All things Dundee FC

15 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Dave MacKay joins as first team coach and head of opposition analysis. He turned down at senior coaching role at the Steading in order to come home. Good luck Dave.

'Head of opposition analysis'. 

What a job by the way. 

Dundee seem to be building a good squad for this division so much will come down to the fitness of certain players and, the big one, the management by McPake and his team. I'm obviously biased but I would see United having the advantage on most sides given that we only need small changes to the squad and every other team seems to be going through a massive rebuild, but it is definitely shaping up to be an exciting league season.

I'll still stick to my thinking on the prediction thread and would say that the top 4 will be United, Dundee, Inverness and Partick.

I am convinced that the SPFL will kick the season off with a Dundee Derby fixture but to be honest I don't think either team will want that. In an ideal world it would be game 5 or 6 and both teams will have a bit of momentum behind them. That would also give us a better indicator as to what the season might bring for both clubs. If it was first game of the season it would be a 'baws oot' lottery of a game (which would admittedly be very exciting to start the season) but I think both sides would want it to be a few games in.

Dundee seem to be building a good squad for this division so much will come down to the fitness of certain players and, the big one, the management by McPake and his team. I'm obviously biased but I would see United having the advantage on most sides given that we only need small changes to the squad and every other team seems to be going through a massive rebuild, but it is definitely shaping up to be an exciting league season.
I'll still stick to my thinking on the prediction thread and would say that the top 4 will be United, Dundee, Inverness and Partick.
I am convinced that the SPFL will kick the season off with a Dundee Derby fixture but to be honest I don't think either team will want that. In an ideal world it would be game 5 or 6 and both teams will have a bit of momentum behind them. That would also give us a better indicator as to what the season might bring for both clubs. If it was first game of the season it would be a 'baws oot' lottery of a game (which would admittedly be very exciting to start the season) but I think both sides would want it to be a few games in.

I agree that United definitely have an advantage and on paper, should win the league but we’ve been saying that for a few years now. After Falkirk’s implosion last year I honestly feel we could finish first or last, although like you I’m very encouraged by the players we’ve signed and the whole signing policy.

3 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I agree that United definitely have an advantage and on paper, should win the league but we’ve been saying that for a few years now. After Falkirk’s implosion last year I honestly feel we could finish first or last, although like you I’m very encouraged by the players we’ve signed and the whole signing policy.

At least Dundee have gone for players who have direct experience in this division and of Scottish football. Hartley and the recruitment team at Falkirk thought by signing players from highly rated English youth sides they were going to surprise everyone, which they did, but for all the wrong reasons. I think Rubben Sammut, Chelsea's U23 captain signed for Falkirk and in his first interview said something like - "I am looking forward to playing men's senior football for the first time". 

1 hour ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Marshall is a squad signing at best. Byrne is a cracking signing and one I would have been delighted to see at Tannadice. 

The Championship is shaping up nicely this year. 

😂 fishing rod out again AM?

Marshall is a better left back than Jamie Robson and easily one of the better left backs at this level. Whether he can make the step up to the Premiership if Dundee get there is another question but Dundee must have some team if he's not a starter.

34 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

😂 fishing rod out again AM?

Marshall is a better left back than Jamie Robson and easily one of the better left backs at this level. Whether he can make the step up to the Premiership if Dundee get there is another question but Dundee must have some team if he's not a starter.

Upsetting to learn that Marshall is better than our 3rd choice left back.

Byrne looks a decent signing, be interesting to see if Dundee are willing to pay more transfer fees over the summer. 

1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

I agree with you regards keeping players fit deciding the league’s outcome. Maybe slightly biased but I thought Utd looked extremely poor in the playoffs and were very fortunate with refereeing decisions and 4 exceptional performances by your keeper, which according to my dab mate was very unlike him and he’s apparently horrendous at cross balls. 

If and it’s a big if, we can get the majority of the season out of Meekings, Davies and Nelson I think we should win this league. 

A lot being made of Utd’s budget but as far as I can see from last season’s evidence I’m glad it’s tied up on the likes of signings they made in January. 

Edited to say, I’ve just remembered Hamilton’s our goalkeeper 😔 we’re doomed if he’s not replaced!!!

Edited by Yenitit

I agree with you regards keeping players fit deciding the league’s outcome. Maybe slightly biased but I thought Utd looked extremely poor in the playoffs and were very fortunate with refereeing decisions and 4 exceptional performances by your keeper, which according to my dab mate was very unlike him and he’s apparently horrendous at cross balls. 
If and it’s a big if, we can get the majority of the season out of Meekings, Davies and Nelson I think we should win this league. 
A lot being made of Utd’s budget but as far as I can see from last season’s evidence I’m glad it’s tied up on the likes of signings they made in January. 
For me this will be key. We need to keep these guys fit. Sort of a worry for me but hopefully we come up trumps. A few more signings would be nice.
Just hope nobody takes anything from pre season games..

4 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

For me this will be key. We need to keep these guys fit. Sort of a worry for me but hopefully we come up trumps. A few more signings would be nice.
Just hope nobody takes anything from pre season games..

Agree about more signings required, I’d probably say about 5 tbh. Squad depth is a worry with the 3 I mentioned previously not having the greatest of fitness whilst being at the club. Ideal scenario for me is swap deals for Hamilton and Curran plus another 5. 

If a Ross County team with Lewis Spence and Andy Boyle in it p!sh this league, 1 with Kerr, Meekings, Davies, Byrne, McGowan, Nelson and Miller playing most games should do more than ok. Nothing certain in football tho.