All things Dundee FC

8 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

County are an anomaly this season.  Given the chairman has come out and said he's going to do everything he can (chuck money at it in other words) to get straight back to the Premiership.  Of course County fans will be enjoying this season.  They've won the league by virtue of being able to sign established Premiership players which neither of the other 9 clubs in the league can do.

'Having a Partick' is a red herring.  It's called cutting your cloth accordingly for playing in the tier below.

Can't agree with that.  1. Partick's squad is chronically underperforming and imbalanced.  They've done no more cloth cutting than County have.  2.  Who did County sign that was an established Premiership player?  Morris and McManus from Dunfermline.  Mullin from Livingston.  Paton from Stenhousemuir.  Stelios from St Mirren.  Vigurs from Inverness.  Keith Watson is arguable, but he's always injured so not really established.  Jamie Lindsay has played most of his first team football in the lower leagues.

Davies, Eagles, N'Gog, Routis, Mikkelsen, Chow, Schalk, Curran, Naismith, McCarey and Dow were all probably the top paid players.  Every other player took a 15% pay cut and reduction in bonuses.  

Frederick Frans took more money to sign with Dundee United.  Dundee United will get first dibs on any player in the Championship.  Craig Curran got a three year deal and a pay rise from them!

County have greatly reduced their playing costs.  It's a more than competitive budget, I grant you, but it's not as if they're encouraging players left right and centre to leave guaranteed games in the Premiership.  

But that's not the point.  It's entirely possible to make wholesale changes to the playing staffs after relegation, cut the budget, and still remain competitive.

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

I'd rather we somehow survived in the Premiership and had a clear out. No team needs a relegation. That league is a nightmare. 

This is always my thinking - having never seen 'Well in the lower leagues (/sly boast), it looks like an absolute fucking nightmare and in seasons like this where it looks like we are in the relegation mix, it gives me the fear I have to admit. I look at Dunfermline, Partick and - especially - Falkirk, and see clubs the same size as mine sitting in the bottom half of a really competitive league. The downward spiral effect is too serious a risk to go with the romantic "wouldn't it be great to go to some new grounds" type patter that you see from time to time. 

Given the nature of contracts given out by most diddy clubs now (ie - short ones) - there is no reason that a clear out and practically a new team can be in place without an accompanying relegation (we did going into last season for example).

2 hours ago, Dee Man said:

I'd rather we somehow survived in the Premiership and had a clear out. No team needs a relegation. That league is a nightmare. 

I can vouch for this...:green

Relegation is a nice change of scene, if you're challenging for the title at that point. Us trying to chase down Gretna to win the league is an experience we'll never have in the top flight.

Its an absolute nightmare if you're there too long though, seem to regress to the mean pretty quickly.

As much as I was/am uninspired by McIntyres appointment, I can’t blame him for the past two games. 

McCann has left a shite squad and Nelms gave McIntyre the job at a ludicrous time. If it’s true the players found out by what’sapp that’s amateur level stuff. Sacking a manager at the end of an international break again is amateur stuff.   If we are looking at the leadership and going WTF, the players are no doubt doing the same. 

It’s been a calamitous season so far. Hopefully Jim can turn it around. Finishing 10th would be a fantastic achievement giving the state this season has started in.

Looking at Dundee's squad from the outside, I reckon you guys need a relegation and a complete clear out like County did last year.  What you don't need, also like County last year, is this.
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3392094/martin-woods-dundee-transfer-news-jim-mcintyre-ross-county-partick-thistle/
The whole 'getting rid of deadwood' after relegation theory only works if you are a club the size of Hibs or Hearts. You get rid of the wage thieves and have a budget that dwarfs your rivals. Lapsed fans return in droves to see a winning team.

If you are anyone else it's a constant battle to avoid a death spiral.

12 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Should everyone be fit, I'd try a simple 4-5-1 out:

Parish

Kerr         Inniss            O'Dea/Kusunga/Meekings/Boyle (Delete as appropriate)        Ralph

Deacon/Curran      McGowan    Kamara   Madianga           Miller

Mendy/Kallman

The reason I've picked Mendy is because we've only seen him once with the opportunity to get behind defenders which was against St Mirren for 10 minutes on the opening day. If he's still as shite as we all suspect, then Kallman (Possibly even Moussa. :thumbsdown) to hold the ball up and bring our wingers into play. Miller, Deacon and Curran are the only players that give us any width and Miller and Curran are extremely suspect at the back - so let's just play them as wingers!

We do have 3 able CM's in Madianga, Kamara and McGowan but our team still looks extremely weak, but I reckon that sort of line-up would be playing to our very limited strengths until January.

