All things Dundee FC

Just to survive in the Premiership with the 6th biggest budget = unrealistic expectations.

The first person to spout this pish was Dodds who was probably definitely just repeating what Jim Fucking McIntyre said to him. 

6 minutes ago, srw said:

Pish.

This was our 5th season in the Premiership, all we wanted was to be safe, no one was speaking about challenging for Europe, top 6 etc, our goal was a pretty simple. Unfortunately, two abject failures of managers have cost us.

Football people are pretty fvcking moronic, in no other job would getting sacked after 8 months of failure be seen as a shock. If you walked into a job tomorrow and were not up to it, youd be bulleted within the month, your arse wouldnt hit the door, let alone have time to collect a massive payoff.

I always find it quite funny when after a bad season, people in Scottish Football go on about how fans and even players in interviews have unreasonable expectations. We're all wanting to do as well as we can, that's it. If Rangers recruit well in the summer and unsettle Celtic in a title challenge, Celtic won't end up getting relegated because of it.

There's definitely a problem with turnover at the club and we've had way too many players go in and out of the door that has been counter productive and poor strategy but that's a somewhat different issue.

Each Dundee manager since FPS come in have been given plenty of patience and money:

Hartley hit some really really poor runs and despite this, he got to recruit a new team on top of the automatic renewals that were given to the league winning squad (so the likes of Riley, Benedictus, Conroy + others were still on the books despite leaving). Some signings like Williams, Vincent, Hateley, O'Dea, Gomis and even Ojamaa were made with mid table competition and did not come cheaply and he was also given the opportunity to pay off some of his duds and sign additional squad members to replace them (despite the moaning about the small squad). He was eventually sacked when it got to squeaky bum time and we had a few massive defeats and heading for automatic relegation.

Like Hartley, McCann was given the opportunity to recruit a whole new team and perhaps went a bit further with how big the squad was (we had a bigger squad than pretty much anyone outwith the Old Firm) in addition to the pay offs. With his good budget, he was allowed to make signings like Jon, Caulker, Randy, Kamara, Hendry who all come from very good levels of football and would not have been cheap. Despite the tough first season where we underachieved with our budget and moments where we very narrowly scraped a big result in the relegation battle, he was given his second year to make the full scale changes he wanted and implement his vision. A few months in and we're the whipping boys and look like we'd lose a second tier play off.

McIntyre again, plenty of financial backing to recruit a whole new team and do the pay offs. He had a very tough job to do but failed miserably and went down with barely a whimper against a PE teacher and a first time manager who previously hit highs of being an assistant to the formerly mentioned PE teacher and tactical great, Richie Foran.

For me, the managers we've had have generally been given a lot of leeway and backing to implement their ideas. Generally, American owners are perceived to be dangerously ruthless but there's been a lot of patience in how they've approached things. The problem is that they just gave the first two managers total free reign to do what they wanted and then picked a third manager who wasn't up to the task they needed (who in fairness, had done a January rebuild with County and gotten them out of it so it wasn't completely insane on paper).

24 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

More punted plz. 

Hamilton and Curran next please although FlapJack's performance on Saturday has almost guaranteed that no-one will be daft enough to take him for more than 50 quid a week wages. We're lumbered with him unless we pay him off. 

Hamilton has to go, he’s woeful.

I presume the other Curran is Craig? Hopefully the Dunfermline rumours regarding him are true. 

If it’s the Jesse version, I’d like to see him given a run out in a central position behind the strikers. His pace has to be utilised better. He should be the guy making the run beyond the strikers and causing problems with his pace. Keeps him out of harms way defensively as well as he’s not got a clue what’s going on defensively. 

Problem you’ll have with Hamilton is presumably McCann gave him a starters wage (£1k+) potentially. He’s got another 2 years on his deal, so you’re looking at £100k to get rid minimum. He’s shite, but at that cost surely he’s worth keeping as a sub goalie?

Do you think the players read these forms? And if so what do you think they do when they get slagged? Say Hamilton reads this and keeps on seeing flapjack not just once but consistently throughout his career I wonder if it gets under his skin and causes loss of confidence

Jesse Curran is just another heidless chicken at this point. It's well documented that he's a liability when we don't have the ball, but about the only thing he does do well is charging forward with it at his feet. Once he actually gets into a dangerous position he invariably gives it away, over or underhits a cross, or blooters it miles off target. It's not as if he's just a kid who needs more time either, he's about to turn 23.

