All things Dundee FC

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Indeed and I would suggest the majority of Dundee fans would be the same.

To confirm, I am happy we didn't employ a man that voted to liquidate my club. The notion that he'd have been some miracle worker in any case is absolutely deluded. But even if he was the second coming of Alex Ferguson, aye, still f**k him.

Confirmation understood, thanks.

I can't speak for the majority of Dundee fans, I can only speak for me. I would prefer that we stayed up. 

I have no idea if Dodds would have made a difference or not, and that's not the point. 

I just wish that all fans would put the club first, ahead of our individual 'feelings'. Because I think that gives us the best chance of success. 

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Disappointed in this as it probably means Dundee will be at least somewhat competent next season.

Also where is the evidence for Dodds being some sort of great super coach?

I don't think anybody is claiming that Dodds is a great super coach. I'm not. 

20 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Will it be 6p in the pound again?

Good evening.

Why do you feel the continuing need to prostitute yourself on a Dundee Football Club thread when I personally have never visited a DUFC one.

Maybe however something to do with my education and upbringing, the righteous path and all that!!!

Please keep taking the medication and do attend your classes my good fellow.

Best regards.  

5 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

What an absoulte fucking roaster of the highest order Tanner is. 

If it quacks like a duck.... Dodds is a proven halfwit. I wish with all honesty we'd have shouted as loud to keep someone like Darren Jackson away from our club at the start of the season, we might not have ended up with as impacted a dressing room by the time that nasty episode was said and done. 

45 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Absolute fucking nonsense. I'm a happier man getting relegated without Billy Dodds being employed by a club he elected to try and liquidate than I would be having been saved by the now assumed miracle man.

Spot on, Dodds can still GTF. 

5 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I don't want to berate someone who has been hugely successful in the industry I hope to get into, BUT David Tanner really drives me up the wall.

He has to be one of the most sycophantic characters in the Scottish football media. He seems to have a view where 'the guid fitba men' can do no wrong, and the fans are always to blame. It's utterly bizarre, and it was great to see Joel from the Terrace calling him out purely be mentioning McIntyre's win percentage. I hate the way he talks down to the fans who have watched Dundee every week under McIntyre, because obviously to make a comment on whether a 12% win record is good enough or not you need to have managed a team at the top level of football here. I've only got a couple of SFA kids coaching badges, and a goalkeeping badge, but I could tell you - with some confidence - that winning 12% of your games in charge of any club (combined with relegation and a record(?) losing run) will get you sacked.

I'm sure he's a nice guy in real life, but my God does he come across poorly when he drops his hot takes on Twitter and then berates anyone who disagrees with him.

Spoiler

If you're going to take Duffy, fancy doing it tomorrow at the latest. I can't be bothered with another pre-season of disarray. 

Confirmation understood, thanks.
I can't speak for the majority of Dundee fans, I can only speak for me. I would prefer that we stayed up. 
I have no idea if Dodds would have made a difference or not, and that's not the point. 
I just wish that all fans would put the club first, ahead of our individual 'feelings'. Because I think that gives us the best chance of success. 

The thing is the thrust of the argument misses the point.
The failure here was that of those appointing McIntyre, who were so unaware of the club's history and the outcry that Dodds' coming with him would bring.
Personally i don't think it would have bothered me that much, but i knew enough to know that the majority of fans could never have swallowed it.
The appointment was doomed from the start, and the fault lies with the man who did the appointing.

Just now, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

It's a nonsense question. IMO.

Respectfully, I disagree. We have no idea if Dodds would have made a difference or not, The point is, the manager thought he would and so did the club. Now, lets say McIntyre had requested Basil Brush as assistant, i.e. someone with no football qualifications whatsoever, then I would have been in the front of the protests.   But the objection to Dodds was that he had hurt our feelings, not his ability. 

We fans put our feelings ahead of the survival of the club in the top league. As fans, our job was to support the club.  We failed. 

Out biggest job next year is to get behind the team. It's going to be hard enough as it is …...

16 minutes ago, dd23 said:

The thing is the thrust of the argument misses the point.
The failure here was that of those appointing McIntyre, who were so unaware of the club's history and the outcry that Dodds' coming with him would bring.
Personally i don't think it would have bothered me that much, but i knew enough to know that the majority of fans could never have swallowed it.
The appointment was doomed from the start, and the fault lies with the man who did the appointing.

The premise here is that he club should have been aware of the fans feelings, and should have made this a more important factor over who was best equipped to save the club from relegation. 

I reject that premise, The most important factor should have been who could keep us up. 

