All things Dundee FC

36 minutes ago, ravabelli said:

Minimum of 2 half decent strikers required. Not nearly enough goals in that squad. Should have been a priority in my opinion after last season 

In the doon derby season (15-16), Hemmings, Stewart & Loy scored 45 goals between them, Kane top scoring with 25.

Since then, in three whole seasons, the team as a whole, has scored 142, with 14 of those being scored by Loy, Stewart and Hemmings before they left. Our top scorers for each season have had 12, 9 & 8 respectively (the 12 was Moussa (!), thanks to the LC games). That's how long we have been looking for a striker, that's how negligent our recent managers have been. (Figures from Wikipedia and include all competitive games, not just league.)

I hope that Nelson will be banging them in, but agree we need at least two more strikers than can actually score. I also have to ask why we let Henvey & Scott go without either giving them a crack at the Championship, or having replacements ready to bring in...

Edited by Spikethedee
Wikipedia stats weren't up to date!

We absolutely need another striker, this really has to be McPake's priority now. I know we've all been saying this for years (it's been staring us in the face ever since the Stewart/Hemmings partnership disintegrated), but I really am struggling to see where the goals are going to come from.

Would also very much like a young, hungry keeper to challenge for first team. I do want Hamilton to do well, and there must be a player in there somewhere, but I just have no confidence in him whatsoever... hopefully he can prove us all wrong.

Anyway — one or two good signings away from a very decent squad, imo.

Thank you.

I think Hamilton will be our lot keeper wise and it will be fine. We need a striker far more than a keeper 

Have to agree with what others above have said about our chances. Those expecting us to go up this year will be disappointed in my view. The best we can hope for is to establish a stable and  developing core ahead of a push next year or the one after.

I'm personally completely fine with that. I think finally getting our shit together again on the playing side is a lot more important than going up first time. Doesn't happen in one window. Takes years.

Still. I've been wrong before.

Still need a keeper, central defence/left back cover, attacking midfielder and two strikers needed IMO.

I can see Hamilton Howlers, Nelson injured again and Curran playing being massive negatives this season.

Cmon McPake, you've done well so far IMO, but we need another handful of signings.

Unfortunately Hamilton will probably be our number 1 this season, but thats a monumental mistake for me. He will be barracked after his first howler of the season, and he looks like he has no confidence to start with, he is the first DFC player that Ive thought could have a mental break down and just collapse on the park in a ball of tears. Scotland call up, Hearts first team yeah yeah yeah, I used to be skinny, things change sadly...

It's really hard to say at this point. We might just be 3 or 4 players short of romping it. Or.....we might finish mid table. I honestly couldn't say. Regardless we appear to be moving in the right direction.  I think it's safe to say we will have a fairly good idea of where we stand in the next 10 games. Preseason means little and we need to remember this. 

But.....we have one striker realistically and he isn't particularly prolific. We need two strikers....seasoned or not. 

I'm willing to be suprised how this unfolds. 

(Please mcpake make this happen!!!)

I think Hamilton will be our lot keeper wise and it will be fine. We need a striker far more than a keeper 
Have to agree with what others above have said about our chances. Those expecting us to go up this year will be disappointed in my view. The best we can hope for is to establish a stable and  developing core ahead of a push next year or the one after.
I'm personally completely fine with that. I think finally getting our shit together again on the playing side is a lot more important than going up first time. Doesn't happen in one window. Takes years.
Still. I've been wrong before.

My thoughts exactly, last time we got promoted we had the likes of Peaso, Gavin Rae, Mcallister and even Nade, players who were strong in midfield and who knew how to score, good foundations were there and were built on as the season progressed.

3 minutes ago, Girth said:

Rumours we’re after Stevie May...

You're nothing more than bait to try and get more money out Steve Brown

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

You're nothing more than bait to try and get more money out Steve Brown

He's not really Premiership level anymore IMO. Wouldn't be gutted if that's true, I'd rather someone like Rudden.

Stokes is another that's been rumoured, but another I can't see.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

He's not really Premiership level anymore IMO. Wouldn't be gutted if that's true, I'd rather someone like Rudden.

Stokes is another that's been rumoured, but another I can't see.

Hard to tell with May, McInnes had him playing on the left of a midfield four in a game I saw last season...

But aye, his high wages and abysmal goal record probably means he'd be an expensive punt, we're in a situation where we could gamble on him, and he'd get leeway from both manager and support if he struggled early on. Him joining Dundee would make little sense for either party.

Mark O'Hara is free to leave Peterborough and attended our game today along with Gordon Strachan. Peterborough are training in the same location as we are so it's not as if he'll be joining, but he'd be a great signing.

Just now, The Gifted Sub said:

You wouldn't get a better midfield than Ness, McGowan, Byrne and O'Hara at this level.  Doubt we'll be in for him, though.  

That'd be the best midfield in the league IMO.