All things Dundee FC

Just now, Ylf said:

source

Robert Thomson in the Sun. Hes bang on with Saints and United news, but no idea how he is with Dundee stuff.

News this morning is Nelms wants McIntyre to stay.
Not even trolling.
That's hardly news to be fair. He appointed him in milliseconds without bothering to go through decent due diligence regarding his amply lugged sidekick, therefore a large portion of the can full of shite that has to be carried now should be laid at his door.
It seems how much Keyes is bothered about the team on the park will be a deciding factor, or whether the evident proof of the last 3 years that Mr Nelms is spectacularly unsuited to making footballing decisions is incidental to the great crematorium development.
If Nelms comes back from the US with a vote of confidence in McIntyre and revised plans for a 1500 seater one sided gazebos as necessary multi purpose arena at Camperdown you'll have your answer.

News this morning is Nelms wants McIntyre to stay.
Not even trolling.

McIntyre has done well in the Championship/first division. I don’t think that’d be as catastrophic as Dundee fans might fear.

Just now, Savage Henry said:

McIntyre has done well in the Championship/first division. I don’t think that’d be as catastrophic as Dundee fans might fear.

Partick fans thought that about Archibald...

Will no doubt get pelters for this... but I'd have Hartley back in an instant.
My theory on Hartley is that he did well when he come to Dundee because he was able to recruit players who he generally knew quite well through his spell with Alloa before. He obviously knew Greg Stewart was a talent watching him come through the leagues as an opposition player and a lot of the senior players were guys who were closer to his era (played with Gowser at Celtic, Thomson with Scotland, the likes of McPake and Clarkson were regular opponents for years and most likely had a relationship with him). Apart from Tam Konrad, I don't think he managed to recruit anyone outwith that profile who had any success.

When those sorts of links were used up in his first couple of seasons with more of his era retiring and the talent he knew down the leagues drying up, he really started to struggle. It may have not been all of his fault at Falkirk but for a manager to sign 17 players and all of them to be shite is a remarkable achievement and makes me worry. If he was a master tactician, I could overlook if we could do something with that but I don't really think he was particularly good in that regard (we often went to Ibrox and Celtic Park with 4 attackers on the pitch and were surprised when Holt got ripped apart by two on one, the Scottish Cup tie was unforgivable in how amateurish the setup was with Loy defending against Tavernier).

I went through the pay offs of the last few years and compared it to other teams in the league and in our years up, we've had to settle 30 years worth of contracts with pay offs while St Johnstone have had like 3. That's a ridiculous stat and it really can't go on, we've been throwing money down the drain for years and both Hartley and McCann contributed hugely to that.

14 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

That is the equivalent of saying being sodomized without lube isn't as bad as some might think.

McIntyre is somehow worse than Neil McCant and that takes some doing.

They both had money in buckets to sort us out and both failed miserably. The board picked a jockey and backed them fully.  

I stick by what I said before in that relegation is probably the best thing for us. Something is wrong at a core level with the team if the end result is always the same and this is the time to fix it.

Robert Thomson in the Sun. Hes bang on with Saints and United news, but no idea how he is with Dundee stuff.
I'm choosing not to believe it. I just really can't see how a manager could survive this. I suspect that he'll go in the next week but we're just so inept that we don't even know how to sack a manager.

46 minutes ago, harry94 said:

My theory on Hartley is that he did well when he come to Dundee because he was able to recruit players who he generally knew quite well through his spell with Alloa before. He obviously knew Greg Stewart was a talent watching him come through the leagues as an opposition player and a lot of the senior players were guys who were closer to his era (played with Gowser at Celtic, Thomson with Scotland, the likes of McPake and Clarkson were regular opponents for years and most likely had a relationship with him). Apart from Tam Konrad, I don't think he managed to recruit anyone outwith that profile who had any success.

When those sorts of links were used up in his first couple of seasons with more of his era retiring and the talent he knew down the leagues drying up, he really started to struggle. It may have not been all of his fault at Falkirk but for a manager to sign 17 players and all of them to be shite is a remarkable achievement and makes me worry. If he was a master tactician, I could overlook if we could do something with that but I don't really think he was particularly good in that regard (we often went to Ibrox and Celtic Park with 4 attackers on the pitch and were surprised when Holt got ripped apart by two on one, the Scottish Cup tie was unforgivable in how amateurish the setup was with Loy defending against Tavernier).

I went through the pay offs of the last few years and compared it to other teams in the league and in our years up, we've had to settle 30 years worth of contracts with pay offs while St Johnstone have had like 3. That's a ridiculous stat and it really can't go on, we've been throwing money down the drain for years and both Hartley and McCann contributed hugely to that.

Not sure I fully agree with your assessment, but I do take your point and it is certainly a valid way to look at it.

My argument would be:

We are already behind the curveball - We have around 4 -5 players tied up for next season, the other teams have managers currently managing at that level so know what it's all about. Traditionally teams don't come straight back up when needing to do a massive overhaul. We have a massive rebuild ahead. We need someone that knows the league, knows what we are needing (In other words, knows the club somewhat) and finally, knows how to get out of that league.

6 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

knows how to get out of that league.

:lol: I assume this is a witty joke based on how he got on at Falkirk?

You've offered Blair Alston a contract. We've, for some reason, offered him a new deal aswell, while Hamilton have also made contact.

2 hours ago, Den Spark said:

We waited until there were three days left of a two-week international break to sack McCann. McIntyre will probably be handed his jotters after a pre-season defeat at Glebe Park.

That's the way the press release  worked but I am sure McCann went the midweek before and then when the legal documents were signed they made the announcement by which time they had McIntyre.

They then waited exactly 24 hours to do another release just in time for Sportsound again.

You've offered Blair Alston a contract. We've, for some reason, offered him a new deal aswell, while Hamilton have also made contact.

Was just away to reply on your thread that I’d take him at Dens. Whenever I’ve praised him in the past you’ve been less than enthusiastic about him.

28 minutes ago, Daydream said:

Was just away to reply on your thread that I’d take him at Dens. Whenever I’ve praised him in the past you’ve been less than enthusiastic about him.

He's alright. Flits between looking like a good top flight player and out of his depth both within games and just his form generally. He's only started one game since the turn of the year so I'm surprised he's getting an offer to be honest. I think he'll do well if you play to his strengths.

Edited by Kyle