All things Dundee FC

11 minutes ago, Girth said:

Sounds excellent.

Do we need any more players!? emoji13.pngemoji13.pngemoji13.png

Couldn't make the game tonight, sounds promising by all accounts, especially the younger players again. 

Admire totally, James McPake's vision for the future, however we do still require a minimum three first team stalwart/regulars to be signed in the meantime.

How many hearts missed a beat when young Nelson indicated a possible ankle problem?

Best regards

4 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

That's a bit of a weak move career wise. Probably makes up for it monetary wise tbf.

They have a decent wee side down there and only struggled last season because of horrendous injuries. I doubt it's a great move for him financially as they are always skint and fending off winding up orders from the taxman. 

The young lads were uplifting but we still need players. 1 or 2 strikers, 1 if he fancies Cunningham, and a keeper at a minimum. Think midfield is ok. And a centre half if, as seems likely, Davies is getting fucked off. Meekings seems really fit which is a pleasant surprise. Marshall came on holding his groin and proceeded to look less than 100%. Jamie Ness looks a brilliant signing. Like a more mobile GGH. Very pleased with him. Thought Byrne didn’t really work with Ness though. Todd looks quite good too. Thought McGhee was encouraging and Forster, whilst limited on the ball, is mobile and a big solid guy. Nelson looked very sharp and he certainly likes to leave a bit on the opposition. We look much more mobile all over the park and we’ve got a few genuine midfielder rather than imposters. It’s quite encouraging really without getting too carried away.

10 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

The young lads were uplifting but we still need players. 1 or 2 strikers, 1 if he fancies Cunningham, and a keeper at a minimum. Think midfield is ok. And a centre half if, as seems likely, Davies is getting fucked off. Meekings seems really fit which is a pleasant surprise. Marshall came on holding his groin and proceeded to look less than 100%. Jamie Ness looks a brilliant signing. Like a more mobile GGH. Very pleased with him. Thought Byrne didn’t really work with Ness though. Todd looks quite good too. Thought McGhee was encouraging and Forster, whilst limited on the ball, is mobile and a big solid guy. Nelson looked very sharp and he certainly likes to leave a bit on the opposition. We look much more mobile all over the park and we’ve got a few genuine midfielder rather than imposters. It’s quite encouraging really without getting too carried away.

Agree with the majority of that. Think Ness looks like he'll be a brilliant bit of business.

I was a wee bit worried by Forster, seemed rather rash at times and his headers just seemed to loop up into the air rather than cleared.

Todd doesn't look like your typical winger and a wee bit on the slow side. Reckon he could be frustrating - not near as frustrating as McDaid though - the type that can skin a player 4 or 5 times then can't beat the first man with a cross.

McGhee looked very composed, especially considering he played on the left of the 3 and Meekings marshalled the defence very well restricting Blackpool to half chances who had a considerable height advantage.

Hamilton was Hamilton. Flapped a good few times but recovered well during his biggest dodgy moment to reclaim the ball.

Finlay Robertson didn't look near out of place and will have a big future if he progresses considering he's 16!

Craig Curran was a pest and can prove useful! He was the catalyst for Nelson getting his goal as his running took the only option the Blackpool keeper had out the game.

I was encouraged as one can be from a friendly. Byrne is gonna be a Barry Smith style player in that he'll win the ball and pass it on to someone with more ability. He'll go under the radar but he looks like he'll be a cross between the aforementioned Smith with a bit of class like Kamara. 

This all needs to be tempered by being seen through a game purely intended to get minutes in. The encouraging thing is, the youngsters looked to have a better tempo and skill level than some of the Blackpool players.

Final point goes to Paul McGowan who looked classy as I've saw in a few seasons from him.

Cheered that nelson goal louder than any goal scored all last season quite enjoyed tonight, i really still cannot understand some of the trumpets in the Bobby Cox:

1. One boy gave Gowser dogs abuse IMO looked good with a wise head on him looking to try and start something, much better than any performance last season

2. Another very harsh on Mcdaid who was clearly not enjoying the left wing (changed later on and was far better)

3. Another Huffed when the young lads came on... well by f**k did they shut his puss! If only those lads were here last season 16 years old and fighting like Spartans! Hope we can develop them right and hopefully McPake is the man to do that.

Im still feeling we lack that little bit of depth ideally 4-5 but at this point Id love to feel we can bring in at least another defender midfielder and striker with an outside chance of pushing for a play off final.

Overall absolutely glorious seeing the first game at Dens with the new team beating a team with body builders and powerlifters in Day-Glo[emoji106]

From what I seen last night, bar maybe a keeper, I think we are good to go.
You cant be serious?
Strikers alone if Nelson gets injured or even Meekings again I'd be slightly concerned.
Youth I'm more than happy to get a chance but we still need more bodies.
Even take away keeper and accept we are stuck with Hamilton we still need a few outside players

From what I seen last night, bar maybe a keeper, I think we are good to go.
Strong starting lineup definitely, but we can't rely on such a small squad topped up with kids all season. Injuries and suspensions could derail our season. In my mind we are 3 or 4 shy of a genuine title challenge.