All things Dundee FC

Always thought he looked a decent player wouldn't be a surpraise for another team in this league to take a chance on him.
id be very surprised. if he stays in scotland he will end up at morton or maybe queens. they will then punt him on to dumbarton or such like.

shame as i rated him when he applied himself. just didnt happen enough.

i think we have done reasonable business this window, on paper anyway, and im confident about our chances for the rest of the season now.

hypocritical question now but who would you have liked to see signed this window? no berbatov/adam pish but someone that we could realistically had a chance at.

mine would have been peter Hartley from Motherwell for a start. there was a few rumours he could leave and woild have walked into our defence.

second shout would have been scougall from the fermers. think he might have added that spark we were missing.

over to you guys!

13 minutes ago, ah-dee said:

i think we have done reasonable business this window, on paper anyway, and im confident about our chances for the rest of the season now.

hypocritical question now but who would you have liked to see signed this window? no berbatov/adam pish but someone that we could realistically had a chance at.

mine would have been peter Hartley from Motherwell for a start. there was a few rumours he could leave and woild have walked into our defence.

second shout would have been scougall from the fermers. think he might have added that spark we were missing.

over to you guys!

United seem to have done pretty good business, wouldn’t have been against signing some of the players they got to be honest. 

7 hours ago, Muggy said:

Reynolds is a solid signing too

Reynolds almost retired in the Summer due to injuries...

53 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Peter Pawlett is a c**t and has found his rightful home.

Pawlett had a good six months at Aberdeen, surrounded by being ineffective/injured.

There's a reason they're at United.

7 hours ago, Muggy said:

Reynolds is a solid signing too

He's a player I've wanted every window, maybe just broken now.

I think a lot of United's signings will be very hit and miss tbh. Reynolds, Connolly (to a lesser extent), Butcher, Pawlett and Sow have all had pretty major fitness/injury issues in the past few years - they all arrive with that still hanging over them. Gomis playing at a weird level (although I actually think he's kept himself quite fit and will be one of their success stories with a run of games). It's easy to spin it into a horror show if you are creative enough.

I suppose it might be an OK strategy as they probably just need two or three of them to get a run of games together - when we signed Nade, none of us were expecting him to put in the sort of work he did and he was arriving from a poorer level, maybe Neilson will get the most out of Sow.

For me though, we've needed something very different to United in this window. Quality has been required in some areas but I think it's been very important to get the character of the signings right- they need to be high work rate players. Relegation threatened teams often become the home of a lot of unfit shite earning their last contracts and not really caring - I'm pretty encouraged in the last two league games about the ones we've seen so far (and we only had 3 on the park against QotS - Dales impressed me and kept working to the end and chasing things down, trying to take people on) so hopefully we reverse the trend. I'm happy we didn't go the Mixu complete breakdown route and don't appear to have thrown huge money at a miracle fix.

The biggest signing for us might turn out to be Dieng. I like Parish but between him and Hamilton, we've had a 'keeper rooted to his spot for the entire season - I genuinely think any other first choice in the league would have been a better alternative. The new guy is not perfect - or else he wouldn't be here- but in the Hearts game for example, he must have killed about 6 or 7 attacks dead well outside his normal area. That might not seem that significant but when you are holding on to a game, that could equate to a long time playing around in our penalty area and I think before, we'd have had our possession in our own third drop by 10-20% by not having someone capable of doing that. I really don't think certain managers properly grasp the importance of a good 'keeper - we're seeing some incredible 'keepers coming through in England nowadays but even really good managers seem to have made errors when trading the really basic stuff for a 'distribution' type goalie: I have a feeling that McCann's focus on getting Hamilton was because he could train him to do this (which he isn't particularly good at either - his kicking did improve massively with the manager change though).

I’ve noticed Dieng likes to be way further from his goal line than our other keepers too. Which is fine in a lot of cases but I felt he was caught out with Dobbie’s first goal midweek because Dobbie spotted him off his line.

20 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I’ve noticed Dieng likes to be way further from his goal line than our other keepers too. Which is fine in a lot of cases but I felt he was caught out with Dobbie’s first goal midweek because Dobbie spotted him off his line.

Keepers who like a starting position further off  their line may get a caught out occasionally but overall I think it prevents more goals. I only saw the highlights but didn't think he was too far off his line on Tuesday. In the games I have seen he has certainly been very positive, can only help the back four

Edited by ScottyDee1893