Just now, D TOTAL said:

Do you think the players read these forms? And if so what do you think they do when they get slagged? Say Hamilton reads this and keeps on seeing flapjack not just once but consistently throughout his career I wonder if it gets under his skin and causes loss of confidence

Any pro footballer that reads a forum and gets rattled by randoms giving an opinion doesn't have the mental fortitude to be a pro in the first place.

9 minutes ago, D TOTAL said:

Some players probably do read forums / twitter / facebook etc

Flapjack has been called that for years, he is a truly appalling keeper, I doubt the criticism will be a surprise to him, even he must realise he is useless.

He'd probably drop the laptop tbh.

9 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Hamilton has to go, he’s woeful.

I presume the other Curran is Craig? Hopefully the Dunfermline rumours regarding him are true. 

If it’s the Jesse version, I’d like to see him given a run out in a central position behind the strikers. His pace has to be utilised better. He should be the guy making the run beyond the strikers and causing problems with his pace. Keeps him out of harms way defensively as well as he’s not got a clue what’s going on defensively. 

Aye,I should have stressed Craig Curran and not Jesse.

Regarding the latter, having him playing behind the strikers is exactly what I said to my mates the other day. His strength is running at players and laying it off and his weakness is obviously his inability to defend so it makes sense to at least try him out there.

Regarding Jack Hamilton getting called FlapJack, I very rarely slag a Dundee player but the guy is an absolute liability and should never play for us again. If you are reading this Jack, I'm sorry, but sometimes the truth hurts. 

There's no shame in not being good enough. That's not Hamilton's fault, he doesn't deliberately throw the ball into his own net. The ire needs reserved for Neil McCann and the people who sanctioned paying a fee for a player who obviously isn't up to the task.

45 minutes ago, srw said:

Some players probably do read forums / twitter / facebook etc

Flapjack has been called that for years, he is a truly appalling keeper, I doubt the criticism will be a surprise to him, even he must realise he is useless.

Like Martin Woods, who genuinely offers square goes and calls people "obsessed" if they criticise him :lol:

1 hour ago, Yenitit said:

He's Mark O'Hara 2.0. completely agree his pace is being used wrong. He should be running behind the strikers as you said. 

On the counter, he would be invaluable up the pitch. 

6 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Jack Hamilton maybe isn't so bad...

A couple of howlers a season will surely be better than the couple a game that we get with JackHam. My Gran has stronger hands than Jack and she's been deid for a few years. She was tougher than half our squad and she'd be stronger on the ball than Jesse Curran is!

But I digress, if we go into next season with JackHam as our #1 then we'll need a brick wall for a defense, and when I say a brick wall I mean actual bricks built up in and about the goalmouth covering the net - let me re-emphasise here - I mean literally placing actual bricks in front of our goal. If we don't replace Jack we'll be looking at mid table at best. 

I'm sure he's a good lad, but he sucks.

Edited by CanadianDee

A couple of howlers a season will surely be better than the couple a game that we get with JackHam. My Gran has stronger hands than Jack and she's been deid for a few years. She was tougher than half our squad and she'd be stronger on the ball than Jesse Curran is!
But I digress, if we go into next season with JackHam as our #1 then we'll need a brick wall for a defense, and when I say a brick wall I mean actual bricks built up in and about the goalmouth covering the net - let me re-emphasise here - I mean literally placing actual bricks in front of our goal. If we don't replace Jack we'll be looking at mid table at best. 
I'm sure he's a good lad, but he sucks.

I feel like your trying to make a point, could you be slightly more specific [emoji16]

21 minutes ago, D TOTAL said:

I feel like your trying to make a point, could you be slightly more specific emoji16.png

Yes, do you know a good bricklayer that works cheap? And can he make the wall portable so it can be switched at halftime and towed behind the team bus for away days?

But in all seriousness I think we need to tell JackHam he will be 2nd choice and with any luck we can get him to move on and if not he needs stapling to the bench. In the event that we assemble a good squad it will all be undone by that dodgy keeper! Colour me concerned.

6 minutes ago, CanadianDee said:

Yes, do you know a good bricklayer that works cheap? And can he make the wall portable so it can be switched at halftime and towed behind the team bus for away days?

But in all seriousness I think we need to tell JackHam he will be 2nd choice and with any luck we can get him to move on and if not he needs stapling to the bench. In the event that we assemble a good squad it will all be undone by that dodgy keeper! Colour me concerned.

I know a self employed brickie but he’s a lapsed Dab, so he can get tae f**k!