our current squad that you believe will lead us high up in the league? Or do you think it will be a shitfest all season?

Me personally I genuinely don't know. But what I do know is that we are short on players across the whole field. Just think if we started to pick up injuries we may struggle.

I'd rather we took a chance on somebody out the blue rather than sign somebody expensive who, about 18 months aside - years ago - has done diddly squat. Sure, Aberdeen fans like him because he puts a power of work in. So did Moussa. So does Curran.

We're not looking for a carthorse. We already have one. 

I'd rather we took a chance on somebody out the blue rather than sign somebody expensive who, about 18 months aside - years ago - has done diddly squat. Sure, Aberdeen fans like him because he puts a power of work in. So did Moussa. So does Curran.
We're not looking for a carthorse. We already have one. 
So far Curran has did diddly squat. I rate Moussa more than I do him. You at least got a goal out of him .

But yeah maybe a random who we have never heard of may just do the trick. We can agree though we need signings however .
If honest I dont see May dropping down a league anyway or if he did just cant see he would come to us.
Quite excited for tomorrow as no idea what sort of formation or who we are going to go with.

3 hours ago, The Gifted Sub said:

May has been constantly played out of position to accommodate other strikers. He’s always scored when he’s been the main striker. Andy Nelson has barely scored thousands of goals and we’re all pretty happy with him.

Always scored? Two league goals last season, that’s pathetic for someone playing in an attacking position for Aberdeen. 

Can we not sign a striker who can put the ball in the net please. That’s the kinda point of them. 

I’m obviously not an Aberdeen fan, but regularly watch Scottish games on tv, I must have watched a good number of their games last season, and he didn’t stand out. He runs about, and puts in a shift, well good for him, but that isn’t what we need. 

Edited by srw