I’d give 3-5-2 to a go until Ralph is fit because I think that’s probably best suited for current squad without a natural left back.   Could take your pick with 2 of the 3 centrehalfs as I think Innis must start. Kamara sitting in front of the 3 centrehalfs for protection with Madianga and Gowser to press higher up the park and try and dictate the game. The 2 wing backs to be attacking players rather than  defenders so I’d go for Curran and Miller. Up front would be Deacon floating about around another striker who’s going to stay central. 

I’d go  

Parish

Boyle, Innis, Meekings

Curram, Madianga, Kamara, Gowser, Miller

Deacon and A.N. Other

Id bring in Mendy for the Celtic game because Moussa, Miller and Kallman have offered little so far other than Kallman’s performance down at Hamilton. 

The team would need a change in personnel for the Celtic game with Miller being unavailable but I’d still stick to the same shape. 

Edited by Yenitit

I’d give 3-5-2 to a go until Ralph is fit because I think that’s probably best suited for current squad without a natural left back.   Could take your pick with 2 of the 3 centrehalfs as I think Innis must start. Kamara sitting in front of the 3 centrehalfs for protection with Madianga and Gowser to press higher up the park and try and dictate the game. The 2 wing backs to be attacking players rather than  defenders so I’d go for Curran and Miller. Up front would be Deacon floating about around another striker who’s going to stay central. 

I’d go  

Parish

Boyle, Innis, Meekings

Curram, Madianga, Kamara, Gowser, Miller

Deacon and A.N. Other

Id bring in Mendy for the Celtic game because Moussa, Miller and Kallman have offered little so far other than Kallman’s performance down at Hamilton. 

The team would need a change in personnel for the Celtic game with Miller being unavailable but I’d still stick to the same shape. 

Yeah I reckon 3-5-2 is the best way forward for this team. In a team with no injuries I’d have Parish in the goal. O’Dea, Innis and Meekings at the back. Curran and C.Miller as wingbacks. Kamara, Gowser and Kharl in the middle with Deacon and K.Miller* up top.

Surely that team is capable of picking up points?

For the Celtic game I’d be tempted to put Deacon at left wing back and put Nabi up top with K. Miller.

*I know he’s pish by unfortunately he’s probably still out best striker.

33 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Yeah I reckon 3-5-2 is the best way forward for this team. In a team with no injuries I’d have Parish in the goal. O’Dea, Innis and Meekings at the back. Curran and C.Miller as wingbacks. Kamara, Gowser and Kharl in the middle with Deacon and K.Miller* up top.

Surely that team is capable of picking up points?

For the Celtic game I’d be tempted to put Deacon at left wing back and put Nabi up top with K. Miller.

*I know he’s pish by unfortunately he’s probably still out best striker.

Hard to disagree with what you’ve posted. I d also put Deacon left wingback for the Celtic game. The only thing I’d be wary of is Kenny Miller because he’s produced nothing noteworthy so far. 

17 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

We've played all 4 of the top 4 in our last 4 games.

Not played Celtic yet, but yes and which game of the three so far have we been best in? Ah yeah, the one that McCann was in charge for...

2 hours ago, Yenitit said:

Hard to disagree with what you’ve posted. I d also put Deacon left wingback for the Celtic game. The only thing I’d be wary of is Kenny Miller because he’s produced nothing noteworthy so far. 

Might also get some stick for this but Moussa should be starting IMO, by no means the best and a poor finisher but what he does bring to the team is good, he works hard and can hold the ball up we need someone to hold the ball up and bring the other striker or wingers into play no one else seems to be very good at it.

5 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Moussa brings f**k all to the team, just like the rest of the shite bags.
He is a striker and he can't score goals. He dosnt hold the ball up that great either , he falls down looking for fouls.
The problem I have is they are all shite. The squad is awful.
Right now their is zero to be positive about.

Any youths coming through?

I agree with some aspects and he's not the best all round player but he was our main outlet and did well holding the ball up at the start of season.  We need someone like that in the team to keep the ball in advances areas whilst the rest of the team get forward he's the man to do that as far as I'm concerned.

McIntyre disagrees with you he though Kamara and Curran were 'excellent' against Hearts.  I don't see how you can say they're all shite when you've been raving about how good some of these players are in the past... the goalkeeper worries me, neither are good enough but Hamilton is scarily bad and Parish needs to start.

Edited by General

52 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

That's how bad we have came when we need to rely on Moussa to help us out. As a striker he is brutal.
Kallman seems lost.
Mendy hasn't really had much of a chance.
Miller is a joke.
Any youngster seems to get zero chance.