The premise here is that he club should have been aware of the fans feelings, and should have made this a more important factor over who was best equipped to save the club from relegation. 
I reject that premise, The most important factor should have been who could keep us up. 
In an ideal world reject away.
In reality you would have had dogs abuse coming from the stands from day one, what little slack that was extended to McIntyre would not have been extended had Dodds been in tow.
There are certain appointments that are unacceptable to any football club.
Neil Lennon will never walk into Ibrox as manager, Terry Butcher won't get the gig at Celtic and John Robertson is unlikely to manage Hibs.
Also McIntyre and Dodds as best available candidates to save us from relegation?
I'm afraid I just don't buy it.
United had just rejected them. It was a rushed and spectacularly ill judged appointment.

3 minutes ago, Dark Blue Dick said:

Respectfully, I disagree. We have no idea if Dodds would have made a difference or not, The point is, the manager thought he would and so did the club. Now, lets say McIntyre had requested Basil Brush as assistant, i.e. someone with no football qualifications whatsoever, then I would have been in the front of the protests.   But the objection to Dodds was that he had hurt our feelings, not his ability. 

We fans put our feelings ahead of the survival of the club in the top league. As fans, our job was to support the club.  We failed. 

Out biggest job next year is to get behind the team. It's going to be hard enough as it is …...

Good evening.

My personal opinion at the time of the panicked appointment last year was they came as a managerial twosome or indeed not at all. They were after all an unproven entity apart.

With Mr Dodds not after all accompanying his partner that was a decision then to be made by Mr Nelms, hindsight not being a visual option unfortunately.

I agree though, we are now where we are, move on, look ahead and as always get behind the team.  

Best regards.

This Dodds argument is a nonsense. We didn't get relegated because he wasnt there (or at least a chance of staying up if he was).  We were relegated because the players brought in by McCann and then McIntyre were shite.  Easily the worst squad I have seen in years at Dens. 

21 minutes ago, Dark Blue Dick said:

In that case why was McIntyre appointed?    With the new appointment we needed an immediate feel good factor around Dens and the resultant ‘new manager bounce’.  For numerous reasons McIntyre's appointment was never likely to bring that.

2 minutes ago, dd23 said:

In an ideal world reject away.
In reality you would have had dogs abuse coming from the stands from day one, what little slack that was extended to McIntyre would not have been extended had Dodds been in tow.
There are certain appointments that are unacceptable to any football club.
Neil Lennon will never walk into Ibrox as manager, Terry Butcher won't get the gig at Celtic and John Robertson is unlikely to manage Hibs.
Also McIntyre and Dodds as best available candidates to save us from relegation?
I'm afraid I just don't buy it.
United had just rejected them. It was a rushed and spectacularly ill judged appointment.

I think the first thing is that we have to remember where we were. We were staring relegation in the face. and needed to turn things round, with the transfer window still months away.  My only concern was survival, the background of the potential candidates was last thing on my mind.

Were McIntyre and Dodds the best choice? That's irrelevant. (and my opinion was no) But the club appointed McIntyre, and McIntyre wanted Dodds.  The point is that the fans feelings should not then have been a factor, but the fans shouldn't have made it a factor. 

Lets postulate a hypothetical; would you prefer that we appointed Dodds and survived, or were relegated?  Which is more important to you? 

Please remember that I am not saying that Doods would have saved us. Who knows. 

8 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

This Dodds argument is a nonsense. We didn't get relegated because he wasnt there (or at least a chance of staying up if he was).  We were relegated because the players brought in by McCann and then McIntyre were shite.  Easily the worst squad I have seen in years at Dens. 

Hi RR (great album btw),

The argument is not that Dodds would have saved us, the argument is that McIntyre thought Dodds would have helped, but us fans vetoed the idea because it hurt our feelings, 

My complaint is that us fans put our feelings ahead of what the manager thought was best. 

Let’s look at this from another perspective.  If Dodds had been appointed along with McIntyre and we were still relegated (very likely given McIntyre’s appointments) would you not be more annoyed at yourself for not saying anything and just accepting him with a shrug of the shoulders?

9 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

How did we fail to support the club ? 7 points at home all season and we still kept going to support them. The season was over by this weekend and 160 of us still went to see us win..
Next season they wanted to fans pay early so they can budget for next season.... which got extended.... twice....
The price is still the same as what we would pay in the top flight... how can you justify paying that ?
The board have had a disaster and the blame lies at their door. Sacking McIntyre now? Very good

G_man,

I don't disagree with any of that. 

We failed to support the club by putting our feelings ahead of the managers choice of assistant.  Regardless of the eventual outcome, Dodds was the preferred choice, and we should have backed it.