All things Dundee FC

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

Surely in the conditions described above, an experienced manager/coach is the way to go? A blank canvas and big budget could go either way - just look at what happened to Falkirk last season - but surely bringing in a manager with experience of building squads at a club playing below their natural level is a more sensible approach? 

Yes, but as I stated in my original point, it wouldn't be the worst idea to give McPake the job. I'm not necessarily saying he's my number 1 choice (He's not) but there's not a better time to give it to a young hand.

I'm not sure it is though. As you've said, any new manager will have a big budget but the money might not be around forever. McPake could end up putting together a poor/unbalanced squad and you've squandered your one chance at a decent budget. That could happen with an experienced manager too obviously but it seems much more likely with someone who you have no idea about.

9 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I'm not sure it is though. As you've said, any new manager will have a big budget but the money might not be around forever. McPake could end up putting together a poor/unbalanced squad and you've squandered your one chance at a decent budget. That could happen with an experienced manager too obviously but it seems much more likely with someone who you have no idea about.

The money won't be around forever. If we squander this chance of coming back up, then appointing McPake then would leave him with a much tougher job. Likewise leaving him in the middle of a relegation battle would be a much tougher job for a rookie. This is the perfect timing for a rookie if there is such a time, because in the footballing world, there's no time at all for new starts. Give him a budget and a blank canvas and it's as good a chance as one could get.

For what it's worth, I'd have Derek Adams, Ian McCall or even Morten Wieghorst ahead of McPake, but if McPake gets the job, I would be far from upset.

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

You can apply that logic to absolutely anyone though. Paul Hartley had a rebuild job with Alloa and took them up twice in 2 seasons because the freedom allowed him to build the squad exactly as he wanted.

It's a huge risk for anyone.

If we get promoted next season, and he takes over whilst we are in a relegation battle - That'd be a worse time. Or if we fail to get up next season and we have less of a parachute payment with duds tied down to longer deals - That'd be a worse time.

We are a blank canvas right now. There'll never be a perfect time, but this is as good as it gets as Ross County proved this season.

I think McPake will be the next manager after whoever gets appointed in the next few weeks. Certainly appears to be the man the Americans see as a sort of club ambassador. 

With McPake being in all the papers and doing the interviews it feels like we’ve got our club back after Calamity James’ stint as manager, the dab c**t

Edited by Yenitit

After the shitshow of McCann and then McIntyre there simply has to be a clean slate and a fresh start at the club. Promoting from within keeps the staleness and if it goes wrong the first few weeks could ruin McPakes whole career before it has even begun. A completely unnecessary risk.

I think it's a widely held opinion in the game that Derek Adams is a bit of a w****r but if he's a w****r that can get us up at the first time of asking then I'm all for him getting the job. 

If he does get the job and fails miserably though, then he should never have been appointed in the first place.

21 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

I think it's a widely held opinion in the game that Derek Adams is a bit of a w****r but if he's a w****r that can get us up at the first time of asking then I'm all for him getting the job. 

If he does get the job and fails miserably though, then he should never have been appointed in the first place.

Yeah, but if whoever we hire fails miserably regardless of who they are, they shouldn't have been appointed. I think DA is above most other choices as he's handled this league easily in the past and has a proven track record for having a fairly high success rate, last season notwithstanding. I genuinely feel he's the right man for the job right now.

Yeah, but if whoever we hire fails miserably regardless of who they are, they shouldn't have been appointed. I think DA is above most other choices as he's handled this league easily in the past and has a proven track record for having a fairly high success rate, last season notwithstanding. I genuinely feel he's the right man for the job right now.
Worth a wee read into Plymouth's forums, very interesting situation there. All going well and then his assistant, Craig Brewster requires surgery and requires a couple of months at home to recover. In the time Brewster is away, Adams tells a newspaper that he's not required any more and the squad are shocked by it. Next year, things are a complete cluster f**k and all he'll has broken loose. Similar oddities were consistent throughout his time at County with his dad.

He's obviously capable but there are a few aspects of that episode that don't sit right and I'd be very interested to find out a lot more about it if I was in charge of selection. Usually good managers are complete headcases so he has potential in that sense.

Maybe the scenario we're in of having a complete reboot is quite suited to him I suppose. I get the impression he needs a dressing room of his players.

He’s actually a really decent bloke away from football, but a combination of intelligence and belligerence means he can run people up the wrong way. He also has a terrific disregard for bad journalists, which means he has a few folk who don’t like him up here. By all accounts he does a lot of drilling in training, which winds up the more egotistical players and after a while becomes untenable.

Certain more cerebral players swear by him - Kettlewell, Ferguson and Brittain being three of them, but he fell out with a lot of players at County. He also had a bewildering signing policy in his last half season, where up to that point he had been bang on the money.

Were I Dundee’s chairman, he’d be the first one I would offer the job to, but with the understanding it was a two year deal and then on to someone else.

Guest gregteamdee
35 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Were I Dundee’s chairman, he’d be the first one I would offer the job to, but with the understanding it was a two year deal and then on to someone else.

He can get us up in his first season, keep us up 2nd season then McPake to take it from there (During that time, McPake has a greater role in the first team backroom staff),  I'd take that. 

36 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Would be unpopular I’m sure but John Robertson?

The list of successful ICT managers who've failed elsewhere is only slightly shorter than the list of Dundee managers who've never achieved anything.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The list of successful ICT managers who've failed elsewhere is only slightly shorter than the list of Dundee managers who've never achieved anything.

How many St Johnstone managers have achieved anything? Much less than Dundee managers FACT

4 minutes ago, Chewing Taffies said:

How many St Johnstone managers have achieved anything? Much less than Dundee managers FACT

Just the one, and he gave me the best memory I'll ever have of a football match.

What's the best footballing memory a Dundee manager has given you?

1 minute ago, Chewing Taffies said:

Sorry I only deal with FACTS. Dundee have more successful managers than St Johnstone. FACT

:lol: I cant argue with that.

But tell me the factual answer to the best memory a Dundee manager has given you then, it's a simple question really.