Zero to look forward to and the board have watched this happen.

A new stadium to look forward to in a few years time ?

Well yeah can't argue with that really, he's just the best of a bad bunch at that particular role.

Nelms doesn't have a clue, terrible timing to get rid of McCann, the whole appointment of Jim McIntyre doesn't inspire me and on the evidence so far inspires the players even less not to mention the Dodds situation.  Typical of Dundee though to have jokers in that sort of position at our club, Scot bloody Gardiner pretty much appointed Bomber Broon FFS.

4 minutes ago, General said:

Well yeah can't argue with that really, he's just the best of a bad bunch at that particular role.

Nelms doesn't have a clue, terrible timing to get rid of McCann, the whole appointment of Jim McIntyre doesn't inspire me and on the evidence so far inspires the players even less not to mention the Dodds situation.  Typical of Dundee though to have jokers in that sort of position at our club, Scot bloody Gardiner pretty much appointed Bomber Broon FFS.

Are you McCann?

He was fucking dreadful. The perfect time to get rid of him was when he first knocked back the job.

He has been in the job a week and played tough opposition. Our defence was shit before your boyfriend left and it's not going to be fixed over night either. 

Give the man a solid chance. At least wait until our first realistic shot at points (Motherwell and the other saints) before we all wet the bed.

1 minute ago, Crawford said:

Are you McCann?

He was fucking dreadful. The perfect time to get rid of him was when he first knocked back the job.

He has been in the job a week and played tough opposition. Our defence was shit before your boyfriend left and it's not going to be fixed over night either. 

Give the man a solid chance. At least wait until our first realistic shot at points (Motherwell and the other saints) before we all wet the bed.

I am not McCann, no but I have my eyes open and can see that the way McIntyre has set us out to play so far has been horrendous.  Two of the worst performances in the league this season, conceded seven going on twelve and scored none going on none.  There has been zero organisation, zero back to basics, I haven't seen much of that fight and determination we had against Hamilton and Kilmarnock.

Whilst I thought McCann was a strange appointment, even on the interim basis on which he was brought in (again, I feel Hartley could've achieved much the same in those last few games) the fact remains that overall in the league we haven't played nearly as bad as we did in these last two games.  Are you saying the players have looked inspired and eager to impress the new manager? 

You say the defence was shit beforehand - was it that bad that we lost seven goals (should've been more) in two games?

We lost 2-1 to St Mirren, one poor defending, one the goalkeeper f**k up - should have won the game.
We lost 1-0 to Aberdeen to a penalty kick - should have got something from the game.
We lost 1-0 to St Johnstone, again should have got something from the game.

We then had a bad patch and conceded a few goals losing 3-1 to Motherwell, 4-0 to Rangers and 3-0 to Hibs.  The Motherwell game we changed the shape and were going for an equaliser got caught on the break as happens.

We went to Hamilton, clean sheet won the game.
We lost to Killie 2-1 to a dodgy penalty and a deflection.

Now say what you like, we're all entitled to our opinions but in the first eight games was the defence shit in them all? The answer is no, we took a couple of hammering to Rangers and Hibs put our problems were in the other box.  All of a sudden after the positives of the last two games and starting to build confidence back up we've been absolutely battered by both Livi and Hearts.  it's fair to say that the four teams we've been hammered from so far, Rangers (more so at Ibrox than away), Hibs, Livi and Hearts are good teams.  IMO in most of the league games we have played relatively well, the general feel around the club and supporters was until recently that the players would gel, things would click but as usual people get impatient and make rash decisions one of those being bringing in a man that plays a contrasting style of football, hasn't put us back to basics and has killed any confidence from the positives from the last two games prior to his arrival.  I've said it before and I'll say it again I really, really hope Jim McIntyre can turn it around for us but I'm not going to be holding my breath he is in my opinion the wrong appointment and sadly I think I'll be proven right.

I understand that he is only a week in the job but as I pointed out before, this is the worst start of any Dundee manager at least since before Bonetti and probably longer.  Hartley, Brown, Smith, Jocky were all only in the door from 1-4 days and managed to get results, managed to make us organised, managed to make us hard to beat so I don't buy the argument about not having enough time to work with them, that is the fault of John Nelms - if a change was to be made waiting ten days obviously wasn't the way to do it but that apart you can get your ideas over to the players, tell them what their jobs are and organise them, set the team up in a way to make us difficult to beat and he's done none of that so far.  I don't want to be critical of him, I wish I could be here praising him saying what a fantastic start and he's the man to take us forward but the reality is the opposite.